[4YA] WWII - Project Overlord - historically accurate DCS 1944 server

IRL most bird strike damage the wings, airframe or incapacitate the pilot (Cessnas and Pipers with plexiglass windshield)

I think a bird needs to be pretty big to stop the engine, I fly 2 planes with German propellers, with wood core and compsite material, they throw chickens to the propeller in their test tunnel, and the chicken just desintegrates , and propellers are undamaged.

Armor glass on fighters I dont think a bird would penetrate that (its made to stop bullets).

Airframe damage, yes its possible.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Bozon:

If there is no graphic representation of a bird strike, can we get some message? What I fear is that I’ll be hit by birds and not even realize why my engine died: was it ground fire? did I miss-handle it? did I hit a treetop?

Most bird strikes did not kill the engine - at least so it seems. This may be a clear case of survivors bias though, where the cases of dead engine did not return to report it… IDK.

That's likely true, I guess the biggest danger would be from a bird smashing the wind screen and fatally injuring the pilot. The feature is rough in DCS, but what is nice is that it potentially makes flying very low a bit more dangerous. Irl flying very low is a trade-off, while you are less visible, you are also way more vulnerable. Birds, AAA, and a motivated guy with a gun could all get you if you fly on the deck. So this should be a conscious decision, that you fly low when you have to and it makes sense, but not when you don't have to. 

Though this feature is apparently very rare in DCS, it won't be that you will hit birds all the time. 

• Like 2

vor 19 Minuten schrieb motoadve:

Armor glass on fighters I dont think a bird would penetrate that (its made to stop bullets).

Not really made to stop bullets, mostly frag. But yeah maybe it would hold. Guess it depends what bird also 😄

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have rolled out some statistics updates on the PO website.

First of all, pilot stats search. You can now track your own progress over the last 12 months. https://www.projectoverlord.co.uk/monthly-statistics/individual-pilot-statistics-search/

We have also built the first phase of our squadron stats page: https://www.projectoverlord.co.uk/stats/squadrons-monthly/

Enjoy!

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Am 12.8.2023 um 22:50 schrieb Sandman24:

Is there any chance to lift the texture requirements on this server?

No, unfortunately not. There are too many possible exploits and cheats which would be enabled too. At the moment we have to content ourself with the massive visual improvement of the Normandy 2 map, and with a tad of reshade if desired. 

I also don't think the mod makes it more realistic tbh, for the old map surely, but now I would not say so. It contains too many brown crop fields for Normandy.

Pity. With possible cheats, do you mean that someone would install custom textures so they can fight against a bright purple 109 over a white landscape? I doubt that many players will go that length. And if they do, let them score a few kills that way; their fun will wear off soon enough.

My take on it is that multiplayer DCS is not an olympic sport that needs to be monitored in detail. Different players come with vastly different PC specs and input equipment, so it will never be fully fair no matter what you do. Rather, I would try to offer an experience that is as realistic as possible; that's what most WWII simmers are looking for. And mods really can help a lot there: they exist for a reason.

Anyhow, just my two cents. Thanks for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...

MISSION REWORK FOR NORMANDY 2

Mission 30th June 1944

Complete rework of the mission to fit better to the Normandy 2 map:

- new airfield layout using historical German airfields

- new airfield layout of the Allied airfields in England, using mostly historical airfields

- new historical ground target at chosen locations to focus encounters

- trains and moving convoys as targets of opportunity

- reworked AAA

- AI fighter-bomber raids spawning at intervals to attack targets when population is low

- implemented new Mosquito liveries

- Changes to airfield AAA: Axis fields now use 37mm guns, British fields use 20mm

- included mission registration script into this mission

- Filled auxiliary tank of half the German slots (labelled with extra fuel or aux fuel in their group name.

OTHER CHANGES:

Mission 18th July 1944

- Bug fix for the point system (caused erroneous premature Allied wins) 

EWRS - Implemented a minimal detection altitude for the radar. If you fly on the deck, you won't get any nearest bandits callouts, but you will also not be visible for the enemy's radar.

Happy flying! 😃

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Does the server exclusively use the Normandy 2.0 map, or is Channel used sometimes?

I'm asking because I was thinking about using this current sale to finally get into DCS WWII, but Normandy 2.0 not being on much of a sale is putting me off again.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Server is Normandy 2 only. Also requires the WW2 Asset Pack.

