Attacking a mover with paveway II

TheBigTatanka

Question for the folks here who know stuff (looks at Fredderf).....

I'm not having consistent results attacking movers with CCRP from 15-20K AGL using paveway II on a self lase.

I know that a better attack would be to have one wingman drop CCIP while leading the convoy, and I could continuously lase his bomb -- but my wingman didn't have tally and i needed to employ before this convoy went under a cloud..... So i want to know....

1. What are your best practices for self lase paveway II employment (attack from behind, or from the side?) And do you continuously lase on movers (i think you are supposed to for movers, but I'm not sure).

2. Are there any issues with the SPI keeping up with the point track on the TGP? It looked to me (using the joint helmet) that my SPI was locked to a point on the ground where i first designated the convoy, instead of following them (which the SOI TGP was)... That obviously screws up the attack.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

53 minutes ago, TheBigTatanka said:

1. What are your best practices for self lase paveway II employment (attack from behind, or from the side?) And do you continuously lase on movers (i think you are supposed to for movers, but I'm not sure).

My best results were when employing from the back then from sides, from the front it was overshooting. I lase them on last 10 or 12 sec till the bomb hits.

53 minutes ago, TheBigTatanka said:

2. Are there any issues with the SPI keeping up with the point track on the TGP? It looked to me (using the joint helmet) that my SPI was locked to a point on the ground where i first designated the convoy, instead of following them (which the SOI TGP was)... That obviously screws up the attack.

Yes, the SPI doesn't update with TGP. When you point track a mover it will get stuck on a point where you initiated the point track, so in turn it leads you on to the wrong release point,  that bug was reported already:

What I usually do if I need to track some mover for a min or two I just move the TGP a bit then the SPI updates. Hope this helps.

Edited by Furiz

Thanks Furiz -- I'll add the step of moving the TGP SPI and re-latching it to the mover prior to weapons release as part of my flow. Glad to see the bug is reported and they know about it.  I didn't have enough of a sample size to know if it was a bug, but it sure looked like one.  Cheers.

Edited by TheBigTatanka

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

1. Always use area track. This would be normal practice when SPI is continuously updated and doubly so with bug that it's not. Point has only a few uses: hands off keeping tabs on moving vehicles and missile handoff.
  2. Pick a likely point of aim about one TOF ahead of the moving target.
  3. Refine the laser onto the target or slightly ahead at the last few seconds before impact.
  4. Preserve bomb energy with delayed lasing (~12s is my fav).
  5. A slight dive delivery ensures bomb seeker can actually see laser spot.

I find sideways (say +-45°) the least troublesome as the kinematics aren't changed much by the target motion. When dropping from high altitude it usually doesn't matter much. The most worrisome situation is where target is moving toward you as the bomb seeker may never see the laser spot. That's when picking a nearer SPI, slight dive, and other techniques are the most helpful.

• Like 5

One more question -- in a related topic:   Do people have a standard way of tuning the contrast / brightness / and manual gain for TGP and Maverick images?   I tend to go manual gain, and just touch the gain and contrast.   It might not be worth getting too in-depth on since we are expecting FLIR improvements in the core game any day now?      Do you guys adjust your Mavericks and TGP on the ground for clarity while bore sighting, or do you wait until airborne and cruising to the area?  

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

4 hours ago, TheBigTatanka said:

One more question -- in a related topic:   Do people have a standard way of tuning the contrast / brightness / and manual gain for TGP and Maverick images?   I tend to go manual gain, and just touch the gain and contrast.   It might not be worth getting too in-depth on since we are expecting FLIR improvements in the core game any day now?      Do you guys adjust your Mavericks and TGP on the ground for clarity while bore sighting, or do you wait until airborne and cruising to the area?  

I tend to set my TGP and Mav to 3 clicks contrast up by default.   I'll refine from there over tgt.    Also OSB for manual gain on the TGP incase i get into a situation where the symbology is whited out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:26 PM, Frederf said:
  1. Always use area track. This would be normal practice when SPI is continuously updated and doubly so with bug that it's not. Point has only a few uses: hands off keeping tabs on moving vehicles and missile handoff.
  2. Pick a likely point of aim about one TOF ahead of the moving target.
  3. Refine the laser onto the target or slightly ahead at the last few seconds before impact.
  4. Preserve bomb energy with delayed lasing (~12s is my fav).
  5. A slight dive delivery ensures bomb seeker can actually see laser spot.

I find sideways (say +-45°) the least troublesome as the kinematics aren't changed much by the target motion. When dropping from high altitude it usually doesn't matter much. The most worrisome situation is where target is moving toward you as the bomb seeker may never see the laser spot. That's when picking a nearer SPI, slight dive, and other techniques are the most helpful.

So you don’t use point track on a moving target during your attack run with a lgb? Do you only use point track to keep track of your target when off?