[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - Jul 2023

@MAXsenna ... I moved the monitor just to try it and all I got was sort of a zoomed in version of where I was looking with my TrackIR 😁 Thanks for your time on this, I won't waste any more of it. It would be nice to get it to work but I'm not going to stress over it. BTW, with the small screen on the right it cured the mouse offset issue in the mission editor LOL

• Like 1

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

@MAXsenna ... I moved the monitor just to try it and all I got was sort of a zoomed in version of where I was looking with my TrackIR Thanks for your time on this, I won't waste any more of it. It would be nice to get it to work but I'm not going to stress over it. BTW, with the small screen on the right it cured the mouse offset issue in the mission editor LOL
Don't worry. It's not a waste of time. Actually, you should try to export it to the main screen, just to make sure the export works.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

@MAXsenna - I was sent this link by the guys at Cubesim. It seems other people have been experiencing the TV not coming on in the second monitor, i.e. all they get is the black screen ... https://forum.dcs.world/topic/178769-radar-nav-export/

In the link there is a ZIP file with replacement init.lua files for the AJS-37 Viggen TV-Indicator and the Radar. In the init.lua file for the TV-Indicator it adds the lines:

21 dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua") 
22 try_find_assigned_viewport("Shkval","LEFT_MFCD")

Does that make any sense to you?

Regards

Nial

AJS37.ZIP

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

Yes, the same as mine ...

Viggen TV.jpg

The only thing I noticed is that the viewport in Helios has the name field as AJS37 Viggen_TV without the underscore after AJS37 as above. The Text field in Helios has AJS37_Viggen_TV with the underscore. I'm not a coder either but I might just change line 21 above and remove the underscore. It'll either work or it won't 😃

Sorry if this is solved already, I haven't read the whole thread

Here is the required modified files, tested working, for the export of the Viggen Radar, and EP13 TV display

Viggen Export.zip

In your monitor config file you will need to define the positions of the displays, like you do for an MFD

eg

VIGGEN_RADAR =
{
x = 2650;
y = 390;
width = 960;
height = 960;
}

EP13 =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

With the names as above

VIGGEN_RADAR
and
EP13

The export of the EP13 isn't exactly brilliant, it has an odd shape, but it works.

2 hours ago, Nialfb said:

Yes, the same as mine ...

Viggen TV.jpg

The only thing I noticed is that the viewport in Helios has the name field as AJS37 Viggen_TV without the underscore after AJS37 as above. The Text field in Helios has AJS37_Viggen_TV with the underscore. I'm not a coder either but I might just change line 21 above and remove the underscore. It'll either work or it won't 😃

Are you sure? You sent me this file:

image.png

That's fine. Try to put it on the main screen just to see that the export works.

image.png

Edited by MAXsenna

@MAXsenna ... LOL Yes, that was one of my files. The Schkval  comes from the Su-27T and it is from the CUBESIM.lua file. It was a file someone had posted on another forum. I tried moving the TV to the main screen but something has totally screwed up now! When I run the additional viewports I get the message that I already ran it and a whole list of errors. I'v enow rolled it back to see if I am able to run it again on a completely new profile.

In the meantime I'm going to try the init.lua files uploaded by @jonsky7 above. Watch this space! 😃

• Like 1

@jonsky7 ... 4Thanks for that, it worked, but as you said the screen is an odd shape. I don't know what would cause thsat because if you get up close to the TV screen reticle it is a rectangular screen inside the reticle. I still have this weird thing going on in the Mission Editor whereby by cursor is offset from the object I'm trying to select so I can't actually click on anything. If I place an aircraft down in th eMission Editor I can see the offset as the plane is dropped in to the left of my cursor.

I added the EP13 lines to my CUBESIM.lua file which I use for the Su-25T Schkval. I didn't have the cursor offset problem until I put the EP13 in. I also get the cursor offset issue when I use Helios profile for the EP13.

@MAXsenna ... thanks for your help on this. I have removed everytihng that Helios added and I am going to have one more go, starting afresh again. I WILL get it to work using Helios 🤣

• Like 1

@jonsky7 ... 4Thanks for that, it worked, but as you said the screen is an odd shape. I don't know what would cause thsat because if you get up close to the TV screen reticle it is a rectangular screen inside the reticle. I still have this weird thing going on in the Mission Editor whereby by cursor is offset from the object I'm trying to select so I can't actually click on anything. If I place an aircraft down in th eMission Editor I can see the offset as the plane is dropped in to the left of my cursor.

