Aircraft requires roll trimming in crosswind.

Deano87

Hey all.

Been a while since I've been around (thanks Covid) but now that the F-16 is getting some more love I've been back here doing some flying.

I've found that the F-16 has a tendency to roll in the opposite direction to any crosswind it experiences. While its quite gradual and slow, this should absolutely not be happening as an aircraft flying in a constant wind does not experience any trim changes as seen here.

I tested this by making a mission (attached) with a maximum speed wind coming from the south, I spawned in an empty F16 at 35k ft pointing east. After the initial jolt of the spawn I let the aircraft stabilize and trim itself out, then I let go of the controls and noticed a slow bank to the left. After this I turned the aircraft left to due north and repeated the test, on releasing the stick I noted that the aircraft did not roll in any direction. After a few seconds of steady flight to the north requiring no corrections I continued the left turn to a heading of 270, where I noted a gentle roll to the right, opposite of what was seen earlier.

Conclusion: Aircraft banks due to influence of steady state wind - this should not happen.

Tested on a fresh install of DCS Open Beta 2.7.6.12852.

Mission and track attached.
Youtube video of test embedded below.

Cheers, Hope this helps.
D

F-16 Crosswind Roll issue.trk F-16 Crosswind Roll.miz

Edited by Deano87
define aircraft loadout
  • Thanks 3

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Deano87 changed the title to Aircraft requires roll trimming in crosswind.

Can we get this reported? Makes the Viper a chore to fly in crosswind conditions without having to constantly trim or use AP.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

reported to the team for closer inspection

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2