Black Shark: First impression!

RedTiger

A while ago I said that I would post a track of my first flight just to see how well I could fly it with no training. Well, my first flight was in the instant action mission and I forgot to save the track. No matter, it was uneventful...mostly. :D Sorry if I'm rambling here, but I'd like to share my impressions.

First of all, I was surprised at how intuitive the aircraft is to fly. I have never, ever flown a helicopter, real or in a half-way decent simulator. Seriously guys, my only helicopter "sim" was Steel Talons in the arcade and Sega Genesis:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9785 :joystick:

From some of the descriptions at SimHQ from those that flew beta versions, I was expecting it to be somewhere between flying a crippled pig and brick. Not so! It took like a second to figure out how to make it go forward, but something just seemed to click between the cyclic and collective movement that seemed very natural. I was also expecting it to fall out of the sky the moment I banked a little hard, but it stayed nice and stable. Another eye-opener was the rudder. I somehow got the idea that the helicopter would spin like a top if I didn't apply constant rudder. This obviously isn't the case, maybe it would be for a helicopter without a coaxial rotor? I had to check a couple times to make sure I didn't have any type of easy flight model on.

My only problem was that I had no clue how to stop the damn thing. No, I don't mean land it and turn off the engine and avionics, I mean I don't really know how to make it stop moving forward! I flared a bit by pulling back on the cyclic and lowering the collective, but I don't exactly stop on a dime. I have mental images of helicopters coming to abrupt stops to land in movies and film clips from Vietnam. I kinda keep going for a kilometer or so before I start to get all kinds of beeps and horns warning me that I'm obviously going too slow. Maybe I should RTFM, maybe? ;)

The last thing I did was watch the familiarization training and took control at the end. I was very proud of myself for landing unscathed in what seemed to be a very rough and messy landing until I realized that invulnerability is turned on in the track. :doh: I watched in dismay as I made my helicopter flopped around like a fish, only to see it right itself automatically with no damage.

Oh, now I also see why Coyote is so picky when it comes to player-made 3D models. ;) :D

I'm going to get many hours of enjoyment out of this one. I can only dream what a DCS module for an F-15 or a Su-27 would be like!

:thumbup:

Hi RedTiger were you in Easy Flight mode?? this thing is not that easy to Fly but in Easy Flight mode it controls rather easy. If you are in Easy Flight Give Realistic flight a try if you didn;t already ;)

If you were in Realistic Flight you have overcome some Difficulty already as Flying this thing is the Hardest ;) Targetting and blowin stuff up isnt that hard but Fun..

I have been having a tough time with this Beast. But mainly you need to Retrim at almost every second. I am used to Flying EECH, EE2. but the KA-50 Mostly you need to make Small adjustments nuthin to Radical and Remember to Always Retrim well at least alot..

I have already clipped the rotors and here is why that would happen for you new guys .. If you are using Alot of Collective and Apply Right Rudder you can have the Rotors collide and you will most definetely Crash & Burn. Mostly you apply alot of Collective Flying high in the Mountains just be mindfull of your Right Rudder as you can apply some just Not too much..

Do this Get airborne and apply alot of Collective but not so much to burn the Trans and trip the Alarms of Overtorque. And get into a Hover goto an Outside View and look at the Rotors on the Right side of the Copter they are closer then the left side is.. And if you apply to much Right Rudder they will clip and you will Crash & Burn..

Patience..Patience.. Patience that is the key ...

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Zorin, I think we won't get anywhere with this and it's kind of off-topic so I'll write only few short answers and would prefer to wait for a track from my "challenge". I could wach it in a week or so (I don't have BS). Orr I could record the track myself within this time.

Let's go:

• I'm 90% positive that a mechanic can setup the controls like this in a primitive heli like Mi-2 (the fact it would be against regulations is irrelevant)
  • I've said it before - I don't discuss AP-off situations
  • no silent days in RL - sure, but I'm pretty sure most pilots would answer the question "how would your machine behave in steady air?"
  • I am really sure about my "good feeling". I didn't say excelent. If I was convinced about my excelent "feeling"/knowledge I wouldn't bother discusing things with anyone. I've done 20 flighthours total on 3 types of fixed wing props and I don't recall anything that suprised me except the inner ear phenomenas.
  • unless Bf-109 has a fixed trim tab for cruisse conditions - sure, unless, but WE don't know and I get a feeling that you use it as an argument

So I wait for a track to analyse (with pilot rendered and "controls indicators" on!) and will probably answer only PMs as I have very little right to write in this thread for obvious reasons.

Beaker_VBA:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=569223&postcount=27

Given the missleading title you're not ignorant at all :D

Mechanics don't get to rig flight controls however they want, they are all set up the exact same. Besides, there is nothing that a mechanic can do to make an aircraft more stable.

I have hovered an Mi-17 in near-zero wind conditions, and it required constant tiny input to all of the controls.

It was only assumption. Just imagine the mechanic is a terrorist who wants yuo to hover "legs on the floor". If Mi-2 require 4 degress rudder pedal input during hover then in such primitive construction controls can be adjusted in such a small range.

Tiny - thank you. I rest my case.

From having flown a few hours in the Robinson R22 and the occasional play in a Longranger there's always an element of pedal being involved.

Ain't that the freakin' truth.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348