Link 4A presence and frequency assignments request

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

With ED's new ACLS system for the Hornet, a new advanced waypoint action has been introduced under 'Perform Command': Activate/Deactivate Link 4, which includes the ability to set what the frequency should be.

Is there any possibility that HB's Link 4A implementation can use these assignments? Right now they're automatically generated with no ability to control presence or the frequency assigned.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The one thing we want to avoid is to have two systems at the same time, as it would add to the confusion. So if the new Link4 gets added across the board and we can have it function with all carriers also in the future, in order to not take away existing gameplay for our customers, we will of course consider it.

For the time being we will leave the current system as is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 minute ago, IronMike said:

The one thing we want to avoid is to have two systems at the same time, as it would add to the confusion. So if the new Link4 gets added across the board and we can have it function with all carriers also in the future, in order to not take away existing gameplay for our customers, we will of course consider it.

For the time being we will leave the current system as is.

Awesome, thanks for answering IronMike, I appreciate it!

Though, just to be clear, I don't expect HB to abandon their Link 4A functionality, I'm mostly concerned about having consistent frequency assignments - so they can be controlled via the mission editor instead of automatically.

Of course this relies on ED providing those advanced waypoint actions available to all applicable Link 4A hosts.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Right now it is best to wait to see how ED implements it. If it comes for all carriers, I am sure we can find a way to a) support it with the Forrestal and b) with the Tomcat in general. IMO it is best to have one solution for everything, so if the new system by ED is better than what we have, I see no reason why not to replace it. Please note that this is not a promise just yet, feasiblity, etc. will all play a factor as well ofc. 

• Like 5

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Perhaps this could mean Link 4 communication between the F-14 and F-18 in the far future if the systems get merged.

I also asked NineLine about the possibility of Link-4 A2A DL between the F-18 and F-14 (I’m not too sure if this capability even exists).

Spoiler

682D6E36-2ED0-4F25-8157-A33C9672EFD6.jpeg

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

14 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Perhaps this could mean Link 4 communication between the F-14 and F-18 in the far future if the systems get merged.

I also asked NineLine about the possibility of Link-4 A2A DL between the F-18 and F-14 (I’m not too sure if this capability even exists).

Reveal hidden contents

682D6E36-2ED0-4F25-8157-A33C9672EFD6.jpeg

Link 4 consists of 2 'modes' if you will.

There's Link 4A which can be used as a one-way tactical data link from a host unit (i.e ships or AEW&C platform) to other units under control of the host. This is also the mode that ACLS uses.

Then there's Link 4C, which is the fighter-to-fighter data link. This was exclusive to the Tomcat and only allows for 4 aircraft to interconnect with each other (so, more of an intraflight data link).

So no, the Hornet won't be able to be used with the Tomcat, even if they both share a common Link 4A system.

But it would be good if ED implements the tactical data link component of Link 4A for the Hornet, meaning that the Tomcat and Hornet can use common Link 4A hosts that are on the same frequency.

Right now HB has a separate system which automatically sets Link 4A presence on applicable units, and automatically assigns a frequency.

It would be good if the 2 systems are able to use the same advanced waypoint actions to govern Link 4A presence and frequency, even if the 2 use their own Link 4A systems.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

System:

10 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Link 4 consists of 2 'modes' if you will.

There's Link 4A which can be used as a one-way tactical data link from a host unit (i.e ships or AEW&C platform) to other units under control of the host.

Then there's Link 4C, which is the fighter-to-fighter data link. This was exclusive to the Tomcat and only allows for 4 aircraft to interconnect with each other (so, more of an intraflight data link).

So no, the Hornet won't be able to be used with the Tomcat, even if they both share a common Link 4A system.

But it would be good if ED implements the tactical data link component of Link 4A for the Hornet, meaning that the Tomcat and Hornet can use common Link 4A hosts that are on the same frequency.

Right now HB has a separate system which automatically sets Link 4A presence on applicable units, and automatically assigns a frequency.

It would be good if the 2 systems are able to use the same advanced waypoint actions to govern Link 4A presence and frequency, even if the 2 use their own Link 4A systems.

Damn I was hoping for possible Link-4C integration in the F-18.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

2 hours ago, DSplayer said:

Damn I was hoping for possible Link-4C integration in the F-18.

Not a thing unfortunately. If Link4 was to become server-side at one point, AWACS for example could communicate both vice versa if I am not mistaken. But as is now that would not work.

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

• 1 year later...

Is there any update on this issue given new versions of DCS being pushed by ED or how the Link4  integration with ships has played out over the last year?

• Like 1

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group 1 - Battlegroup Delta

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

-Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Commander, U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

2 Victories, Vietnam

I think this functionality has come with DCS 2.9.0.46801 OB, in the changelog for the Tomcat, this was mentioned:

Fixed Tomcat Link 4 TDS frequency not aligned with DCS Mission Editor Link 4 frequency setting.

So presumably, the Tomcat's Link 4A frequency for aircraft carriers will use what's set in the mission editor. Unfortunately it's up to ED to add the same Link 4A task (or a data link using task) for the E-2 and other ships.

I haven't been able to test this yet though (new build isn't quite up to spec to really play DCS yet).

• Like 1

System:

On 11/25/2023 at 12:06 PM, Northstar98 said:

I think this functionality has come with DCS 2.9.0.46801 OB, in the changelog for the Tomcat, this was mentioned:

So presumably, the Tomcat's Link 4A frequency for aircraft carriers will use what's set in the mission editor. Unfortunately it's up to ED to add the same Link 4A task (or a data link using task) for the E-2 and other ships.

I haven't been able to test this yet though (new build isn't quite up to spec to really play DCS yet).

I think it just sets the carrier's Link-4 frequency listed in the Tomcat's kneeboard to the same frequency that has been set up for the carrier in the ME. That's all.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I think it just sets the carrier's Link-4 frequency listed in the Tomcat's kneeboard to the same frequency that has been set up for the carrier in the ME. That's all.

Ok - at least that is unified though.

If the frequency isn't set in the mission editor, does the Tomcat automatically generate one?

System:

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

If the frequency isn't set in the mission editor, does the Tomcat automatically generate one?

Yeah, that's how it was before it was even possible to set Link-4 freqs in the mission editor, which is still a fairly new feature.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg