A question about a possible Korean War asset pack

upyr1

20 minutes ago, Beirut said:

You know what all this is? It's four guys having lunch and one of them didn't order fries with his burger. Now he's at the table looking at the other guys with fries, either thinking about bumming a few or going back and getting himself some. 

No it isn't, the analogy isn't even comparable, it kinda sounds like you don't understand the problem at all.

This analogy could apply to every aircraft module (because they can still eat lunch together even if one doesn't order fries, much in the same way that people can fly together even if they don't all own the same modules), but it doesn't apply to the asset pack.

For the asset pack it's more that 4 guys are trying to have lunch, but one of them didn't order fries so he's prohibited from having lunch with the other 3.

There's quite a distinction there...

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Then don't suggest it as a cure.

There is a simply cure for all of this - buy the assets Pack. 

You're cured!

4 minutes ago, Tippis said:

No. This is four guys having lunch and one of them didn't order fries so he must go to a different restaurant and not have lunch with other guys at all.

This, of course, is a setup that ruins it for everyone involved except the competing restaurant who suddenly got a new customer through no effort of their own.

This is all getting a bit melodramatic.

it's an asset pack for a game, and it's.............................................................. $15.

Deal with it.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

8 minutes ago, Paganus said:

Why are maps different. The argument being made here about assets dividing the MP community applies equally to maps, and yet you're ok with that. Why is it different?

The terrains are already problematic as they are (though with the other WW2 sim, you can at least edit and create missions on maps you don't own and I think even fly on them in multiplayer - they're just unusable for you to fly on in your own missions and are unavailable for single player), it doesn't need to be made worse.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Nope. You can repeat that wilfully ignorant drivel as much as you like but it will never actually address the issue, much less solve the problem at hand.

The split still exists. No amount of buying things will make it go away. In fact, it's the whole “buying things” part that ensures that it is always there. All you're doing is repeatedly showing that the problem exists. That is an illustration, not a cure.

Hey, it was your example. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have brought it up.

it's an asset pack for a game, and

…it features a lock-out function that splits the community. This is a bad thing.

The way it's being dealt with is to not use the asset pack. This ruins it for everyone, same as in your example. That's also a bad thing.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

You're cured!

And there's an even better cure for it too!

Treat it the same way nearly everything else is treated.

Seriously, everything but maps doesn't do what the asset pack does. And it's not like this kind of thing is exclusive to DCS either, though, and this may interest you, they've found solutions for keeping paid content, paid content, without splitting up MP.

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

How is it melodramatic? It perfectly describes the situation.

I don't eat out much, but I've yet to come across a place that prohibits me from eating with my friends if they order a burger with fries, and I order a burger without fries.

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

it's an asset pack for a game, and it's.............................................................. $15.

Deal with it.

For the last time, the cost isn't the issue here.

Deal with it.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

2 minutes ago, Tippis said:

Nope. You can repeat that wilfully ignorant drivel as much as you like but it will never actually address the issue, much less solve the problem at hand.

The split still exists. No amount of buying things will make it go away. In fact, it's the whole “buying things” part that ensures that it is always there. All you're doing is repeatedly showing that the problem exists. That is an illustration, not a cure.

Hey, it was your example. If you didn't like it, you shouldn't have brought it up.

…it features a lock-out function that splits the community. This is a bad thing.

The way it's being dealt with is to not use the asset pack. This ruins it for everyone, same as in your example. That's also a bad thing.

I don't know where you grew up, but on my planet, if you want a toy, you pay for it. Or mommy and daddy give it to you.

• Thanks 1

The only way to have these assets in the game is if they’re paid for. 
They can’t be included free with the map. They can’t be paid for by the modules because some modules are by third parties. 
So you gotta buy it. 
If you don’t buy it you don’t play with it. Simple. 

And isn’t only $15 people! 🤦‍♂️

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I don't know where you grew up, but on my planet, if you want a toy, you pay for it.

Well, in that case let me be the first one to welcome you to Earth.

We have come up with a whole bunch of clever solutions to get around such tedious and unnecessary restrictions.

Not that it has any real bearing on the problem at hand.

3 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

They can’t be included free with the map. They can’t be paid for by the modules because some modules are by third parties. 

As always with your posts, this is of course inherently and categorically incorrect. 😄

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I don't know where you grew up, but on my planet, if you want a toy, you pay for it. Or mommy and daddy give it to you.

THE ASSET PACK BEING SOMETHING YOU PAY FOR, ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

I don't know how I can make it clearer to you...

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

So you gotta buy it. 
If you don’t buy it you don’t play with it. Simple. 

Ladies and gentleman, another person who completely fails understand what the issue is!

The problem, isn't that you need to pay for it.

The problem is that it splits the MP community up, whereas every other module (which you still have to pay for), doesn't.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s great to see these complaints about cost from people with $600 rudder pedals! 🤣

I take it you're talking about me?

Only, you realise I own the asset pack... And nowhere in this thread have I said that the cost of it is the problem - because it isn't.

The problem is that it splits MP up, whereas other payware modules don't.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

19 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

The problem is that it splits the MP community up,

Yeah it’s splits them into two groups. Those who are willing to pay for content and those who aren’t. How else do you expect this stuff to get developed?

If there are players who don’t feel like this pack is a value then they could just run their own server without it. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yeah it’s splits them into two groups. Those who are willing to pay for content and those who aren’t. How else do you expect this stuff to get developed?

If there are players who don’t feel like this pack is a value then they could just run their own server without it. 

You're still misunderstanding the issue...

You can still have the asset pack be paid for, without splitting MP up - as evidenced by literally everything else apart from the maps.

I can play on a server that has modules I don't own, I can't do the same with the asset pack - it's really that simple.

