Radio Item Add for Coalition/Unit not corretly refreshed on mission start

Aarnoman

DCS Version: DCS 2.5.7.10869

Brief description of bug: Radio items can be added to specific coalitions/groups using the "Radio item add for coalition" and "Radio item add for group" commands in the mission editor. However, this currently does not refresh correctly on mission starts, with previously created radio items carrying over to new units inappropriately. It appears that the radio items displayed for the testing unit on mission creation carry over to all units by default as a result of this bug. This only occurs on the first client unit entered.

Verbal Example:

-2 client units: "Group1" and "Group2", both on blufor.

-Trigger with "once", with "Radio Item Add to Group" for group 1 and group 2 set up, announcing "Group1" and "Group2" on the radio item.

-Start mission. Enter Group 1 as client. F10 radio item should read "Group 1".

- Restart mission, this time entering the client unit Group 2. Check F10 radio item, it will continue to incorrectly read "Group 1".

This results in radio items not appearing when they should for client units, and inappropriate radio units appearing for others. From my testing it appears the radio items present for the very first client unit entered by the mission editor will be what any other client units see in their F10 menu, with the coalition and group ignored.
See example mission attached.

Expected behaviour: Both "Radio Item Add for Group" and "Radio Item Add for Coalition" should only be added to the respective coalition/group selected, and refreshed appropriately on mission starts.

To reproduce: (Example mission attached).

----- Brief description of Mission

1) Load example mission. It includes 3 client units: "Group1BLUE", "Group2BLUE", "Group3RED"

2) Note the trigger construction. It includes:

- Radio Item add (should be visible by any unit).

- 2x Radio Item add for coalition (should be visible by appropriate coalition)

- 3x Radio Item add for group (should be visible only by the specific group).

3) On creation of this mission, the first test unit used was the GROUP3RED client unit. This means that the radio items added for any unit will be "Group3Red Check", "Red Coalition", "General Radio Check", even if the unit selected is not this unit.

------

Reproduction steps:

1) Start mission from mission editor.

2) Enter Blue -> Group1BLUE unit.

3) Check radio items. Note that the inappropriate radio items "Group3RED Check", "Red Coalition Check" are displayed, even though the entered unit is not either and these should not be displayed.
4) Restart the mission and repeat above with Group2BLUE. Note the same inappropriate radio items are added.
5) Exit to spectator -> reenter Group1BLUE. Note that now the correct radio items are present ("Group1BLUE Check", "Blue coalition").

This same bug can also be reproduced by launching the mission on a dedicated server.

Why is this important: Currently breaks missions using radio items if unique items used, and multiple clients are present. Additionally, it creates significant confusion for the mission editor as radio items do not behave as expected when testing with multiple client units.

Side notes: From my testing it appears that the very first client unit entered by the mission editor becomes the "saved state" of radio items on first launch of the mission. These only correctly reset on selecting a unit -> entering the plane (clicking the fly button) -> returning to spectators -> reselecting a role.
It is a very unusual bug that is difficult to report in words, if there is ongoing lack of clarity/difficulty reproducing it I can create a video demonstration.

Additional Note 2: In certain situations it is possible to have these radio items carry over to a seperate mission entirely. I have not yet been able to reproduce this consistently, but will update the bug report further if it is discovered.

RadioItemTestCaucasus.miz

Edited by Aarnoman
Additional note 2: can in certain situations carry over to entirely seperate missions
  • Like 2

• Aarnoman changed the title to Radio Item Add for Coalition/Unit not corretly refreshed on mission start
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Posting this in multiple threads to increase visibility. I've been seeing this same issue, with the radio items effectively scrambled across the assigned aircraft. After some testing, it appears that changing the trigger's EVENT TYPE from NONE to ON MISSION START cures the problem. I've tested it in 3 missions containing up to 14 flyable groups and so far it's held up with each group receiving the expected radio item. I also downloaded the mission from this thread and verified that after changing the EVENT TYPE that group1blue shows the correct radio item.

Credit to @Flappie's findings in this thread, which provided a key clue:

On 12/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, Thunk said:

Posting this in multiple threads to increase visibility. I've been seeing this same issue, with the radio items effectively scrambled across the assigned aircraft. After some testing, it appears that changing the trigger's EVENT TYPE from NONE to ON MISSION START cures the problem. I've tested it in 3 missions containing up to 14 flyable groups and so far it's held up with each group receiving the expected radio item. I also downloaded the mission from this thread and verified that after changing the EVENT TYPE that group1blue shows the correct radio item.

Credit to @Flappie's findings in this thread, which provided a key clue:

Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a fix. After mission start if you need to add or change any of the menu items, the bug will return.