Hind - Rotation/Spin on ground

Nightmare22

I seem to have got the hang of the hind but one thing eludes me, why do I occasionally start frantically spinning on the ground?. Sometimes this happens after performing a cold start and at the point of increasing the RPM and having had NO input on the control surfaces to this point as the revs come up the aircraft will start to spin to the right, even with the wheel brakes on and brake light illuminated and no AP active. I seem to have had some luck stopping this by using reset trim as part of my startup (despite it already showing centred) but when it happens rudder input does nothing.

It also happens when I then land again, I get a satisfying nice gentle landing. Settle back to idle speeds, the aircraft can even be stable for some time on the ground then after a few seconds the spin starts again, stomping the brakes or applying the wheel brakes has zero effect - i've even had a gentle landing, rearmed all fine - gone off to make a drink and I come back to a smashed up helicopter that's spun itself to death 😞 

Hi, I'm super new to Hind, I've only had a few rides, so I don't if this is a side effect of some RL system operation ("correct as is") or it's a bug.

However... watch the pedals in the cockpit and you'll see what's going on! At some point during start-up from cold & dark, the right pedal (I think it's the right one) starts moving forward on its own, in such funny jerky steps tick-tick-tick-tick... it moves all the way forward and so she starts spinning around.

In order to prevent it you simply need to tap any of your pedals, this automa-tick-tick-tick will stop and pedals (in the cockpit) will miracously recenter.

I suspect that when this phenomen is NOT occurring (sometimes), it is when you (or I) have already tapped or moved the pedals before the tick-tick.

(It never happened to me after landing, though, so I don't know.)

EDIT: Wait... "rudder input does nothing"... it does cure my Hind. Maybe they are two different cases - yours and mine. Also... since trim reset helps (I never tried that), maybe it has something to do with "rudder trim" option turned on in "Special" menu? I have it on. I'll see if turning it off changes anything.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

1 hour ago, Nightmare22 said:

I seem to have got the hang of the hind but one thing eludes me, why do I occasionally start frantically spinning on the ground?. Sometimes this happens after performing a cold start and at the point of increasing the RPM and having had NO input on the control surfaces to this point as the revs come up the aircraft will start to spin to the right, even with the wheel brakes on and brake light illuminated and no AP active. I seem to have had some luck stopping this by using reset trim as part of my startup (despite it already showing centred) but when it happens rudder input does nothing.

It also happens when I then land again, I get a satisfying nice gentle landing. Settle back to idle speeds, the aircraft can even be stable for some time on the ground then after a few seconds the spin starts again, stomping the brakes or applying the wheel brakes has zero effect - i've even had a gentle landing, rearmed all fine - gone off to make a drink and I come back to a smashed up helicopter that's spun itself to death 😞 

could be wind? and angle of attack on the back prop. try setting the crew to "chock the aircraft". also make sure the throttle is in idle.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

@scoobiefor you pedal movements, check that synchronise controls in Misc. tab is not active. It seems to be working in reverse of what name implies.

@Nightmare22I guess the spin is to the left? Check that your collective is ALL the way down, especially on spool up. this will input a lot of torque and tailrotor (because of gearbox ratio) does not have power to overcome it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, admiki said:

@scoobiefor you pedal movements, check that synchronise controls in Misc. tab is not active. It seems to be working in reverse of what name implies.

@Nightmare22I guess the spin is to the left? Check that your collective is ALL the way down, especially on spool up. this will input a lot of torque and tailrotor (because of gearbox ratio) does not have power to overcome it.

I'm pretty certain it's a clockwise rotation, but I could be mis remembering - i'll double check my sync settings and collective next time it happens thank you!

4 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

could be wind? and angle of attack on the back prop. try setting the crew to "chock the aircraft". also make sure the throttle is in idle.

Thats an idea thank you I'll give that a go!

5 hours ago, scoobie said:

Hi, I'm super new to Hind, I've only had a few rides, so I don't if this is a side effect of some RL system operation ("correct as is") or it's a bug.

However... watch the pedals in the cockpit and you'll see what's going on! At some point during start-up from cold & dark, the right pedal (I think it's the right one) starts moving forward on its own, in such funny jerky steps tick-tick-tick-tick... it moves all the way forward and so she starts spinning around.

In order to prevent it you simply need to tap any of your pedals, this automa-tick-tick-tick will stop and pedals (in the cockpit) will miracously recenter.

I suspect that when this phenomen is NOT occurring (sometimes), it is when you (or I) have already tapped or moved the pedals before the tick-tick.

(It never happened to me after landing, though, so I don't know.)

EDIT: Wait... "rudder input does nothing"... it does cure my Hind. Maybe they are two different cases - yours and mine. Also... since trim reset helps (I never tried that), maybe it has something to do with "rudder trim" option turned on in "Special" menu? I have it on. I'll see if turning it off changes anything.

I'll watch out for this strange behaviour thanks - do let me know if you find a permanent solution to your issues too! 🙂

Solved for me! Thank you very much, @admiki! 🙂 I'd never figure it out myself.

Tried a couple of times w/o touching pedals - worked each time. Does it mean it's permanent? - dunno yet, but so far so good.

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Am 7.9.2021 um 12:09 schrieb admiki:

think i will have to try this too.

i have the same problem as the OP, but with the collective!

when i fire up the first engine, i can watch the collective go up all the way from 0 to 100, in small steps.

same happens when i spawn into a hot mi24.

if i do not immediatelly move the collective lever a little bit, it stays on 100%, which leads into a fireball right after the spawn 🙂

Edited by NWGJulian