DCS DESERT STORM

Thunder_

For the Iraqi forces we will have practically everything in the future; flyable MiG-21bis, MiG-23, MiG-29A, Mirage F.1, Mi-24, Mi-8, Bolkov 105, Su-22, L-39  +  AI MiG-25, Su-24, IL-76

Ground assets:

AAA: ZSU-23-4, ZU-23-2, ZSU-57-2, Bofors 40mm

SAM: SA-2, SA-3, SA-6, SA-7, SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, Rapier, Roland

Tanks: PT-76, T-55, T-72

Armored vehicles: BMP-1, BMP-2, MT-LB, BMD-1, BRDM-2

Artillery: 2S1 Gvozdika, 2S3 Akatsiya, BM-21 Grad, SS-1 Scud

ZIL-135 Truck 

and many more.

For the Coalition we will have FC3 F-15C MSIPII and analog A-10A, F-14A and B, A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair, OH-58D  +  AI E-3, E-2, AH-64A, AH-1W, F-117, B-52H, EC-135, S-3A

(F/A-18C, F-16, AV-8B, F-15E maybe could kind of mimic Gulf War legacy variants without Link16, JHMCS, different engines, LANTIRN, AMRAAM, GPS guided bombs etc? But it can be impossible to limit their avionics and systems in the game.)

Missing Tornado GR.1 with JP233, F-111F, EF-111, F-4

Ground assets practically everything except for M1A1 Abrams.

There are M60A3, HMMWV, M113, M2A2 Bradley, LAV-25, MLRS, Hawk, Patriot, Roland, Vulcan etc.

All of that in proper Cold War / Desert Storm variants.

Edited by bies
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bies said:

Missing Tornado GR.1 with JP233 . . . .

JP233 . . . Bl**dy suicidal. Straight and level over tgt at around 170ft, not able to jink or anything for at most 20 seconds for max spread, suicide.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

3 hours ago, G.J.S said:

JP233 . . . Bl**dy suicidal. Straight and level over tgt at around 170ft, not able to jink or anything for at most 20 seconds for max spread, suicide.

Very dangerous yet necessary job. Respect to the guys doing it back then. And training to do that in case of "round three in Europe".

Overall Tornado GR.1 / IDS in DCS attacking Soviet / WARPAC targets in Europe would be a blast. One of the most tense type of missions i can imagine. Flying at 200ft in bad weather, possibly at night, over the enemy territory, with INS, drift, moving map, avoiding detection, SAM, interceptors, dodging AAA and attacking using simple aids to aim the bombs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I'd rather have DCS :fulda Gap- cold war gone hot. We've got plenty of desert maps but I do want the late cold war aircraft and other assets  especially if we could get a full fidelity MiG-29 and SU-27.

The West / East Germany Cold War would be the best. But Fulda Gap 1980s and Desert Storm are practically the same aircrafts. It's only a few years difference, i see the first Gulf War as the last final battle of the Cold War.

Only after the Gulf War things changed for the worse, Soviet aviation collapsed completely reduced to a small fraction of the former power, AMRAAM turned the air combat upside down and made merge way less probable and less needed, low level bombers like F-111 or A-6 has been retired in a few years, F-14 and F-16 were practically turned into a bombers, training level and risk have dropped in the NATO and practically collapsed in Russia. All ambitious western programs like the F-22, Eurofighter, Rafale had been delayed by a decade and Soviet/Russian like MiG 1.42 was terminated completely. An era of helpless mud hut bombing begun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bies said:

The West / East Germany Cold War would be the best. But Fulda Gap 1980s and Desert Storm are practically the same aircrafts. It's only a few years difference,

I know that, the only differences would be in a cold war gone hot scenario the French equipment would be blue and the map will be green not tan.  Right now out side of World War II and the free maps all the maps we have are deserts.

I've noticed at this point we have practically Zero proper Cold War maps, 2  WW2 maps and 5  post-Cold War. 

Any proper Cold War map would be massive improvement of the current situation where all 1950-1990 modules have to fight over modern day cities; Korea, Vietnam, Fulda Gap, Northern Europe East / West Germany, GIUK, Iraq, Libya - anything.

Edited by bies
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bies said:

I've noticed at this point we have practically Zero proper Cold War maps, 2  WW2 maps and 5  post-Cold War. 

It gets even more grim when you start thinking about how to populate those maps.

We have all of two proper maps: Normandy, where you'd run allied CAS missions unopposed, and NTTR, where you'd pretend-fire captive missiles and drop dummy bombs on connex boxes. Action overload. 😄 

The rest simply don't really support any of the aircraft players can fly, except maybe at most half the FC3 stuff in Caucasus.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

18 hours ago, bies said:

Very dangerous yet necessary job. Respect to the guys doing it back then. And training to do that in case of "round three in Europe".

Overall Tornado GR.1 / IDS in DCS attacking Soviet / WARPAC targets in Europe would be a blast. One of the most tense type of missions i can imagine. Flying at 200ft in bad weather, possibly at night, over the enemy territory, with INS, drift, moving map, avoiding detection, SAM, interceptors, dodging AAA and attacking using simple aids to aim the bombs.

Iirc only one Tornado was lost while on a JP233 mission and that wasn’t over the airfield, there’s uncertainty as to if enemy action was involved or not. They didn’t always fly down the runway, in fact crossing the runways and taxiways was preferred as the taxiways could also be used for takeoff. 

Edited by Mogster

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Iirc only one Tornado was lost while on a JP233 mission and that wasn’t over the airfield, there’s uncertainty as to if enemy action was involved or not. They didn’t always fly down the runway, in fact crossing the runways and taxiways was preferred as the taxiways could also be used for takeoff. 

Long runways would be hit along the length, with another making a 30* cut across the field to take in straight lengths of taxiway that can double as an emergency runway.

Typical attack would involve at least 4 aircraft for a substantial airbase, in two or more elements.

JP cans are ejected after use, something like 10 seconds after expended? 
Live JP cans can only be flown maximum two times I seem to remember if they are not fired, before having to be reconditioned.

• Thanks 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

1 hour ago, G.J.S said:

Long runways would be hit along the length, with another making a 30* cut across the field to take in straight lengths of taxiway that can double as an emergency runway.

Typical attack would involve at least 4 aircraft for a substantial airbase, in two or more elements.

JP cans are ejected after use, something like 10 seconds after expended? 
Live JP cans can only be flown maximum two times I seem to remember if they are not fired, before having to be reconditioned.

Yes, I seem to remember that they could only be flown twice and could be ejected.

They were frequently supported by other aircraft armed with 1000lbs air burst bombs I think. Options for disabling a large airfield were limited at the time.

The Tornado crews had difficulty flying low level over the featureless desert at night. 2/3 of the losses were aircraft just hitting the terrain iirc.

We would need plenty of ground assets for that War, and a proper map, but I agree on the planes, we can make them use only Sparrows (Hornet and Eagle) and Sidewinders for the F-16A. But adding the Jag (RAF and Armee de l'air versions), the Tornado and the Bucaneer would be a blast.

• Like 4

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!