I added the EP13 lines to my CUBESIM.lua file which I use for the Su-25T Schkval. I didn't have the cursor offset problem until I put the EP13 in. I also get the cursor offset issue when I use Helios profile for the EP13.

@MAXsenna ... thanks for your help on this. I have removed everytihng that Helios added and I am going to have one more go, starting afresh again. I WILL get it to work using Helios 🤣

I've had a look at your previous Cubesim.lua file, but it doesn't have the entry for the Schkval, 

so can you upload your most current monitor config file.
Also include a screenshot of your current window display settings page, with the resolutions of your screens.

As for the naming of the viewports. The init.lua files in the indicator folder of whatever instrument you are trying to export simply sets the name of that viewport/export.
In your monitor config file you assign a viewport name and output it in the position you define.

So the init.lua file is simply saying
try_find_assigned_viewport("VIGGEN_RADAR")
"hey, in the monitor config file, is there a viewport named "VIGGEN_RADAR"? If there is, export this instrument display to that position.

And then in the monitor config file you have
VIGGEN_RADAR =
{
x = 2650;
y = 390;
width = 960;
height = 960;
}

Oh yes, there is a viewport called VIGGEN_RADAR, I'll export the instrument display to that position.

You can name the export anything you like really. Doesn't matter if it's called VIGGEN_RADAR, AJS37_RADAR, or Robert for that matter.
As long as the name in the init.lua of the instrument, and the one in your monitor config file is the same.
The capitalization of the name is important, as does any underscores etc.
eg
Viggen_RADAR
is not the same as
VIGGEN_RADAR 

If the init.lua has a line like
try_find_assigned_viewport("VIGGEN_RADAR", "LEFT_MFCD")

Then the output will first search for the name VIGGEN_RADAR, and if it doesn't find it, it will search for LEFT_MFCD, and if it doesn't find that, then the display will  not be exported.

I've seen a few people who use cubesim display have this problem with an offset cursor, it's not about 80 pixels off is it?

I usually recommend that your main screen is the most left in display settings
cubesim.jpg

Although that brings about it's own challenges with things like the kneeboard. Most of them can be fixed, with a bit more modification.
It often takes a considerable amount of time to get this multi-monitor malarky working as you'd like it too.
I persoanlly find it's worth it, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it for you.
Luckily, it always seems like there is somebody to lend a hand.

Oh, I've just noticed too, in one of the files you have uploaded you have
try_find_assigned_viewport("Shkval","LEFT_MFCD")

check the spelling of Shkval !!!

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

@jonsky7 ... this is my Cubesim.lus file as provided by Garfiled at Cubesim (excluding the EP13 lines that I put in following your earlier message):

cubesim.lua file.jpg    

This works fine with Su-25T Schkval. It works fine with the EP13 other than the cursor offset. I tried changing the X and y start point to x=100, Y=0 and also x=0, y=0 but I still got the offset. My Cubesit screen is  set to be to th etop left of my main monitor as you can see from the code above. If my understanding is correct, changing the cubesim to the right would change the offsets to Centre = x=0, y=0 and the cubesim to x=3840, y=0 (Maybe offset it 80, so x=3920, y=0)

Cheers

Nial

Okay, I changed my lua file as follows and it works fine now - other than the weird shape of the shape of the AJS-37 TV screen -

cubesim.lua 001 file.jpg

I tested the AJS-37 and the Su-25T and both the Schkval and the TV screen are up and running. Also, the cursor now works in the mission editor 👌👍

BTW - the lua file with line "try_find_assigned_viewport("Shkval","LEFT_MFCD")" came from someone elses lua file that they were using.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nialfb said:

Okay, I changed my lua file as follows and it works fine now - other than the weird shape of the shape of the AJS-37 TV screen -

cubesim.lua 001 file.jpg

I tested the AJS-37 and the Su-25T and both the Schkval and the TV screen are up and running. Also, the cursor now works in the mission editor 👌👍

BTW - the lua file with line "try_find_assigned_viewport("Shkval","LEFT_MFCD")" came from someone elses lua file that they were using.

Ok cool, glad you got it working, as well as can be anyway. 

So I believe that the Su-25T Shkval screen is exported to the RIGHT_MFCD position. That code is buried within the encrypted files of the Flaming Cliffs aircraft but I'm pretty sure that it is.

