Reverb G2 Issue - Lag then Crash

mwlambrn

I'll start by saying, please let me know if any of this is duplicative of another post, or if I should be posting in another location...

I recently built a new rig for gaming, almost exclusively intended for DCS. I have had an HP Reverb G2 for a while (purchased one not long after they were initially released) and with my previous PC had some issues, but I was able to get around them after many hours of trial and error. With my new PC (which seems like it should be pretty much able to handle DCS and more) my G2 has been nothing but problematic, in many ways. When I can get DCS to launch, the initial screens are laggy to the point that I can barely even use the mouse to navigate, and when I do attempt to launch a mission (via Mission Editor, as I have a few short test-ish missions to double check my controls, etc.) my headset crashes out. I'll either get blue screens in my headset, or black screens, or black screen with 4 rotating white balls (perhaps that is a SteamVR thing?). I think that is one of the things that make the issue particularly frustrating: it's not the same thing each time... And when that occurs, DCS seems to be still running - I can see the game in the 'duplicated' window on the desktop. 

I've run DCS in non-VR mode, and it launches like a champ - smooth as butter and relatively quick loading, etc. 

In VR, the WMR and SteamVR lobby seem to be running smoothly as well - no glaring issues or crashes that I've seen, and no error codes from WMR. 

At this point, I'm not sure where the issue lies - either in DCS' VR settings, the G2 trying to process the game/images, or a combination of the two. It seems (although I could be completely off base) to be more than just an in-game settings issue; if that were the case, it seems like I would be experiencing 'lag' but the headset crashes are beyond that...? 

Here are my specs (and, yeah, I'm kinda irked that I've put this much money into a rig and am getting kinda hosed on the VR experience):

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900
  • Asus Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 2 x M.2 SSDs (DCS is on a separate drive than Windows)
  • HP Reverb G2 v.1 (although I do have the updated cable)
  • G2 connected via a powered USB 3.1 hub
    • I tried connecting to the USB-C port my new PC has, but that did not seem to make a difference, other than possibly making things worse

Anyhoo... I appreciate any thoughts/ideas anyone may have. I love playing DCS and, really, have sunk soooo much money into the game itself, peripherals, and this new rig that it's borderline infuriating to have to spend so much of my "play" time just trying to get things to work.

Thanks for letting me vent - and I'm anxiously awaiting anyone's ideas!

--Matt

• Intel i7-12700K
  • Nvidia RTX 3090
  • 32 GB DDR5 RAM

Are you runing Steam VR Beta and WMR for Steam VR beta? for me Steam VR Beta and WMR Beta for Steam VR causes random crashes. Stable Version of both programs work 100%. I9 9900K + RTX3080TI + G2 + 32GB DDR4 3733mhz + NVME 970 EVO PRO + Win 11

I sugest you to follow this guide 

Edited by Calinho

11 minutes ago, Calinho said:

Are you runing Steam VR Beta and WMR for Steam VR beta? for me Steam VR Beta and WMR Beta for Steam VR causes random crashes. Stable Version of both programs work 100%. I9 9900K + RTX3080TI + G2 + 32GB DDR4 3733mhz + NVME 970 EVO PRO + Win 11

same

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

50 minutes ago, mwlambrn said:

I'll start by saying, please let me know if any of this is duplicative of another post, or if I should be posting in another location...

I recently built a new rig for gaming, almost exclusively intended for DCS. I have had an HP Reverb G2 for a while (purchased one not long after they were initially released) and with my previous PC had some issues, but I was able to get around them after many hours of trial and error. With my new PC (which seems like it should be pretty much able to handle DCS and more) my G2 has been nothing but problematic, in many ways. When I can get DCS to launch, the initial screens are laggy to the point that I can barely even use the mouse to navigate, and when I do attempt to launch a mission (via Mission Editor, as I have a few short test-ish missions to double check my controls, etc.) my headset crashes out. I'll either get blue screens in my headset, or black screens, or black screen with 4 rotating white balls (perhaps that is a SteamVR thing?). I think that is one of the things that make the issue particularly frustrating: it's not the same thing each time... And when that occurs, DCS seems to be still running - I can see the game in the 'duplicated' window on the desktop. 

I've run DCS in non-VR mode, and it launches like a champ - smooth as butter and relatively quick loading, etc. 

In VR, the WMR and SteamVR lobby seem to be running smoothly as well - no glaring issues or crashes that I've seen, and no error codes from WMR. 

At this point, I'm not sure where the issue lies - either in DCS' VR settings, the G2 trying to process the game/images, or a combination of the two. It seems (although I could be completely off base) to be more than just an in-game settings issue; if that were the case, it seems like I would be experiencing 'lag' but the headset crashes are beyond that...? 

Here are my specs (and, yeah, I'm kinda irked that I've put this much money into a rig and am getting kinda hosed on the VR experience):

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900
  • Asus Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 2 x M.2 SSDs (DCS is on a separate drive than Windows)
  • HP Reverb G2 v.1 (although I do have the updated cable)
  • G2 connected via a powered USB 3.1 hub
    • I tried connecting to the USB-C port my new PC has, but that did not seem to make a difference, other than possibly making things worse

Anyhoo... I appreciate any thoughts/ideas anyone may have. I love playing DCS and, really, have sunk soooo much money into the game itself, peripherals, and this new rig that it's borderline infuriating to have to spend so much of my "play" time just trying to get things to work.

Thanks for letting me vent - and I'm anxiously awaiting anyone's ideas!

Have you tried other SteamVR games ? Just to determine if it's just DCS you have issues with ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

8 hours ago, Calinho said:

Thanks! I'm working my way through that list! I'll admit some of those are a bit...over my head (normally) but I'm muddling through it 🙂

I haven't been using WMR or SteamVR betas, only the released versions. And I'm on Windows 10 (waiting a bit since I have an AMD CPU and it seems there has been some squiffy-ness with W11 and AMD. I'm still doing some tweaking but it seems at least it's not completely crashing out like it was before. I have noticed in SteamVR when I have the performance graph running (with a numeric display of something like "7.2 of 11.1 ms (90 Hz)"), it will JUMP to as high as "140 of 11.1 ms (90 Hz)" and stay relatively high... I'm not sure what could be causing that? 

--Matt

• Intel i7-12700K
  • Nvidia RTX 3090
  • 32 GB DDR5 RAM