Forced Wind Speed

dresoccer4

I'm getting frustrated at the forced wind speeds when changing the ground level speeds. The speed at 1600ft is forced to be MUCH higher than ground speed.

As a pilot IRL, I know this is not how real wind works. If I have a 5 knot ground speed I can have a 5 knot speed at 1600' there's no rule that says it must be much higher. Can someone help point me in the right direction on how to stop the forced wind speed corrections?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The windspeed in the atmospheric boundary layer is not constant. If you have experienced equal windspeeds at ground and at 1600ft you've experienced an exceptional event. Wind speeds should increase with higher altitude. I cannot judge if the model used in DCS is accurate though.

It is not very accurate.

At least this is not normal that you have 22 knots of Wing at surface level and just at 1600 feet you just have 47 knots. It could happen but it is surely not the normal gradient.

It is normal that you have a higher wind speed the higher you fly but more than 100% in just 1600 feet is not a usual phenomena. It almost meets the criteria as what is defined in aviation as Wind Shear 30 knots different wind speed in a relatively short distance. Does not reach that level but it is very close.

I hope this is eventually addressed.

Edited by Furia
  • Like 1

I googled 'atmospheric boundary layer formula' and put your data in the equation that was presented. I actually found 46.7 kts for 1600ft for your reference height of 22kts @ 5ft height (assumed ground level). so pretty much the same as your finding. Mind you, the value is highly dependent on the surface conditions. The 46.7 kts is for open land with grass. For surfaces described by 'farms, small obstacles' (airport like?) the windspeed at 1600ft is even higher; 54.1kts.  For cities it's 117.4kts. I don't think ED has specified the surface conditions for all terrains, but it sure would be possible.

I think you (and myself at first) underestimate the wind speeds at height. It's not ground level that is decisive. It's the friction of ground and obstacles that slows down the high speed undisturbed air above you.

Edited by Wrcknbckr

• 2 months later...