VR and trackIR icons next to player-names in MP score chart

D4n

Just now, MAXsenna said:

The user you mean. The user should have that choice. 

The user may be warned about the fact with option not to connect, if it does not get anonymized. But ultimately admin decides. As said before: just  like screenshots if it displays next to your name.

Summary information would be welcome either way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, okopanja said:

It is rather difficult to draw the line, where cheating starts, but I do believe that average player should be aware of the advantage the pay wall offers.

TBH, if you want to compete at the highest level, it's obvious that you have to step up and get yourself the best equipment. It would be a bit ridiculous if during a golf tournament the losing side accused the winner of cheating because they used better (legal) equipment. Using good equipment does not constitute cheating. That's being prepared. Bad equipment, on the other hand, is a handicap, and the onus is on everyone to ensure that they are competitive. Complaining that others have better equipped than you IMHO borders on being pathetic: you aren't competitive and demand of others to handicap themselves until you can win. That's why Pro Golf starts at handicap 0.

26 minutes ago, okopanja said:

However I see no reason why ED would not allow us to see percentage of users using nothing, TIR or VR.

I'd love to see a yearly, anonymized report on user demographics such as this - similar to Steam's user survey so we can get an indication where the community is moving: VR, on-line gaming, controllers, average play time per week, most commonly used models on/offline, fixed/rotary split in popularity etc. Why? because I create missions, and such information could help me create better missions. And frankly, because I'm a data nerd. Contributing data to such a survey must be on an opt-in basis (but this is safeguarded for anyone playing in the EU by GDPR anyway, so that's currently my least concern - ED already asks to be allowed to gather my data)

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, cfrag said:

TBH, if you want to compete at the highest level, it's obvious that you have to step up and get yourself the best equipment. It would be a bit ridiculous if during a golf tournament the losing side accused the winner of cheating because they used better (legal) equipment. Using good equipment does not constitute cheating. That's being prepared. Bad equipment, on the other hand, is a handicap, and the onus is on everyone to ensure that they are competitive. Complaining that others have better equipped than you IMHO borders on being pathetic: you aren't competitive and demand of others to handicap themselves until you can win. That's why Pro Golf starts at handicap 0.

Yes I fully agree that everyone decide from themselves. I personally feel rather restricted when flying with laptop with no TIR and no ultra wide monitor, even though my tactics typically do not depend much on them. I do not believe that servers should restrict what equipment people use, but this game should adjust maximal allowed zoom in accordance to the size of the monitor or VR people are using. This is irrespective from FOV. This must not be more than what plain Mk1 Balls can see at a given distance from projection plane. In reality people do abuse this heavily, and I was totally surprised once I tried this myself.

20 minutes ago, cfrag said:

I'd love to see a yearly, anonymized report on user demographics such as this - similar to Steam's user survey so we can get an indication where the community is moving: VR, on-line gaming, controllers, average play time per week, most commonly used models on/offline, fixed/rotary split in popularity etc. Why? because I create missions, and such information could help me create better missions. And frankly, because I'm a data nerd. Contributing data to such a survey must be on an opt-in basis (but this is safeguarded for anyone playing in the EU by GDPR anyway, so that's currently my least concern - ED already asks to be allowed to gather my data)

I can easily understand why this is of interest to you. Many of these data constitute the ED's trade secret and I think they will not publish it. However if you are hosting your own server you can collect most of the data yourself (demographics excluded). In fact I even wrote a script processing the tacview files to generate stats. Found some rather interesting information on who are actually the top dogs. 🙂

Edited by okopanja
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, okopanja said:

It is rather difficult to draw the line, where cheating starts

Actually it’s quite easy. Using something that other players don’t have access to is cheating. But using ordinary commands within the game such as zoom view or hardware that anyone else can use such as head tracking or VR isn’t. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

Actually it’s quite easy. Using something that other players don’t have access to is cheating. But using ordinary commands within the game such as zoom view or hardware that anyone else can use such as head tracking or VR isn’t. 

I can not say that trackIR or VR are cheating, unless they function in such way that make it over-perform in respect to IRL. E.g. with track IR you can do 2 things: move your head, e.g. forward to read HUD better, in which case, distant airplane/missile looks the same, or use zoom feature, where you actually see larger HUD again, but also increased airplane/missile. Once later overreaches the borders of normal human seeing, we are talking about cheating.

Paywall will be always there and poorer players will always be in one or another disadvantage, but things that can be made more fair, should be made more fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, okopanja said:

or use zoom feature, where you actually see larger HUD again, but also increased airplane/missile

But since every player in the game can use zoom view equally as a normal game feature, it’s not cheating. 

• Like 4

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• ED Team

Hi all, 

thank you for the feedback, but to put this one to bed we have no plans to advertise users system details in multiplayer. 

thank you

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2