Slow Down tutorial request please.

Stratos

Thanks to everyone, specially Nazradu and randomTOTEN for the practical lessons. I'm getting there slowly, even managing some landings from hover, really enjoying it. Is now time to learn the unguided weapons, the missiles are fun to use, but unguided are confuse with the two gunsights.

May I ask, how exactly the TRIM mode should work and what is broken in the sim?

• Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

What should happen is that you move the stick to where you want it trimmed, press the trimmer button, then swiftly recenter manually.  Of course this has the issue of your controls wobbling if you don't recenter fast enough on your physical end.  There is an alternative special option for trimming that instead locks the controls where you trimmed at and then unlocks them when you recenter your physical hardware.  This should solve the issue of wobbling when trimming.

The problem, and what is broken, is that sometimes the trimmer over trims on centering, causing the new center to be up to twice as much trim as you entered.  Say you trimmed at x: 25, Y: 25.  Instead it jumps up to X and Y 50.  Causing you to immediately have to retrim again.  It's not an every time thing though, it only happens occasionally. Thinking about it.  It could also happen consecutively if you're rather unlucky.

Remember though that the Hind has two trimming systems, the mag lock and an aircraft style hat trim (beep trimming is what I've usually heard it called, but that's a term from the Gazelle guys, I think.)  

The trick I use is that every time you do a full mag lock trim be prepared to input opposite beep trim.  You can quite quickly correct the trimmers over input with the beep trimmer.   Hopefully it is fixed soon. 🙂

Edited by Fenin
  • Thanks 1

I almost never use the button trimmer. The hat trim is much easier to make fine adjustments by (honestly you can fly almost entirely by trim) and not bugged.

Interestingly, I've noticed I do still have to reset trim fairly often, as my pedals often end up with a high degree of trim that I didn't command - possibly AP doing this but it's not canceled by pedal even in AP mode.

For the unguided weapons (and everything really) I find it helps a lot to reduce brightness of each gunsight. The static sight I reduce to about 50% usually, and the CCIP sight by a little bit less. Depends on the lighting conditions, of course, sometimes you need them much dimmer than that even. But when they're not the same max brightness it's much easier to parse out what they're telling you.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:20 AM, nazradu said:

I guess you should point out the lack of optical and auditiv feedback in the transition in other words the shaking wich imo is lacking due to EA status and might be implemented later on.

Yea, that's something I covered in my first impressions video. It sounds like the real hind provides very little feedback during transverse flow, but I still interpret that as "more than nothing at all" which is what we have now. So at the moment yea, you're pretty reliant on your instruments to know when the right time to start feeding collective back in is.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:50 PM, unipus said:

Interestingly, I've noticed I do still have to reset trim fairly often, as my pedals often end up with a high degree of trim that I didn't command - possibly AP doing this but it's not canceled by pedal even in AP mode.

This should not be happening. It might be some kind of control\trim bug. If you're flying with the YAW AP SAS channel on, then what should be happening is that the helicopter will try to YAW into the last known heading for any given torque. Always use your pedals in turns (this disables the YAW AP channel, and sets a new heading after pedals are returned to neurtral) and correct as necessary (again with pedals). 

You should never have to use trim reset, except maybe in an emergency. I'm not sure that the real chopper even has a trim reset button. (Please correct me if Im wrong about this) 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This should not be happening. It might be some kind of control\trim bug. If you're flying with the YAW AP SAS channel on, then what should be happening is that the helicopter will try to YAW into the last known heading for any given torque. Always use your pedals in turns (this disables the YAW AP channel, and sets a new heading after pedals are returned to neurtral) and correct as necessary (again with pedals). 

You should never have to use trim reset, except maybe in an emergency. I'm not sure that the real chopper even has a trim reset button. (Please correct me if Im wrong about this) 

Yeah, I generally fly with the yaw channel on and use pedal to command turns. I still fairly often will realize I'm in a heavy crab, look down, and see the pedals are locked pretty heavily deflected. No idea if this is correct behavior or not but it sure seems like a bug.

23 minutes ago, unipus said:

Yeah, I generally fly with the yaw channel on and use pedal to command turns. I still fairly often will realize I'm in a heavy crab, look down, and see the pedals are locked pretty heavily deflected. No idea if this is correct behavior or not but it sure seems like a bug.

This "could" be correct behavior if you've executed a turn just using a cyclic and did not correct with pedals. The helicopter will try to yaw back to it's last known heading. This is fairly easy to check. The next time it happens, just push the pedals into the heading you want the helicopter to take and when you achieve the desired nose position release the pedals to neutral. They will still be deflected (depending on torque, speed etc) but the helicopter should then be pointing in the desired direction. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.