On a different note, while researching archive material for overhauling one of our missions I came across something unusual, so I wrote about it:

https://www.projectoverlord.co.uk/documents/what-happened-to-hawker-typhoon-mn293/

Edited by Skewgear
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, I like flying on your server, I recommend it to my friends. I wanted to suggest a small thing that could make flying more interesting for some - maybe unlock the random failure setting (you just need to uncheck the left checkbox in the mission properties) - the point is that this setting cannot give any bonuses, it will only make life more difficult for those who it’s interesting - sometimes you want to add spice to the flight for yourself. By default, this setting is disabled for the user, that is, only those who are really interested in it, like me, will use it).

vor 56 Minuten schrieb Left:

Hello guys, I like flying on your server, I recommend it to my friends. I wanted to suggest a small thing that could make flying more interesting for some - maybe unlock the random failure setting (you just need to uncheck the left checkbox in the mission properties) - the point is that this setting cannot give any bonuses, it will only make life more difficult for those who it’s interesting - sometimes you want to add spice to the flight for yourself. By default, this setting is disabled for the user, that is, only those who are really interested in it, like me, will use it)

Thank you very much, and also thanks for the suggestion, we'll discuss this among the team 👍 

Currently there are already occasional random failures, simply the base-line levels which are present by default unless you specifically remove them ine by one. They are quute rare though. 

• Like 1

51 минуту назад, Night Owl сказал:

Thank you very much, and also thanks for the suggestion, we'll discuss this among the team 👍 

Currently there are already occasional random failures, simply the base-line levels which are present by default unless you specifically remove them ine by one. They are quute rare though. 

Thanks for the quick response 👍, the fact is that if you open the server track file in the mission editor, you can see that a checkbox is selected in the server mission settings, and failures are disabled (the right checkbox shows this), I mean if you uncheck the left checkbox on this setting , the user himself will be able to choose the required failure, probability, time, etc. - this is very interesting for experiments, and does not provide bonuses in battle. It would be great to be able to choose for yourself. If something fails now, it’s most likely a DCS bug). Thank you for your work (server) 👍.

Am 25.10.2023 um 19:49 schrieb Left:

Thanks for the quick response 👍, the fact is that if you open the server track file in the mission editor, you can see that a checkbox is selected in the server mission settings, and failures are disabled (the right checkbox shows this), I mean if you uncheck the left checkbox on this setting , the user himself will be able to choose the required failure, probability, time, etc. - this is very interesting for experiments, and does not provide bonuses in battle. It would be great to be able to choose for yourself. If something fails now, it’s most likely a DCS bug). 

Yes, I understand, we indeed have the random failures option off. However, what I meant is that there are a default base line level if random failures anyways which are not controlled by that checkbox, those we have left in the missions. They do occur, but are quite rare. What the checkbox does is make them more frequent. It's not very logical I know, but that's how the failures system works 😆

Anyhow, I personally find your idea good, as it will be left to the player's choice. We just need to discuss it in the team first before I can comfirm anything 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, motoadve said:

Couple of days ago , first flight after 2.9, my 109 engine just quit at cruise at 2,000 meters with no explanation, I was just cruising at 1.3 ata, it quit, I assume random failure? (rpms were on auto)

Check all your CB's, make sure that the MW50 switch is off, even if you don't have MW50 equipped.

• 3 weeks later...

We have introduced three new historical navigation beacons across the Normandy map for use by player Mosquito crews.

The old Ste Croix and Needs Oar Point beacons have therefore been decommissioned with immediate effect.

The new beacons are marked on the F10 map in all missions; a sample is shown below. The beacon details are as follows:

Bernay Elektra-Sonne BL -... .-.. 307kc/s

Whitlands (Lyme Regis) RDF D -.. 3.8Mc/s

Haine (Manston) RDF F ..-. 3.6Mc/s

All missions have had minor performance improvements (removal of unused elements such as redundant triggers and trigger zones) made.

24th June 1944 v5.3.5 has also had the new PO warehousing system rolled out. This includes supply convoys driving to and from selected airfields. (Yes, you can destroy these convoys and cut off the airfield supplies!)

Player count remains capped at 45 on the PO server as a temporary measure, hopefully until ED publishes a fix for the current multiplayer server performance problems.

See you in the skies!

The Project Overlord Team

https://www.projectoverlord.co.uk/documents/mission-update-radio-navigation-beacons/

manston_beacon.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slippa said:

Are there any plans to add any to your training server?

Good idea! Yes, in due course - it's due for a couple of tweaks now it's been running Normandy for a while.

• Like 1