[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - Jul 2023

9 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Helios does make it easier to export View ports IMHO. It's drag and drop, and also writes "patches" for viewports that are "missing" and new names so you don't get conflicts. It will also tell you about conflicts, but I guess that's a thing of the past now.
I use Ikarus too for some modules. Some of the instruments looks way better. Do you know how to tweak the refresh be be "realtime". That's my main concern for both solutions.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

For Ikarus, if you go to your DCS-ExportScript folder,
mine is in Saved Games/DCS/Scripts, but you may have been able to choose the install path, I don't remember.

Open the Config.lua

At the bottom there is a section with the title "Other", there is two values there called (line 36 and 37 for me)

ExportScript.Config.ExportInterval         = 0.05      
ExportScript.Config.ExportLowTickInterval  = 0.5

and the above are their default values. I have adjust the lowtick value to 0.1.

Ikarus uses two different update timings depending on how important each "export" is. Decided by whoever wrote the scripts for each aircraft.
The most important instruments should be updating every export interval, or 0.05 seconds
Things like engine instruments, navigation instruments etc

The rest use the low tick interval, Fuel tank contents, panel lights, switches and levers etc

I assume this was done to lower the amount of CPU resource Ikarus uses. 

• Like 1

For Ikarus, if you go to your DCS-ExportScript folder,
mine is in Saved Games/DCS/Scripts, but you may have been able to choose the install path, I don't remember.

Open the Config.lua
At the bottom there is a section with the title "Other", there is two values there called (line 36 and 37 for me)
ExportScript.Config.ExportInterval         = 0.05      
ExportScript.Config.ExportLowTickInterval  = 0.5
and the above are their default values. I have adjust the lowtick value to 0.1.

Ikarus uses two different update timings depending on how important each "export" is. Decided by whoever wrote the scripts for each aircraft.
The most important instruments should be updating every export interval, or 0.05 seconds
Things like engine instruments, navigation instruments etc

The rest use the low tick interval, Fuel tank contents, panel lights, switches and levers etc
I assume this was done to lower the amount of CPU resource Ikarus uses. 
Ahh! I see! I have been playing with those, while I never understood the difference. With today's faster computers, do you think there is a way to make them more or less real time?

@jonsky7 - That looks like the way to go. I'll work through the video you posted. I had a DCS crash yesterday and did a repair just in case, of course it over wrote my modified files  I had saved copies so I just had to rename them. I use JSGME but I have never got my head around that!  Maybe a subject for another day.
@MAXsenna - Hi Maxsenna. Let us know how you get on.

Sure! I decided to wait until today because I sensed a potential patch coming. Well, just had supper and DCS is patched, so I'll get on with it now, after I've made sure everything is running.
I had a brief look at JSGME several years back, but I soon transitioned to OvGME. When Open Mod Manager surfaced I jumped ships again, because I rather use an app that is still developed and patched. OMM is made by Sendenion, which also made OvGME.

15 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Ahh! I see! I have been playing with those, while I never understood the difference. With today's faster computers, do you think there is a way to make them more or less real time?

Not sure about Helios but I find that Ikarus update does update pretty much real time. Are you having an issue?

At 0.05 it should be updating the instruments 20 times per second

If you set them both to 0.01 that should be 100 updates per second

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

Not sure about Helios but I find that Ikarus update does update pretty much real time. Are you having an issue?
At 0.05 it should be updating the instruments 20 times per second
If you set them both to 0.01 that should be 100 updates per second
Not really a problem! But I did notice that the Ikarus Sabre profile was very good, and better than what I see in Helios.

I abandoned JSGME and found that OvGME is much easier to use so I have my altered lua files covered now. I expect JSGME works pretty much the same OvGME but I just seemed to click with OvGME.

I set up two config files, one for the DCS Core and one for DCS Saved Games, I also have two MOD folders, one linked to each config file. Just to go down the belt and braces route, I also created a backup folders. If the MOD is a 'core' MOD I drop it in the DCS Core folder and activate it from there. If it's a Saved Games MOD you can probably guess where that goes. When they bring out an update for DCS I just have to disable the core mods and reactivate them following the update.

You don't need two folders but it just saves having to remember which are the core mods and which are the saved games mods.

Edited by Nialfb
  • Like 1

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

16 hours ago, Nialfb said:

I abandoned JSGME and found that OvGME is much easier to use so I have my altered lua files covered now. I expect JSGME works pretty much the same OvGME but I just seemed to click with OvGME.

I set up two config files, one for the DCS Core and one for DCS Saved Games, I also have two MOD folders, one linked to each config file. Just to go down the belt and braces route, I also created a backup folders. If the MOD is a 'core' MOD I drop it in the DCS Core folder and activate it from there. If it's a Saved Games MOD you can probably guess where that goes. When they bring out an update for DCS I just have to disable the core mods and reactivate them following the update.

You don't need two folders but it just saves having to remember which are the core mods and which are the saved games mods.

Sounds about right.

The only other thing to consider is that with core mods, sometimes other data in the file changes too.

If after re-applying a mod after an update, things stop working as they should, that's probably the reason.

Doesn't seem to happen too often with display/export mods, just something to bear in mind.

I use notepad++ with a plugin called "compare".
You open the original file, and the modded one in a new tab, hit compare, and it shows you where all the differences are, pretty cool.

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I cannot get helios to work. the gauges stutter. So I want to try Ikarus. However, default there is no F16 profile. 

I found lua files, and figured out how to install ikarus, but I have no clue how to get F16 gauges, and link them to the F16 export file for ikarus that I found on an older thread.

How do I create ikarus files for teh F-16, so I can pull out the relevant gauges?

18 hours ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

Hey guys,

I cannot get helios to work. the gauges stutter. So I want to try Ikarus. However, default there is no F16 profile. 

I found lua files, and figured out how to install ikarus, but I have no clue how to get F16 gauges, and link them to the F16 export file for ikarus that I found on an older thread.

How do I create ikarus files for teh F-16, so I can pull out the relevant gauges?

As the support for Ikarus ended well before the F-16 was released, there are no gauges for it unfortunately.

The best you can do is use gauges that are available for other aircraft and re-purpose them, but that isn't easy really.

The gauges are built within the software's code, so I have no idea how to add gauges or modify existing ones. 

I only really use the gauges when flying Heli's and warbirds.

I have made my own profiles by using other gauges, The Mi-8 gauges can be used for the Mi-24
Spitfire gauges for the Mosquito etc

For Jets I sometimes just use the LCD 8 segment displays, just to have a fuel meter or gear lights etc

• Like 1

I see. 
i found f-16 lua files for use with ikarus, but it might be just to use steamdeck controls, not intended for exporting gauges. I wouldn’t have a clue how to link the gauges in ikarus (even repurposed ones) with the f16 lua that was published. 

maybe I’ll need to learn to code gauges in esp32, so my LCDs don’t go to waste…

4 hours ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

I see. 
i found f-16 lua files for use with ikarus, but it might be just to use steamdeck controls, not intended for exporting gauges. I wouldn’t have a clue how to link the gauges in ikarus (even repurposed ones) with the f16 lua that was published. 

maybe I’ll need to learn to code gauges in esp32, so my LCDs don’t go to waste…

Yes, somebody has taken the DCS-Export Script, which was used to export data to ikarus, and updated it for use with streamdeck. 

Which is nice, because I used the updated one to make panels for the Mosquito and some Heli's like I mentioned earlier.

• Like 1