I'm going to end up saying this in my sleep at this rate, but the cost of the asset pack, isn't the problem. I am absolutely fine with paying for this stuff if it's something I want.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The way all other modules (that don't split them into two groups) are developed.

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

And that is exactly how it is being dealt with and why these restrictions end up being counter-productive false economy.

It causes less stuff to be sold, less stuff to be developed, and less content to be produced. This is a bad thing.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

THE ASSET PACK BEING SOMETHING YOU PAY FOR, ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

Excellent. Then the people who want it can pay for it, because paying for it is not a problem. 

Everything is fine now. :happy:

4 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

You can still have the asset pack be paid for, without splitting MP up - as evidenced by literally everything else apart from the maps.

My guess is that the asset packs are developed by different people than who make the maps, otherwise the cost could be rolled in together. But I think that’s not the case. And there are players who might not want the packs, so it’s been determined that both would sell better separately. 

Just now, Beirut said:

Excellent. Then the people who want it can pay for it, because paying for it is not a problem. 

Everything is fine now.

No. The problem still exists. It's just that paying for it was never the problem to begin with.

Pointlessly declaring that a well-established non-issue is not an issue does not magically cause the actual issue to no longer exist.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I am absolutely fine with paying for this stuff if it's something I want.

Well since you want is for everyone to have free Asset Packs maybe you could buy them a copy! 😃 Problem solved!

• Like 1

Well since you want is for everyone to have free Asset Packs

No. That is not what is being asked for. Thus, as Beirut so amply demonstrated, someone acting as fairy godmother does not solve anything.

Please, once again, as always, read the thread before responding. Oh, and your guesswork has never served you well as a basis for any of your attempts at constructing an understanding of the problem. It will not work here either — only actual reading will.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well since you want is for everyone to have free Asset Packs

Oh do I now? I didn't notice, after all, I never argued for the asset pack becoming free...

Word of advice Sharpe, try to avoid making up the thoughts other people have in their heads, especially when they've already clarified their position multiple times. 

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

maybe you could buy them a copy! 😃 Problem solved!

Or, you could just read the rest of the post...

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

6 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

My guess is that the asset packs are developed by different people than who make the maps, otherwise the cost could be rolled in together.

The asset pack is made by ED, who have so far made all but 2 maps (1 of which isn't released yet) and ED take a cut from every purchase on the e-shop (or at least modules).

6 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

But I think that’s not the case. And there are players who might not want the packs, so it’s been determined that both would sell better separately. 

Again, I'm okay with the asset pack being paid for, even if separately, just like I'm okay with every other module being paid for.

What I'm less okay with, is the asset pack splitting up MP, when every other module doesn't.

The asset pack can still be a paid for asset pack, and there being a solution to the MP problem, and there are plenty of examples of this being the case, even within DCS...

System:

8 minutes ago, Tippis said:

It's just that paying for it was never the problem to begin with.

This is really getting weird.

If paying for it isn't a problem..................................................................... then pay for it. 

Problem solved. You will have the thing. And unless not having the thing is the problem, then the problem will be solved because you will have the thing, because you paid for the thing, and paying for thing, I keep being told, is not a problem. Not a problem to pay for the thing, so you pay for the thing, and now you have the thing. 1 + 1= Thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beirut said:

This is really getting weird.

If paying for it isn't a problem..................................................................... then pay for it.

Problem solved. You will have the thing. And unless not having the thing is the problem, then the problem will be solved because you will have the thing, because you paid for the thing, and paying for thing, I keep being told, is not a problem. Not a problem to pay for the thing, so you pay for the thing, and now you have the thing. 1 + 1= Thing.

It really is no-one elses fault but your own that you spectacularly fail to understand what the problem is.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT SPLITS MP UP, SOMETHING THAT OTHER PAYWARE ADDITIONS DO NOT DO.

YOU CAN STILL HAVE THINGS BE PAYWARE, WHILE NOT SPLITTING MP UP, AS EVIDENCED BY LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MODULE.

Do you get it now?

If you want to go back to your restaurant analogy, you can still eat with your friends, even if you don't order fries with your burger.

Yours sincerely,

Someone who PAID for the WWII asset pack.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

Just now, Beirut said:

Why, when that doesn't solve the problem?

It's only weird because you're desperately clinging to this notion that paying for it (or not) is somehow part of the problem. You'll notice that you keep being told that paying for it isn't a problem. As such, your proposed solution does nothing. Because it has nothing to do with the problem. Repeating the same non-solution to an irrelevant non-problem does not actually address, much less solve, the issue at hand — it only elicits that exact same repeated response.

If you want to stop it being weird, let go of your misconception of what the problem is.

• Like 2

Just now, Northstar98 said:

It really is no-one elses fault but your own that you spectacularly fail to understand what the problem is.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT SPLITS MP UP, SOMETHING THAT OTHER PAYWARE ADDITIONS DO NOT DO.

YOU CAN STILL HAVE THINGS BE PAYWARE, WHILE NOT SPLITTING MP UP, AS EVIDENCED BY LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MODULE.

Do you get it now?

If the MP community is this fragile, perhaps My Little Pony would be a better hobby.

I think those things even come with wings, don't they? 

Just now, Beirut said:

If the MP community is this fragile, perhaps My Little Pony would be a better hobby.

Wow. You've really run out of anything even remotely resembling an actual relevant argument, haven't you?

Is it because you've finally understood that the problem isn't what you thought it was, but still need to get the last word in? Or is this the point where you were just trolling all along?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beirut said:

It just gets better and better...

I take it that there's some world record for the amount of times you can argue in bad faith in the shortest time that you're gunning for or something?

11 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Do you know what else comes with wings?

All of our payware modules.

Do you know what they don't do?

Split the MP community up.

Weird how those things can magically coexist, isn't it?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System: