Oculus Quest 2 + Original Link Cable + RTX3080 10GB + i7 12700K + RAM32GB + M.2SSD "need help"

Ericcaff

Good day to all, after waste lot of time on searching best settings on my specs for smooth normal playing DCS on VR my hand is down and i don't know really problem is in me, my PC, my Oculus or i don't know what else! How to improve quality and stable gameplay, my PC not potato old, but game run not like I expect! 😞
Finally after tons of setting tests i can normally play only on this settings down bellow, but is is very low and image in Oculus look not nice 😞 also flying low near big citys and looking around i have stuttering, but FPS not have big drop, i have in Oculus soft default 72Hz stable FPS 72 near citys drops to 65/69 not big drop, but i see not good stuttering on buildings. NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL all default try lot of things do there like saw in other posts recommendations nothings help. Also try it Oculus debuting tool and Oculus Tray Tools both have same story 😞
All my settings down below.

SPEC.PNG

CPU.PNG

SSD.PNG

Paging file.PNGGPU.PNGGPU 1.PNG

Oculus.PNG

Oculus 1.PNG

Oculus 2.PNG

Oculus 3.PNG

OTT 2.PNG

OTT 1.PNG

DCS 1.jpg

DCS 2.jpg

i7 12700K overclock 5Ghz + MSi RTX4090 Ventus x3 24GB OC + G-Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 4000Mhz + Samsung M.2 + HP Reverb V2 + Logitech G X56

Everytime ASW kick in you will have an stutter for half of a second and it happens every time you can achieve 72 fps so or you turn down graphics options to maintain 72fps always or you force ASW always enabled

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

ASW i always disable, otherwise when it is in auto mode - have stuttering when system automatically turn it on or off, if its on on 45Hz all looks smooth, but plane wing edge have ghosting, also when fly near other plane it is ghosting, also look terrible. My graphic options alread like you see on screenshoot not on the top, it is on low almost all settings 😕

i7 12700K overclock 5Ghz + MSi RTX4090 Ventus x3 24GB OC + G-Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 4000Mhz + Samsung M.2 + HP Reverb V2 + Logitech G X56

• 3 weeks later...

Install this: https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit/releases , then I am attaching my config (I also use a 3080). Replace the default one from the zip with mine. Set oculus resolution slider all the way to the right (yes you are reading that right, maximum res) then play around with the renderScale value, I use 1 to 0.95 in single player 0.95-0.85 in multiplayer and 0.80 in demanding multiplayer servers but you need to find values that will give you optimal headroom. 

EDIT: (note you need to restart DCS for the change to take effect). If you still won't be happy with the results, change the refresh rate in Oculus to 90 or 120hz and lock your DCS framerate in Nvidia control panel to 60 or less if you can stand it. 

vrperfkit.yml

Edited by desolunatic
  • Like 1

65fps?  Your system is running fine, it's doing a fantastic job actually.  But it's only going to be smooth, ie free from microstutter if you're running either 72fps consistently, or 36fps consistently.   So you want to be either at your refresh rate, or a whole number fraction of that.  

Best option is to turn ASW on, which solves a LOT of problems.  Or, you could try running the headset at 120hz, you're pretty close to half that as it is, and that may solve most of your problems.  

If you don't want to use ASW, then whatever refresh rate you choose, you want to tune DCS to run at half that

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

When i turn on ASW all work smoothly, but i have ghosting, imposible normal play with that, when i look at the close plane it is fully ghosting same happened when i look at my plane wing edges also ghosting when i turn plan. Some stabe work i have on Caucasian map, because it is not so hard with objects. But I total shocked about 3080 GPU and I712700K +32GB ram i need almost all on Low in VR 😞

19 hours ago, desolunatic said:

Install this: https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit/releases , then I am attaching my config (I also use a 3080). Replace the default one from the zip with mine. Set oculus resolution slider all the way to the right (yes you are reading that right, maximum res) then play around with the renderScale value, I use 1 to 0.95 in single player 0.95-0.85 in multiplayer and 0.80 in demanding multiplayer servers but you need to find values that will give you optimal headroom. 

EDIT: (note you need to restart DCS for the change to take effect). If you still won't be happy with the results, change the refresh rate in Oculus to 90 or 120hz and lock your DCS framerate in Nvidia control panel to 60 or less if you can stand it. 

vrperfkit.yml 5.67 kB · 5 downloads

Thank you I will try it, but i was tons time also testing with Nvidia Control panel actually it is total not work for me 😞 Loks like i change every setting under DCS launch set, but nothing change in game.

I wouldn't use Oculus Tray Tool. I don't think it's needed anymore and is just another process that you don't need running.

Try these changes to your DCS settings. Some might seem drastic but I think these are the main things that effect FPS and I really don't think you'll notice much difference in visual quality in VR. You can try turning some back on/up later:

Textures: Medium

Civ. Traffic: Off

Shadows: Off

Lens Effects: Off

Forest Visibility: 60 - 75%

Forest Details Factor: 60 - 75%

Scenery Details Factor: 60 - 75%

Preload Radius: Full

Chimney Smoke Density: 1

Cockpit Global Illumination: Off

Also, you should be able to run MSAA: x2 to reduce jaggies.

I also struggle with deciding whether to run with ASW on, off or auto. None of the ASW settings seem to work completely satisfactory. I either see ghosting of ground objects, ghosting of aircraft or (with ASW on) a shimmering at the peripheral of my vision. I don't have as strong a graphics card as you and have settled on just running with ASW off and lots of eye candy turned off in DCS settings. I'm not sure if it's possible to run completely stutter and ghosting free with a Quest 2, no matter what your FPS and ASW is, so I'd be interested to see what results you get with the settings I recommend above, given that you have a more powerful system than me.

For reference I'm using a i6-11600K (I think!), Sapphire AMD 5700XT, Samsung 1Tb SSD, 32Gb RAM and can manage around 40-50-ish FPS in multiplayer.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I wouldn't use Oculus Tray Tool. I don't think it's needed anymore and is just another process that you don't need running.

Try these changes to your DCS settings. Some might seem drastic but I think these are the main things that effect FPS and I really don't think you'll notice much difference in visual quality in VR. You can try turning some back on/up later:

I also struggle with deciding whether to run with ASW on, off or auto. None of the ASW settings seem to work completely satisfactory. I either see ghosting of ground objects, ghosting of aircraft or (with ASW on) a shimmering at the peripheral of my vision. I don't have as strong a graphics card as you and have settled on just running with ASW off and lots of eye candy turned off in DCS settings. I'm not sure if it's possible to run completely stutter and ghosting free with a Quest 2, no matter what your FPS and ASW is, so I'd be interested to see what results you get with the settings I recommend above, given that you have a more powerful system than me.

For reference I'm using a i6-11600K (I think!), Sapphire AMD 5700XT, Samsung 1Tb SSD, 32Gb RAM and can manage around 40-50-ish FPS in multiplayer.

Will ASW still work if OTT isn't running?

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

Yes

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes, ASW is part of the Oculus software. 

Some useful keyboard commands to quickly toggle between the different modes, so you can see the effect in-game while you have DCS running:

ctrl-keypad1 ASW Disabled.
ctrl-keypad2 Force fps (half whatever your refresh rate is set - eg. half 72(36fps), etc.) no ASW.
ctrl-keypad3 Force fps with ASW.
ctrl-keypad4 Enabled ASW auto.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, ApacheLongbow said:

Where do those keybindings come from?

It is work when you use default Oculus soft "Oculus Debug Tool", tested by my self.

5 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Yes, ASW is part of the Oculus software. 

Some useful keyboard commands to quickly toggle between the different modes, so you can see the effect in-game while you have DCS running:

ctrl-keypad1 ASW Disabled.
ctrl-keypad2 Force fps (half whatever your refresh rate is set - eg. half 72(36fps), etc.) no ASW.
ctrl-keypad3 Force fps with ASW.
ctrl-keypad4 Enabled ASW auto.

