F-14 Bankler's Case 1 Mission = crash every time I change slots?

GunSlingerAUS

Firstly, let me say I LOVE this mission. Huge help for Tomcat drivers like me. Thank you for creating it.

Secondly, it sadly now causes my DCS to crash 100% of the time whenever I choose another slot for the Tomcat to respawn in the air. It's done it 5 times in a row now. Note that I have been away from DCS for a few months, so am running a clean install, latest beta, with Voice Attack, SimShaker and DCS UFC script plug ins.  I've never had this problem before, and have logged many, many hours using this mission. I haven't tried any multiplayer yet, but other DCS missions seem to run fine - but they don't require me to change slot. It's only when I use the slot-change feature that it's causing my DCS to just hang. So badly in fact, that I have to hard reboot my PC.

DCS doesn't seem to be generating a new crash log when this happens either - the date on it is several days ago.

Any ideas, as I really need this baby to get me back into shape so I can fly with my squadron - right now my landings are a red-hot wave-off mess!

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hi. Is it a proper crash (automatic way back to Desktop) or is it an eternal freeze (Ctrl+Alt+Del mandatory)?

If it's a freeze, the issue is discussed here.

If it's a crash, please attach your dcs.log file ( C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log ).

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

It does not seem limited to Bankler's Mission, I 'm getting a crash in other missions as well. It's a soft crash with a dialog box from DCS to write a log and send to them. Then dumps to Desktop but does not seem to crash anything else like USB devices, TrackIR, VoiceAttack, etc....just restart DCS and I'm back at the beginning. It is not consistent but I only see it when choosing a 2nd slot after an initial flight...never occurs on the 1st slot selection. Hope that helps.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

It's a crash, then. Please attach the most recent ZIP file you can find in your C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs" folder. You said you had none, but it is usually generated when DCS shows a dialog box during a crash.

@Flappie...the ZIP logs have been sent about 3-4 times so far I as followed the dialog message and it launched a CMD batch program to ZIP & Ship. 

Here's a recent one from 6/12 attached 

dcs.log-20210612-175447.zip

@Flappie.....BTW, the mission here involves slots with both F/A-18 and A-10C TankKiller if that makes any difference.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

6 minutes ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@Flappie...the ZIP logs have been sent about 3-4 times so far I as followed the dialog message and it launched a CMD batch program to ZIP & Ship.

Keep them coming. 👍

The thing is I'm not an ED employee, which means I don't have access to automatic crash reports.

I'm happy to inform you the crashes you're having (second mission loading crash bug) have been fixed in open beta . However, your open beta is not up to date (2.7.1.6430). You should be able to update it to 2.7.1.7139.

1. Go to "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\"
  2. Run DCS_updater.exe

Tell us if no update shows up.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, I'll update today and try & fly it again.

Cheers,

It's a full crash - sometimes I can't even shut down DCS, and have to do a full reboot. I've attached my crash log - halp!

dcs.20210428-112320.crash

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

14 hours ago, Flappie said:

Your crash log dates back from April 28th ("20210428-112320").

Please attach the most recent ZIP file you can find in your "Saved Games\DCS...\Logs" folder.

That is my most recent crash, even though the crashes started happening on the 15th June. It seems it's such a severe crash that DCS isn't even generating a crash log. I enter the mission, fly as per usual, then when I select another slot to respawn a new aircraft, DCS totally hangs. I have to control+alt+delete to shut down DCS, and even this sometimes doesn't work, requiring a hard reboot to get my PC back in order. I've tested approximately 10 other games since doing the new PC build, and everything else runs flawlessly, as well as running multiple hours of stress-test benchmarks. The fact it only happens when choosing a new slot, and is 100% reproducible, strongly suggests it's a DCS-specific issue.

Will do some more testing today with the latest patch, and joining slots in multiplayer servers.

Ok, just tested again with today's patch - still crashes the game, with a DCS.exe not responding error. It seems you guys are referring to this as a freeze. No new log file created. 

Update - ran a Steam repair, and it's fixed the problem!