ARGO Mission 6 Navigation

Slartibartfast

After loading the wounded how are we meant to navigate to the hospital? It says to tune the ADF to 490kHz, and there is a signal playing at a little under 500khz. When tuned to it it seems to be playing "AV" in Morse and I followed it for the longest time but it sent me an incredibly long way away and when I finally arrived it was just at some random antenna. After getting rather frustrated I looked up a couple of walkthrough videos on YouTube and after the injured are loaded the person making the video simply says "I know where we are" and fly off to the South-West. This happened on both videos I watched. In the video one of the pilots did tune there radio to where mine was on the dial and seemed to hear a "T" broadcast in Morse and basically confirmed that yup, it was pointing in the direction they expected but I can't seem to find this frequency myself. Eventually they get close and it says to land inside the perimeter fence, the same as when we dropped the submariners off, but how are we meant to know to head in that direction in the first place.

Anyway, I basically followed the examples in the video and was able to complete the mission myself, but how is it meant to be done?

Edited by Slartibartfast

The "T" beacon is a directional beacon, and I'm pretty sure it's off because of the mission wind settings. See here:

I will check this and will report to the mission designer in case it's verified.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Confirmed. Here goes:

• Mission 6 wind on the ground reads "218°" (in the ME) for 2 kts. Beacon 490 kHz is not emiting (it should be a single long beep for "T").
  • When I set the wind between "269°" and "237°" (in the ME), beacon 490 kHz is emiting.
  • When I set the wind to 0 kts, beacon 490 kHz is emiting.

According to the 15 ARGO missions settings, beacon 490 kHz is only emiting during mission 8.

ARGO_campaign_weather_2021-11-08_490.png

Mission designers have two ways to solve this issue:

1. change wind settings for problematic missions, but this will change the mission difficulty,
  2.  script their own beacons when specified airfield directional beacons do not work.

@gregzagk As you may remember, a lot of reports tell about non-working airfield beacons in the ARGO campaign. I know you were wondering what was happening (here and here). Well, it's all because of the wind settings. FIY, I already asked ED about this beacons behavior but had no answer so far. I'll try again. The best thing would be to allow mission designers to activate/deactivate beacons at will.

490_not_working.trk 490_working.trk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 1:15 AM, Flappie said:

Confirmed. Here goes:

• Mission 6 wind on the ground reads "218°" (in the ME) for 2 kts. Beacon 490 kHz is not emiting (it should be a single long beep for "T").
  • When I set the wind between "269°" and "237°" (in the ME), beacon 490 kHz is emiting.
  • When I set the wind to 0 kts, beacon 490 kHz is emiting.

According to the 15 ARGO missions settings, beacon 490 kHz is only emiting during mission 8.

ARGO_campaign_weather_2021-11-08_490.png

Mission designers have two ways to solve this issue:

1. change wind settings for problematic missions, but this will change the mission difficulty,
  2.  script their own beacons when specified airfield directional beacons do not work.

@gregzagk As you may remember, a lot of reports tell about non-working airfield beacons in the ARGO campaign. I know you were wondering what was happening (here and here). Well, it's all because of the wind settings. FIY, I already asked ED about this beacons behavior but had no answer so far. I'll try again. The best thing would be to allow mission designers to activate/deactivate beacons at will.

490_not_working.trk 42.86 kB · 1 download 490_working.trk 44.23 kB · 0 downloads

Apologies I just saw this. Great finding! Will check to fix it asap.

Greg

• Thanks 1

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP