data Link Expanded Data Fields

Comrade Doge

Greetings readers,

I am most pleased to see Link 16 being improved constantly on the F-16, most recently by the addition of the Primary Datalink Target / PDLT. In my recent readings over publicly available documentation for the F-16, I have stumbled across a feature that would surely be greatly appreciated by the Viper community, if implemented.

I am talking about the Link 16 Expanded Data feature for the HSD and FCR formats. In short, this feature displays informative text about the Link 16 track under the cursors, namely aircraft type, it's airspeed, and in the case of donor members, also ordnance remaining, among many other data. To not be confused with the "Expand Mode", which is just a zoom-in feature on the HSD, as Wags detailed in a video.

This information is available for further study in depth from the publicly available MLU M3 Update Manual, starting with page 160 (same document that described the already implemented PDLT functionality).

If the development team finds this feasible, and time to implement this feature, it would be most appreciated.

All the best and have an easy day!

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team
33 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

@BIGNEWYSorry to bother, is this functionality planned for future F-16 updates? You'd help many Viper nerds 🙂

Hi,

to be determined, for now remains a wish list item. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

to be determined, for now remains a wish list item. 

thanks

The exact same information is available in the Hornet code as you TUC a contact: Abbreviated Callsign, Aircraft Type and Speed. For hostiles, Aircraft type and Speed.

Is there any reason why these can't be added to the F-16 as well? Without this 'Expanded Link 16 data'  It makes the HSD display pretty useless, as you can never tell who anyone is..... It's a MASSIVE glaring omission to your Link 16 depiction.

Hopefully this is more than just a wishlist item. 

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Has there been any progress on this point? It still isn't possible to tell who's who on LINK 16 outside of your own team members in the DCS F-16C. Both the DCS A-10C and F/A-18C has had an equivalent feature for ages, I don't see why we can't have it in the DCS F-16C as well?

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• BIGNEWY changed the title to data Link Expanded Data Fields
  • ED Team
4 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

Has there been any progress on this point? It still isn't possible to tell who's who on LINK 16 outside of your own team members in the DCS F-16C. Both the DCS A-10C and F/A-18C has had an equivalent feature for ages, I don't see why we can't have it in the DCS F-16C as well?

As mentioned previously, expanded data fields on the HSD is still to be determined for future development, so no news to share at the moment.

However, with regard to friendly datalink symbols and comparisons to the F-18 or A-10 functionality, the avionics version that is modelled within DCS: F-16C does not have the capability to see a TNDL STN of a friendly datalink contact by moving the HSD cursor over it.

Thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 4/25/2024 at 5:25 PM, BIGNEWY said:

As mentioned previously, expanded data fields on the HSD is still to be determined for future development, so no news to share at the moment.

However, with regard to friendly datalink symbols and comparisons to the F-18 or A-10 functionality, the avionics version that is modelled within DCS: F-16C does not have the capability to see a TNDL STN of a friendly datalink contact by moving the HSD cursor over it.

Thank you 

I'm fully aware that you cannot see TNDL STN in the F-16C on the HSD page, but that is not the issue. The issue is that I cannot tell anything about a TNDL track except altitude and identity in the DCS F-16C. The two main issues for me is that I cannot see their callsign and I cannot see their aircraft type. This greatly diminishes situational awareness when flying in huge DCS missions with tonnes of different flights, and being unable to correlate radio calls when trying to build a picture based on the data provided by TNDL. The reason I brought up both the A-10C and the F/A-18C is because they both already have the ability to do this in DCS, so it is obviously not a DCS limitation, or a tech that ED does not have access to as these are both ED modules. I do not understand why ED has chosen for this not to be a feature in the DCS F-16C? The expanded data field is an essential feature of TNDL. The F-16CM-50 M4.2+ of the USAF and ANG circa 2007 had this capability, and it would display a lot more information in the expanded data field than what I've mentioned in this post, including stuff like loadout, fighter channel, etc.

• Like 3

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante