SA-5 Not Giving Launch Warning On RWR

HeavyGun1450
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Not sure if ED or anyone else on the forum has experienced this, but I have experienced this several times now and know several others on the same server I play on have as well, but it appears sometimes that the SA-5 will not always give you a launch warning on the RWR. I have experienced this in both the tomcat and hornet so I'm sure this is happening to all aircraft and it is a bug with the SA-5 only. Basically what generally happens is your cruising along at 30k-35k and enter the edge of the SA-5s engagement range, the SA-5 will soft lock you for a few seconds, drop lock for a few seconds and repeat over and over again until all of a sudden you get killed by a missile from it with absolutely no launch warning what so ever. I suspect that unlike other SAMs, the SA-5's missile doesn't self-destruct when illumination is lost, and that there's a bug where if it drops lock and reacquires it won't trigger the launch warning again.

22 hours ago, BlackRook said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the SA-5, as modeled, is a semi-active radar homing missile.  Discussion in other threads (See:  High Digit SAMs Asset Pack) talks about how DCS only models two 'warning types', and does not fit well to the SARH model?  Read page two of that thread.

Yes the SA-5 is a SARH missile.

Edited by HeavyGun1450

• 3 weeks later...

I have been able to reproduce this bug twice, two trackfiles attached. Both of the track files have different SA-5 Site layouts with me flying at the edge of the engagement zone of the SA-5, but both result in the same thing: The SA-5 will constantly soft lock you up, drop the lock and repeat. Then without you knowing (because you dont get a rwr launch warning) the sa-5 fires a missile at you, and a minute later, your dead. Note, I have ran this several times over on both track files, it does not happen every single time for whatever reason. I hope this is fixed and helps the ED team out.

SA-5Bug#2.trk SA-5Bug.trk

• Like 3

• Solution

I've just tried both tracks. I can confirm the Tomcat does not let you hear the missile lock alarm (I only hear it for a few seconds, as you said). I took control of the aircraft and moved it to all directions but the issue remained.

I then edited one of your track and replaced the Tomcat with a Hornet. This time, I was able to hear the missile lock tone until I was hit.

I'd say it's a Tomcat-only issue. Please report to Heatblur over here.

SA-5Bug with Hornet-no bug.trk

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I've just tried both tracks. I can confirm the Tomcat does not let you hear the missile lock alarm (I only hear it for a few seconds, as you said). I took control of the aircraft and moved it to all directions but the issue remained.

I then edited one of your track and replaced the Tomcat with a Hornet. This time, I was able to hear the missile lock tone until I was hit.

SA-5Bug with Hornet-no bug.trk 47.67 kB · 0 downloads

I believe you are right. Tried it several times with the hornet and couple of times with the F16, F15C, A-10 and cant reproduce. Nearly everytime I try it with the Tomcat is happens. I will go submit it to Heatblur. Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, Flappie said:

SA-5Bug with Hornet-no bug.trk 47.67 kB · 1 download

Still awaiting for a response from Heatblur on this.