I was tested all this options, for me playeble mode only with ASW Disabled, but then i have in sime places or some times frame dropes, it is happened in mapes where more objects, trees. When it enable, force i have hard ghosting, when it is on automatacly it us also unacceptable becasue when he switching on or off i have micro stuttering at this moment.

13 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

13 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Actually I use Oculus Tray Tool or Oculus Debug tool becasue there is very important thing what need if you use Oculus Quest 1 or 2, this options named Quest Link settings if us use PC VR whit out it your picture look laike total garbage in low resolution, what why i need some of this soft running. At this moment look like i find some playeble serttings on Caucasian map with F-16 and Normandy map on Spitfire, have some frame dropps, but look like nothing to do with that, will posst my settings later.
Want understand why Nvidia Control Palnel settings not work form me 😞 Also did not sure if in Oculus soft change fresh rate 90Hz or 120Hz is it helps with ASW, why I use 72Hz, becasue whis is easyer for GPU than use 120Hz option.

Everything you can do on Oculus Try Tool you already can on Oculus Debug Tool, already included on Oculus PC Software.

The only thing you lose is the profiles for differents games, but on DCS if i want something different i use a .bat with a .txt where i define specific options for Oculus Debug Tools

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

13 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Everything you can do on Oculus Try Tool you already can on Oculus Debug Tool, already included on Oculus PC Software.

The only thing you lose is the profiles for differents games, but on DCS if i want something different i use a .bat with a .txt where i define specific options for Oculus Debug Tools

I know that my friend, becasue i was fully testet both softs, OTT i use especialy becasue there is game profiles, i have 10 VR games i need for every game special settings. But actually i didn't see any different for game progress impacte between those 2 softs.

8 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

Where do those keybindings come from?

I'm not sure I understand your question. They're not DCS key bindings or anything, they're literally just the keys you tap on your keyboard to switch between the different ASW modes.

5 hours ago, Ericcaff said:

I was tested all this options, for me playeble mode only with ASW Disabled, but then i have in sime places or some times frame dropes, it is happened in mapes where more objects, trees. When it enable, force i have hard ghosting, when it is on automatacly it us also unacceptable becasue when he switching on or off i have micro stuttering at this moment.

I think you describe much the same that I experience. That's why I too fly with ASW off.

I do find that: Force fps 36 with ASW enabled (ctrl-keypad3 Force fps with ASW) does stop ghosting of ground objects when I fly low over them, but I don't like the shimmering at the edges of my vision that ASW produces. I don't know why it does that.

They're the key binds for the Oculus software, as far as I know.

I'm running at 36 forced because I have my refresh rate set to 72Hz, if I had it set at 90Hz it would be 45. It's always half whatever Hz you have your headset set at.

Ok guys i made a video how it is work for me and situation is following, with this settings what i poste now i can play almost normally, but not at all maps even multiplayer. Trying multiplayer Caucasian map with F16 in server 40 players work almost ok, but have frame drops, than tested with Spitfire Normandy map in multiplayer 10 players in server, same story it work almost ok, but also have time to time frame drops. 
 At the video I show how bad it is work for me on Marianas map with F16, when frames is under 70FPS in goggles I have hard stuttering in video it is not look so bad, but in goggles it is unplayable. Than I change map to Normandy and fly with Spitfire, all work well 70/72FPS even mirror is on, I know it is always eat lot of performance, but anyway work well.
 That's why I don't understand what is the problem, why when game is little bit under 70FPS in goggles i have hard stuttering? Can some one tell me for some one ASW work good whit out ghosting, if yes please tell me you full settings.

Video link:

My settings now:
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Edited by Ericcaff

17 hours ago, Ericcaff said:

Ok guys i made a video how it is work for me and situation is following, with this settings what i poste now i can play almost normally, but not at all maps even multiplayer. Trying multiplayer Caucasian map with F16 in server 40 players work almost ok, but have frame drops, than tested with Spitfire Normandy map in multiplayer 10 players in server, same story it work almost ok, but also have time to time frame drops. 
 At the video I show how bad it is work for me on Marianas map with F16, when frames is under 70FPS in goggles I have hard stuttering in video it is not look so bad, but in goggles it is unplayable. Than I change map to Normandy and fly with Spitfire, all work well 70/72FPS even mirror is on, I know it is always eat lot of performance, but anyway work well.
 That's why I don't understand what is the problem, why when game is little bit under 70FPS in goggles i have hard stuttering? Can some one tell me for some one ASW work good whit out ghosting, if yes please tell me you full settings.