You didn't have an entry for either Shkval or LEFT_MFCD in you Cubesim.lua file, that's why the export wasn't working before.

You can, if you wish, change the TV-Indicator init.lua line from 

try_find_assigned_viewport("EP13") 
to
try_find_assigned_viewport("RIGHT_MFCD")

You could then delete the EP13 entry from your cubesim file and return everything to the way you had it before and with any luck the cursor problem wouldn't be an issue.

@jonsky7 ... I'll give it a go 👍 I'm just loking to see if I can move the position of the Kneeboard. At the momnet it is too far to the right, half way in th emain window and half way in th ecubesim window, so I have to click on it and drag it across to the main window. Once it's ther, it stays there for the flight.

@MAXsenna ... I see you posted on the forum regarding moving th edefault position of th ekneeboard. Did anything come of that?

• Like 1

@jonsky7 ... I'll give it a go I'm just loking to see if I can move the position of the Kneeboard. At the momnet it is too far to the right, half way in th emain window and half way in th ecubesim window, so I have to click on it and drag it across to the main window. Once it's ther, it stays there for the flight.
@MAXsenna ... I see you posted on the forum regarding moving th edefault position of th ekneeboard. Did anything come of that?

Ehhh... Kneeboard for which module? Should work for all modules, maybe not for FC3.
Super cool that you've got it working. I just can't understand why it didn't with the Helios generated files. I find it much quicker that messing with individual files and viewports that conflicts with FC3. Yes, all FC3 needs LEFT and/or RIGHT MFD statements, while other modules can have other names assigned. To have all my FC3 working, I have different profiles and I use Skatezilla's tool to launch presets before I start DCS.

37 minutes ago, Nialfb said:

@jonsky7 ... I'll give it a go 👍 I'm just loking to see if I can move the position of the Kneeboard. At the momnet it is too far to the right, half way in th emain window and half way in th ecubesim window, so I have to click on it and drag it across to the main window. Once it's ther, it stays there for the flight.

You can move the kneeboard anywhere you like with some modification.

See this thread, scroll down a bit till you see the title about moving the kneeboard.

• Like 1

I changed the position of the Viewport in the ViewportHandling.lua file (line 33). The filepath can be seen in the attached screen capture. I opened the kneeboard in the AJS-37, positioned it and sized it that suited me,  and did a full screen capture. I opened it in my photo editing software and then used the rulers to determine the position (top left corner - 2865,100) and the width and height of th ekneeboard (765,1165). I saved th elua file, opened the Kneeboard in the Viggen and TADA!, exactly where I set it. I think it should open in th esame place on all planes but I really only ever use it in th eViggen anyway.

Viewport.jpg

I assume this will reset to default next time DCS is updated so I saved it as a backup in th esame file path. Easy to swap out when they update it again.

16 minutes ago, Nialfb said:

I changed the position of the Viewport in the ViewportHandling.lua file (line 33). The filepath can be seen in the attached screen capture. I opened the kneeboard in the AJS-37, positioned it and sized it that suited me,  and did a full screen capture. I opened it in my photo editing software and then used the rulers to determine the position (top left corner - 2865,100) and the width and height of th ekneeboard (765,1165). I saved th elua file, opened the Kneeboard in the Viggen and TADA!, exactly where I set it. I think it should open in th esame place on all planes but I really only ever use it in th eViggen anyway.

Viewport.jpg

I assume this will reset to default next time DCS is updated so I saved it as a backup in th esame file path. Easy to swap out when they update it again.

You seem to have modified the ViewportHandling.lua, and this is fine if you only play single player.

If you want to play multiplayer, you will need to follow the guide step-by-step and do this same alteration to the ViewportHandling-resize.lua file instead!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Ehhh... Kneeboard for which module? Should work for all modules, maybe not for FC3.
Super cool that you've got it working. I just can't understand why it didn't with the Helios generated files. I find it much quicker that messing with individual files and viewports that conflicts with FC3. Yes, all FC3 needs LEFT and/or RIGHT MFD statements, while other modules can have other names assigned. To have all my FC3 working, I have different profiles and I use Skatezilla's tool to launch presets before I start DCS. emoji106.pngemoji2532.png

If you're interested MAX, you can now configure your exports by aircraft type in your monitor config file.

