night lighting broken? (too dark!)

twistking

Is it just me, or is the night lighting completely out of tune for normandy?

It seems as both the moonlight and city/house lights are way too dim. On a full moon night with clear skies i can barely see the terrain and city lights are really dim also.

I tested in PG map for comaprison and at the same date the moon illuminates the landscape as expected.

• Like 1

Channel map features lights blackout during nights since that's historical, there were no lights at night during the war. Never read a thing about Normandy but perhaps that could be either the case.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Channel map features a light blackouts during nights since that's historical, there were no lights at night during the war. Never read a thing about Normandy but perhaps that could be either the case.

S!

nope, that's not it. i did my test flight in "modern times" and houses were lit, just very, very dimly. the moon light being too dim ist the bigger problem also.

houses being lit too dim is more of an aesthetics issue. moon being too dim impacts gameplay, since you simply cannot see much...

Edited by twistking

Comparison with PG is not quite fair one could say, because that map was specifically reworked by ED to look properly at night in 2.5.xx versions and beyond - something even Nevada didn't get, let alone the oldest 3rd party map.

Of course, I'd love to see Normandy updated in a similar manner, but I realistically don't expect that to happen anytime soon, if ever, with Syria being Ugra's primary product and tech demonstrator now.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

15 hours ago, Art-J said:

Comparison with PG is not quite fair one could say, because that map was specifically reworked by ED to look properly at night in 2.5.xx versions and beyond - something even Nevada didn't get, let alone the oldest 3rd party map.

Of course, I'd love to see Normandy updated in a similar manner, but I realistically don't expect that to happen anytime soon, if ever, with Syria being Ugra's primary product and tech demonstrator now.

i would maybe agree, if this was about the appearance of house and street lighting, but my main concern is brightness of moon light.

i'd say this is simply a bug, and one that should be quite easy to fix (make moon brighter!). other light sources are a different beast, as they would maybe require a texture rework for the light maps etc.