Video link:

My settings now:

Set your pixel density to 1.0 in VR settings and I really recommend you try the vrperfkit mod from my previous reply - it works. If you notice right now there is simply too many pixels being pushed at too high framerate as your GPU is getting maxed out pretty much all the time in the video - at close to 100% usage through most of it. 

VR perf kit limits the amount of pixels rendered by using both upscaling and foveated rendering (peripheral area is being rendered at lower resolution) - you will have much better results with it. Additionally, if it will still be not enough, get rid of the 2x MSAA. 

Edited by desolunatic

6 hours ago, desolunatic said:

Set your pixel density to 1.0 in VR settings and I really recommend you try the vrperfkit mod from my previous reply - it works. If you notice right now there is simply too many pixels being pushed at too high framerate as your GPU is getting maxed out pretty much all the time in the video - at close to 100% usage through most of it. 

VR perf kit limits the amount of pixels rendered by using both upscaling and foveated rendering (peripheral area is being rendered at lower resolution) - you will have much better results with it. Additionally, if it will still be not enough, get rid of the 2x MSAA. 

Ok today I want try it, but actually never install MODS for DCS, can you explain what need to do with Downloaded vrperfkit folder, there is no exe file i was replace vrperfkit.yml with your add file, but what i need to do with this folder? Maybe you have instruction how to what I need to do for correct installation?

I just need copy files dxgi.dll & your configurate vrperfkit.yml to:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin

Do I need run Oculus Tray Tool?

1.JPG

Edited by Ericcaff

3 hours ago, Ericcaff said:

I just need copy files dxgi.dll & your configurate vrperfkit.yml to:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin

Do I need run Oculus Tray Tool?

Correct, copy over there and replace vrperfkit.yml, with the one from my first reply. Then play around with the renderScale value till you find one you like. It does not replace any of the OTT functions so you have to use it as well if you normally would. 

Edited by desolunatic

On 4/29/2022 at 10:56 PM, desolunatic said:

Correct, copy over there and replace vrperfkit.yml, with the one from my first reply. Then play around with the renderScale value till you find one you like. It does not replace any of the OTT functions so you have to use it as well if you normally would. 

Yesterday was testing vrperfkit with your settings, testing in same maps like on my video and also Multiplayer: Picture is sharper, distance view is more pixelate - Marianas map work totally same, Normandy as well. Multiplayer also have framedrops, I dont know why, but at moment for me looks whit out vrperfkit have less framedrops. I was try with pixel destiny 1.1 and 1.0 - with 1.0 for me look not really good, cockpit details hard to read, need always zooming and distance looks very bloom 😞 At this moment play with out vrperfkit, but will try more setting vrperfkit, hope DCS some day will be more optimized for VR now I can play almost normal not super hard maps. 😞

27.04.2022 в 19:18, Ericcaff сказал:

Thank you I will try it, but i was tons time also testing with Nvidia Control panel actually it is total not work for me

FYI: Nvidia Control Panel settings do not have significant effect to DCS VR image quality, only few of them and very minor, guy from this video did great investigation of it: 

i9-11900K, MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO, DDR4 32,0GB RAM, Gigabyte RTX3090, Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, Quest 3, standalone DCS.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, desolunatic said:

Today tested more and man I can tell - you was RIGHT, it is work I just make less sharpness than distance not looks so pixelate, but in totally you are right and it is help, testing on Normandy with Spitfire with my settings I had some frame drops and in big cities of course more drops, but with vrperfkit work with out drops even in cities 😉 need little more testing settings and look like this soft work for me well. Thank you very much.

P.S Just stupid question, when I find best settings for me in vrperfkitm how can i save it, otherwise I need every time set it again when relaunch the game??? 😕

Edited by Ericcaff
  • Like 2