Gunsight dimmer knob bug

Tarres

Haven't tried the gunsight myself, but tried a few other knobs - they seem to work as you say. For example flood lights - you turn the knob from minimum to NEARLY maximum and the light goes brighter and brighter. Good! Then turn a little bit more to the very maximum and BANG - the light goes off. Numerous knobs, same behaviour.

Probably it is "copy-paste" of one poorly tuned axis in the code, something like that.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

37 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Except for one or two knobs that do the opposite: They go from OFF to MAX, then all the way to DIM. 

Oh, yes! I forgot about these! Yeah, a few work OFF -> MAX -> MIN. It may be realistic *), may be not, I'm not 100% sure (I can only suspect they are just coded wrong), but those that go OFF -> MIN -> MAX -> OFF just can't be right.

*) Might (just "might") be realistic because if in RL Mossie some of those knobs weren't just pots/rheostats, but instead pots/rheostats with a built-in switch - just like we used to have in old transistor radios (volume knob was often combined with the OFF/ON switch on portable radios) - in the Mossie they might have wired it the opposite way (OFF-> ON+MAX -> MIN). I have no idea why they would do that this way, but at least it's technically possible, so I can't be 100% sure.

Of course my "gut feeling" tells me they're botched just as the (majority of) knobs that go OFF -> MIN -> MAX -> OFF.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

(Sorry for elaborating. The important part in bold font below.)

@Tarres The fact that the viewpoint returns to left hand side of the cockpit when you turn the brightness knob so that the reticle goes off, is EXACTLY because the reticle goes off, nothing else.
It's coded this way (and I don't claim it's "bad" or it's a "bug" - it looks like a design decision).

How do I know? You may experience the same with the following experiment:
1. Turn the "electrical services" switch on.
2. Turn the gunsight switch on.
3. Set the sight brightness so it's actually visible.
(Your viewpoint is now centered, right?)
Now...
4. Turn the "electrical services" switch off.
The viewpoint will return to right left hand side of the cockpit.
Correct?

It's coded like that - as long as the sight reticle is visible, the viewpoint is centered. If it's not visible (for WHATEVER reason) - the viewpoint returns to the left hand side of the cockpit.

So... the bug is really about the brightness knob, which is one example of more knobs that go OFF -> MIN -> MAX -> OFF, instead of OFF -> MIN -> MAX.

If the knob(s) axis/axes in the code get(s) tuned correctly (hopefully!), the viewpoint problem will disappear on its own. It's a "side effect" problem, that's what I'm trying to say.

(I'm so "energetic" about it, because I'm worried they will fix this single knob (gunsight brightness) and leave the others untouched. And I do assign such knobs to hardware potentiometers in virtually all modules, so I care about these things probably more than other folks.)

Edited by scoobie

Humble correction - at least on my part: for me no bug.

I think I know what it was all about.

I've just chased every light knob in the cockpit, but this time I was turning them with click & hold & move mouse, not a potentiometer.
All the knobs I was lucky to find actually work as OFF -> MAX -> MIN, including the gunsight brightness.
However, apparently all/some of them require "Invert" in the "Axis tune" window and I might have had a mixture of them with or without it, now I don't know myself. Anyway I made myself a puzzling mess of control assigments.

I've checked the gunsight, too - it also works OFF -> MAX -> MIN. I've replayed your track @Tarres - it seems to be exactly that - when you think you are turning the (hidden) knob UP, because the gunsight gets brighter and brighter, you actually turning it DOWN, towards the "ON/OFF" switch. The reticle is getting super bright and suddenly it goes off and the viewpoint returns to left. I've tried with both the mouse and a potentiometer (this time with "Invert" ticked).

So as far as I'm concerned, there is no problem/bug, instead a rather intriguing coincidence of knobs, which work like "in reverse", which however require "Invert" in Axis Tune to properly work in reverse, otherwise you get the reverse in the reverse and the OFF switch at the end of the rotation... uhm, yeah, whatever, I figured it out 🙂

EDIT: Found one that works "normally" (MIN -> MAX)! "Emergency Lighting - intensity, axis".

Edited by scoobie