Wing sweep handle. And AIM-7 guidance.

Topgun505

Two things I have noticed as of late after getting back into the 14 after taking a break for a while learning the 16.  

#1.  The wing sweep position handle.  When you open the lid and pull the handle back to put it into oversweep if you use a mouse wheel to move it back ... instead of stopping at the end of the travel for the lever it snaps back to the full forward position instead (and consequently the wings sweep back forward).

#2.  I have seen while reviewing Tacview files from Blue Flag modern, multiple instances of a 14 firing on a target aircraft with a AIM-7, and prior to impact the firing Tomcat is turning away from the target (not notching ... full 180 deg turns away) and yet the AIM-7 still hits the target (and the target in question has no jammer, so home on jam is not an explanation).  So the AIM-7 is acting like a Fox 3 missile.  

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

18 minutes ago, Topgun505 said:

#1.  The wing sweep position handle.  When you open the lid and pull the handle back to put it into oversweep if you use a mouse wheel to move it back ... instead of stopping at the end of the travel for the lever it snaps back to the full forward position instead (and consequently the wings sweep back forward).

That's an effect I had with the Tomcat since its release and I don't get that this seems to not affect many others.

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

oh #1 affects me plenty, I just changed how I do it to click and drag.

I had a similar #2 incident where I assumed it was because it picked up my jamming strobe.  missile turned like 30deg to pure pursuit and hit me in the face after the shooter broke lock.

1 hour ago, Topgun505 said:

#2.  I have seen while reviewing Tacview files from Blue Flag modern, multiple instances of a 14 firing on a target aircraft with a AIM-7, and prior to impact the firing Tomcat is turning away from the target (not notching ... full 180 deg turns away) and yet the AIM-7 still hits the target (and the target in question has no jammer, so home on jam is not an explanation).  So the AIM-7 is acting like a Fox 3 missile.  

I honestly don't know what would cause this besides some liberal coding of the missiles, but HB reverted the Sparrows on the F-14 back to the ED missiles, so you would need to direct these complaints to them. Other than that, are you completely sure the target being fired upon does not have a jammer? Because there is currently no way for the Tomcat to discern a jamming contact from a non-jamming one. The radar is completely unaffected by jamming at all at this current time.

Heavy Fighter Elitist
AIM-120 Best Missiletm
AWG-9 Gaslighter
Diagnosed with terminal Skill Issue

#2 could be caused by radar memory mode if the time from turning cold isnt too long

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

8 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

#2 could be caused by radar memory mode if the time from turning cold isnt too long

Very likely this. Aim7s can go active, especially if you are still well in their line of sight. The chances are rather small, but one cannot exclude it entirely. Beyond that, we use the ED AIM-7s, so if any bug would be discovered there, we would kindly ask you to direct it to ED themselves as we have zero influence over their behavior.

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Shooter was a F-14B.  Target was a F-14A.  Shooter fired at 13.3 nm.  About 10 seconds after shooting he turned about 90 degrees away and dove about 60 deg down.  At that point the closest AIM-7 (he fired 2 a few seconds apart) was still 10.3 nm away.  The target maneuvered to the left and the 7 tracked.   Meanwhile the shooter was flying directly away by that point.  Target went into a hard dive and pumped out chaff and the 7 still followed.  Time to impact was about ~40 sec after the shooter had turned away.  Does the 14A have any sort of internal jammer?  If it does then I suppose the 7 could have done a home on jam.  But if the 14 does not ... then yeah ... there's no explaining this missile still tracking.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, Topgun505 said:

First, click the "Master Reset" button to reset the computer...for ages this used to work no problem, if the problem still persists go to the controls and bind something to "Wing Sweep Mode: Auto", hit that and that WILL fix your issue plus while there bind the wing sweep to bomb if you want, can make AAR easier sometimes.

Control Panel.jpg

Edited by Southernbear

Am 9.1.2022 um 02:57 schrieb Southernbear:

First, click the "Master Reset" button to reset the computer...for ages this used to work no problem, if the problem still persists go to the controls and bind something to "Wing Sweep Mode: Auto", hit that and that WILL fix your issue plus while there bind the wing sweep to bomb if you want, can make AAR easier sometimes.

I think u missunderstood what Topgun wanted to explain ....