Maximum STORE target range?

MrReynolds
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

TL:WR - Do you have to be within laser range limits to store a target with the TADS?

Probably answering my own question here - - -

Flying towards a hot zone.  Highish altitude as I'm out of range of the enemy.  I can easilly spot different targets and want to store them as individual target points so that when I go contour hugging or behind a building they're already....stored.  Slave, fire, pop up and lase.

Approaching the zone, when I lase it says soemthing like 9999 range, as I'm say 15+ miles out and clearly out of Hellfire range.  I CAN store the target and it saves, but it comes up WAY short of where I'm looking when I slave to the stored point.

Possibly, as I'm coming from the Hornet, but am I right in thinking the store NEEDS the laser range to go with GPS coordinates in order to get a good spot?  It works fine once I'm closer and down low, but now I have to scuttle about looking and storing whilst in range of APC missiles, SAMs and the like.

The other thing could be a possible laser mix up with first and last laser spot?  

So, what do you think?

1) You need to get a valid laser range in order to STORE a point

1b) The laser range is too short for this (bug or real life) so therefore can't store an accurate point

3) It's a mix up with first and last laser spots

4) Just get down and dirty with the rest of us and dodge some missiles!!

Always fun getting to know the ins and outs of a new bird isn't it !

Thanks for any help and support, MrR.

• ED Team

Hi, 

the laser has a limited range you want to be inside 10 km as far as I am aware. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
  • Solution

Yes, laser range is limited to 9999 meters. However if you use another range source, such as Auto or Manual, you can store further out. But the accuracy will be in question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head