As an example:
In the A-10A, which has a Right MFCD, you could export it to a position we'll call 1
Then when you jump into the Su-25T, which also uses Right MFCD, you can export it to position 2

Which would mean you wouldn't have to load separate profiles for each aircraft.

See in the guide linked above for further info.

it looks something like.....

_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('JB by type');
Description = 'JB by type';
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 2560/1440;
}
}

function reconfigure_for_unit(unit_type) 
    if unit_type == "A-10C" then

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

elseif unit_type == "Su-25T" then

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 2560;
y = 360;
width = 1720;
height = 1080;
}

elseif unit_type == "A-10A" then

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 6210;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

else

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 5130;
y = 360;
width = 825;
height = 825;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 2560;
y = 360;
width = 1720;
height = 1080;
}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

UIMainView = 
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 2560;
height = 1440;
}

• Like 1

If you're interested MAX, you can now configure your exports by aircraft type in your monitor config file.

As an example:
In the A-10A, which has a Right MFCD, you could export it to a position we'll call 1
Then when you jump into the Su-25T, which also uses Right MFCD, you can export it to position 2
Which would mean you wouldn't have to load separate profiles for each aircraft.
See in the guide linked above for further info.
it looks something like.....

_ = function(p) return p; end;name = _('JB by type');Description = 'JB by type';Viewports ={Center ={x = 0;y = 0;width = 2560;height = 1440;viewDx = 0;viewDy = 0;aspect = 2560/1440;}}function reconfigure_for_unit(unit_type)    if unit_type == "A-10C" thenLEFT_MFCD ={x = 5130;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}RIGHT_MFCD ={x = 6210;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}elseif unit_type == "Su-25T" thenLEFT_MFCD ={x = 5130;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}RIGHT_MFCD ={x = 2560;y = 360;width = 1720;height = 1080;}elseif unit_type == "A-10A" thenLEFT_MFCD ={x = 5130;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}RIGHT_MFCD ={x = 6210;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}elseLEFT_MFCD ={x = 5130;y = 360;width = 825;height = 825;}RIGHT_MFCD ={x = 2560;y = 360;width = 1720;height = 1080;}GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT ={x = 0;y = 0;width = 2560;height = 1440;}UIMainView = {x = 0;y = 0;width = 2560;height = 1440;}

THANK YOU!
THIS I'm gonna try out! That makes everything so much easier! Do you know if it is compatible with Helios, so I don't have to tweak the Helios file after every change?
Super cheers!

52 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

THANK YOU! emoji1319.pngemoji1303.png
THIS I'm gonna try out! That makes everything so much easier! Do you know if it is compatible with Helios, so I don't have to tweak the Helios file after every change?
Super cheers! emoji1635.png

Sorry, I haven't used Helios, so I don't know what it does when you make a profile with it.

I did fancy it at one point, as I use the now not supported Ikarus to put gauges in my cougar displays when I'm flying Heli's and warbirds.

Captain Zeen's profiles looked good, but no warbirds unfortunatley.

Eg, in the Mosquito I have this, and the gauges are inside the TM Cougars, it uses the gauges out of the Spitfire section of Ikarus

0.jpg 

Edited by jonsky7

Sorry, I haven't used Helios, so I don't know what it does when you make a profile with it.
I did fancy it at one point, as I use the now not supported Ikarus to put gauges in my cougar displays when I'm flying Heli's and warbirds.

Captain Zeen's profiles looked good, but no warbirds unfortunatley.

Eg, in the Mosquito I have this, and the gauges are inside the TM Cougars, it uses the gauges out of the Spitfire section of Ikarus

0.thumb.jpg.63841d37d34e63d2ee6bd3c7c7377e97.jpg 
Helios does make it easier to export View ports IMHO. It's drag and drop, and also writes "patches" for viewports that are "missing" and new names so you don't get conflicts. It will also tell you about conflicts, but I guess that's a thing of the past now.
I use Ikarus too for some modules. Some of the instruments looks way better. Do you know how to tweak the refresh be be "realtime". That's my main concern for both solutions.
Cheers!

@jonsky7 - That looks like the way to go. I'll work through the video you posted. I had a DCS crash yesterday and did a repair just in case, of course it over wrote my modified files 🤣 I had saved copies so I just had to rename them. I use JSGME but I have never got my head around that!  Maybe a subject for another day.

@MAXsenna - Hi Maxsenna. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1