PC hardware upgrade priority for Black Shark??

V1Rotate

I'd like some official input here if possible from the ED team about what makes BS tick.

I understand PCs are a maze of hardware configurations, so I'm not necessarily after a dream wish list PC setup. However, I believe it would be helpful to everyone if we knew what seems to affect FPS in BS the most.

So, is BS memory hungry, graphics card hungry or is CPU clock speed most important?

Again I realise its dependant on the system, so if we had to take a base system as a starting point, what would you upgrade here: (I'll try and make it pretty average, about 1-2 yrs old - oh look its similar to my setup :D) I get reasonable frame rates with a similiar setup but do occasionally get a slowdown over towns or when there's a lot going on.

Core Duo 6600 at stock speeds, 2gb ram, 8800GTS 512mb, 320gb hd, XP Pro 32bit.

Would performance be better in Vista with the same memory size?

i7 930@ 3.8GHz, Corsair H50-1, Asus P6X58D-E, 6gb Patriot Ram, ATI 5850 1 Gb, Antec 300, F3 1GB HDD, Corsair 24" Dell 2408WFP.

Saitek X52 Pro+Rudder, TrackIR4

Hi,

IMHO, I think the following, in order of importance (highest first):

* Processor

* Graphics Card (for crunching split-screen/AA etc..)

* Memory

According to in-sim stats, the sim only seems to use around 400 Mb memory?! 2Gb should be more than adequate. The faster, the better. :)

Even on my rig, I get a very respectable 45 FPS. Smoke/dust however kills it, and it runs at 0.1 FPS for a couple of seconds. Long enough to notice, but not long enough to get annoyed about. I'm soon too worried about being shot at to really think about it! :D

Best regards,

Tango.

Check out the "Processor Affinity" thread. When setting processor affinity to both CPUs, you get a serious performance boost (about 50%). Users reported that this mostly occurs on machines running Vista. I myself have Vista x64 with 4Gb ram and have tried setting affinity. The performance increase was incredible. Don't know however if this has anything to do with the OS.

On the other hand, Vista needs more memory to run than XP, so you have to be careful there. 2GB in XP is not the same as 2GB in Vista. All I can tell you is that Vist x64 runs really smooth with 4Gb ram.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd like some official input here if possible from the ED team about what makes BS tick.

I understand PCs are a maze of hardware configurations, so I'm not necessarily after a dream wish list PC setup. However, I believe it would be helpful to everyone if we knew what seems to affect FPS in BS the most.

So, is BS memory hungry, graphics card hungry or is CPU clock speed most important?

Again I realise its dependant on the system, so if we had to take a base system as a starting point, what would you upgrade here: (I'll try and make it pretty average, about 1-2 yrs old - oh look its similar to my setup :D) I get reasonable frame rates with a similiar setup but do occasionally get a slowdown over towns or when there's a lot going on.

Core Duo 6600 at stock speeds, 2gb ram, 8800GTS 512mb, 320gb hd, XP Pro 32bit.

From the experience I had with upgrading the vid card, I would do it again.

I went from 8800GT/512MB to 4870/1GB.