Info and advice

rapid

Hi guys this is my first post here..so be nice:smilewink:.

I used to play Longbow 2 back in the day and to me there has never been any Helicopter sim ever that has come close to touching it for realism etc. I have seen the threads on other forums about how to make it run under vista but have never seen the point in resurrecting such an old game.

Over the years I have been trawling through the web searching for the holy grail hoping to see a thread saying " Lonbow3 in production" but no such luck. But all that changed when I found out about DCS:Black Shark and I'm happy to say I will be buying it when it comes around my way.

I have just built myself a new PC and this would be a great flight sim to put on it.

Question: does anybody know if Black Shark has a "bitching Mary" on board? -that's your co-pilot who gets agitated when your under attack.(longbow 2 had this)

Question: will we be able to pick up radio chatter from other pilots? (longbow 2 had this)

Question: would this game support force feed back? (longbow 2 had this)

Question: what joy stick would you guys recommend X 52 or X 52 pro or a thrust master hotas.......pedals can come later.

I played longbow 2 with joystick and keyboard is it worth getting a throttle unit as well?

And here is my new PC Monitor has been replaced!>>> my new pc build clcik here

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Question: does anybody know if Black Shark has a "bitching Mary" on board? -that's your co-pilot who gets agitated when your under attack.(longbow 2 had this)

Question: what joy stick would you guys recommend X 52 or X 52 pro or a thrust master hotas.......pedals can come later.

I played longbow 2 with joystick and keyboard is it worth getting a throttle unit as well?

And here is my new PC Monitor has been replaced!>>> my new pc build clcik here

Hi,

we´are allways nice here ;)

I can answer 3 of your questions easily.

Ka-50 is a single seater, so you don't have someone in the front to worry about.

Joystick choise....it's a matter of budget and personal feeling I would say. Cougar is wonderful...at least when modded I hear. But then it's twice the cost as the standard Cougar! X-52 or x-52 pros are working fine. I have the standard x-52, slightly moded. Never had a problem with it.

All of these come with throttle as standard, so no need to buy an extra.

Edited by CoNa

Over the years I have been trawling through the web searching for the holy grail ...
You can now stop searching for Longbow 3! Black Shark is almost here and will rule the helicopter simulations for the next decade or even more. And I can't wait for that Octobar 17 ...

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Ka-50 is a single seater, so you don't have someone in the front to worry about.

By Bithing Mary or Bety you mean prerecorder voices that your avionics plays in moments of threat. You don't need a copilot to say that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your time. X52 pro or hotas? not to worried about the price.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

By Bithing Mary or Bety you mean prerecorder voices that your avionics plays in moments of threat. You don't need a co-pilot to say that.

No i think we got i wires crossed as its a one seater i guess we wont have it. but what i meant was my co pilot would shout " where taking fire" splash one bad guy" " SAM SAM" "mig 12 o'clock high" " hellfire away" etc.

Edited by rapid

• ED Team

The Ka-50 is a single seat attack helo, no co-pilot. However there is a voice message unit (VMU) we call her Rita.

Question: will we be able to pick up radio chatter from other pilots? (longbow 2 had this)

Not for Black Shark but this is a high priority for the next module.

Yes

I'll let testers give their opinion. I personally use a combination of CH and TM gear.

If you are looking at plug and play all day and $ is no object, then I suggest CH Products. I'f you're looking for world wide resellers, here's a list of them.

As you can see in this thread/topic, there are many options. Good luck!

:joystick:

Yes

Because of that I'd recommend a good force feedback stick. In Lockon FC right now flying the AFM aircraft (Su25/T) with FFB is just awesome, even the the other flyables with out AFM are just soo much better IMO with forces that I wouldn't consider anything else ;) . But I know some people like their buttons :P .

Ok on a side note I thought it was Nagging Nadia for the Russians and Bitching Betty for the U.S? When did Rita get invited to the party?

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

The Ka-50 is a single seat attack helo, no co-pilot. However there is a voice message unit (VMU) we call her Rita.

Yes

I'll let testers give their opinion. I personally use a combination of CH and TM gear.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer thanks a lot.

I don't know what that was in Longbow 2, never played it. Maybe there was a copilot shouting. But you refered to it as a Bithing... So I clarified what should that mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitching_Betty

The term "bitching" was given to the co-pilot due to his

nervous disposition as you never have played longbow2 you would not of known what i was taking about. sorry for the confusion.

Because of that I'd recommend a good force feedback stick. In Lockon FC right now flying the AFM aircraft (Su25/T) with FFB is just awesome, even the the other flyables with out AFM are just soo much better IMO with forces that I wouldn't consider anything else ;) . But I know some people like their buttons :P .

Ok on a side note I thought it was Nagging Nadia for the Russians and Bitching Betty for the U.S? When did Rita get invited to the party?

so what is your set up?:)

If you are looking at plug and play all day and $ is no object, then I suggest CH Products. I'f you're looking for world wide resellers, here's a list of them.

As you can see in this thread/topic, there are many options. Good luck!

thanks i'll check out your links.

I have a M$FFB 2.. And it works great. Stick shaker for stall just like the real thing, stick centering increases the faster you go, Rumble when firing the cannon on AFM aircraft etc..

Thanks I used to use a MS sidewinder everytime I fired a Hellfire missile the joy stick would FFB

Ok guys which one to buy the X52 pro or Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar i gather the x52 has no force feed back which is something i want.

Edited by rapid

Neither of them has.

I own both a Cougar and a X52Pro. For Jet-sims I use the Cougar and for prop- and helo sims the X52Pro. The Cougar is WAY to stiff for flying helos for my liking. :joystick:

Darn it what are your views on using a force Feed Back joystick with Helo sims? As the game supports it it would be a waste not to use it.

Hmmm what about the Cyborg EVO FFB that would leave me without a thrust lever, would using a single joystick and keyboard be

sufficient with BS?

Edited by rapid

I have the X52 and the cyborg.... the cyborg's FFB is nice, but I find the stick too skinny for my liking. it also has less buttons and hat sticks, so I never use it.

I'm going to stick with the HOTAS for now, and maybe someday there will be a FFB HOTAS on the market.

p.s. I can use the cyborg with the X52 throttle, so if you want you can spend the extra money and mix and match...

p.s.s The Cyborg has a small sliding lever for a throttle, but it makes a poor collective IMHO.

Edited by crazysundog
addendum

I have the X52 and the cyborg.... the cyborg's FFB is nice, but I find the stick too skinny for my liking. it also has less buttons and hat sticks, so I never use it.

I'm going to stick with the HOTAS for now, and maybe someday there will be a FFB HOTAS on the market.

p.s. I can use the cyborg with the X52 throttle, so if you want you can spend the extra money and mix and match...

p.s.s The Cyborg has a small sliding lever for a throttle, but it makes a poor collective IMHO.

Well im still gonig to thank you crazysundog for your input and first hand usage and information.

you are correct it would be a waste of money buying two sets of joysticks someything i will have to consider.

Edited by rapid

I really value this highly. As good as it is to have a realistic chopper, I always thought it was very important to feel like you are actually fighting FOR someone or something too. I have played a few chopper games, Longbow 2, Apache vs Havoc, and they both had this and I loved it. It added extra tension and purpose to everything. I wasn't just jumping in to a flight simulator, I felt like I was actually going out on a mission and winning or losing mattered.

The best of all for me, as I've said countless times, was Gunship 2000 :) That barely had any speech at all, but that was an action gamers dream. It had some good sim elements too but wow... the promotion aspect of that game was fantastic. It unlocked better choppers and let you control more wingmen etc. I really hope you have played it some time in your life. If not, I hope you can some time. (You can play it using DOSBOX).

If there is one ultimate wishlist I had for your DCS game, it would be to encompass that from GS2000.

Edited by telepathiclove

Well they have done good so far lets hope they add these things in the next module.

Edited by rapid