GPU Not running 100% - RTX 2060

Good morning, here are my system specs:

-Intel core i9-10850K OC'd to 4.9 Ghz
-Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO Cooler
-Asus Prime Z490-A MB
-Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB @ 3200 Mhz (XMP is enabled but not sure if it's clocking all 3200 Mhz)
-EVGA RTX 2060 ULTRA XC (Yes I know this is a bottleneck)
-WD 2.0 TB M.2-2280 SSD (OS and DCS run on this drive)
-WD 1.0 TB 7.2K RPM Sata 3.5" HDD (Saved Games are on here)
-Oculus Rift-S

The issue I am having is that the GPU is not running 100% utilization.  I know I need to upgrade the GPU, but before some of the latest patches I was getting at least a decent 20-25 fps on multiplayer servers.  Anyone have any idea why I'm not getting the most out of my GPU?

If you have EVGA Precision (or another OC software maybe) running when you do an Nvidia update, there are times when it will scale back the power target to like 25%. It does this as a safety method, it thinks a driver install is going to blow up your card.

Check that program and make sure your power target is set all the way up.

If you're running with motion smoothing engaged (basically if your FPS is below refresh rate) then I think it will report as only using half of the GPU. I can be running above refresh rate using 95% GPU then as soon as smoothing engages then it drops to around 50% despite the frametimes still being virtually the same (as soon as the framerate drops below the refresh rate).

Try disabling ASW for the rift and see if the usage goes up, it will likely be juddery as hell but for a test it will prove it's working to capacity.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

So I used to have EVGA Precision installed, but I've noticed it does not save my OC settings.  I just switched to MSI Afterburner and it seems to remember the settings.  

I've got the Power and Temp limits maxed out.

I will give disabling ASW a try and let you know.  However I've noticed after about 40ish mins of play time I get judders when I move my head.  This is so frustrating.

Check your frametime chart and see if it's dropping frames when the juddering starts (pink lines in steamvr/fpsvr, not sure about occulus).  I used drop every other frame and the frametimes would jump from 14-16ms with a geen line to 40-50ms with a pink line.

If you're dropping frames try alt tabbing to another window for 10-20 seconds and see if it settles the frametime chart down then alt tab back to DCS; most of the time it seems to work as a sticking plaster.  I had been having the issue since around the end of November and solved it by re-enabling HAGS; I don't have any continuous dropped frames now where as it was every time I loaded a subsequent mission without restarting DCS.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• 2 weeks later...