GBU-31

Caldera

Hey All,

Probably not the correct topic area, but I don't know where it should actually go.

First off, I have know for awhile that the penetrator version of the APKWS rockets (M282) had a larger splash damage radius.  I am not sure how the actual weapon functions, but this is DCS.  Of course, this version also has a much greater effectiveness vs armored vehicles.

Let me say that I test splash radius by using infantry.  Specifically, I consider the splash radius to be where I see infantry hit, not necessarily a kill.  I call the farthest out from the center of the blast to be the weapons splash radius.

So today I was again testing weapons and I tested the GBU-31.  I tested both models and of course the splash radius was greater for the penetrator version.   The radius increased from 475 feet to 700 feet.  My test range is only 700 feet so I will have to do some more testing after I increase the infantry range to see exactly what it is (not really that important).  I found out also that to some degree that the splash radius is greater for killing armor.  On good hits, it can kill a T-55 out to 50 feet vs the normal 25 feet for the standard warhead.

I discovered that the penetrator version drops much steeper and that the release window is quite a bit narrower.  But, what came next I did not expect.  So take a look at the pictures.

Maximum extension in flight

GBU31-001.gif

The weapon overshoots by about 400 feet.

GBU31-003.gif

Then corrects its flight path to be on target.  BOOM!

GBU31-002.gif

Interesting?   Well known by all but me?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

On 10/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, SJBMX said:

Nope, didn't know that. I've never dropped a 31 on anything but buildings (or a 10 on anything but buildings and ships, for that matter).

dropping a 2000 lb bomb on vehicles would not be a thing IMO. i agree with @SJBMX. these would be used on static targets. if you had to, why not a laser version?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

I would use the AP over the HE at all times in they were in inventory due to the greater blast radius and destructive power.

Caldera

and with 42 each one can destroy a lot of light armor and lower.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

SD,

On 11/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, silverdevil said:

and with 42 each one can destroy a lot of light armor and lower.

Thanks, yes I know.  I guess that I did not do a great job of explaining why I put this thread up.

Keep in mind that a 500 lbm high explosive weapon will most times not damage an armored vehicle that is only 25 feet away and may not kill an unarmored vehicle at the same distance.

The primary purpose of my testing was to determine the relative damage capability of each weapon.  Part of this testing includes the blast radius (splash damage).  For total blast radius I use infantry which, to me, more or less indicates the total blast radius of the weapon.  To that end, both of the armor piecing weapons that I have tested all have greater blast radius by about 30% over their contemporary high explosive weapon.  I just find that interesting and I wonder how that compares to the RL weapons. 

I think maybe I need to test the Mavericks as well...

I also discovered that the free fall flight path of the  AP GBU-31 actually extends past the designated target by about 400 feet, depending upon release altitude.   Then it corrects itself and falls backward in relation to the direction of the aircraft toward the target.  It kind of does a U-turn, so to speak.  This produces a very steep angle of attack, which is virtually straight down.  This is the only weapon that I have tested that does that.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

Some more testing this morning.

WEAPONS 01.gif

This is a chart I made.  It is interesting in some respects. Take a look at the column labeled HE RATIO.  This column is the ratio of INF HIT (infantry hit distance) divided by HE KGS (weight of the HE contained in the warhead).

I do realize that all of this data is not exactly apples to apples, but for the purpose of discussion...

Comments:

• The infantry hit radius of the 2000 lbs class HE bombs should be at least double what they are. 
  • The AGM-65D is a super weapon even with a shaped charge warhead.
  • All penetrator style weapons do noticeably better than their contemporary HE only version (discounting the AGM's which are apples to oranges).
  • GBU-54 data is probably an outlier and the HE RATIO should probably be 2.30 (maybe a RNG function).
  • Can't explain the APKWS other than that the AP version does better than the HE version.

The accuracy of the GPS guided weapons is not perfect.  I had to make multiple drops to get the weapon to hit the center target of my range.  In general, the 2000 lbs weapons are worse than the 500 lbs weapons.  Notably, the GBU-31 HE is the biggest scatter brain and it lands all over the place.  It has the largest dispersion, where it can miss by over 50 feet.  By comparison the GBU-31 AP is way more accurate and consistent.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

SD,

14 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Remember the vehicles and infantry only have a simplified damage model.

I just have to wonder.  This is because when I shoot the A-10 gun or APKWS M282 rockets at tanks it seems that they are harder to kill from the front than from the back.  As for splash damage, I would believe that you are correct to having only a simplified damage model.  In truth, I do not really know for sure.

Caldera