Running dedicated server on Linux using wine

On 8/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, BitMaster said:

Those keys tend to get deactivated after some time, got one myself… the proper keys don’t but it ain’t cheap to have peace of mind 

Just curious , how long did it take for the keys to stop working ?  and which place did u buy it from ?

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb HC_Official:

Just curious , how long did it take for the keys to stop working ?  and which place did u buy it from ?

Took about two or three years and suddenly my Srv 2016 got deactivated. Got them on eBay years ago and they worked at first, one is still activated but I don’t trust it for the future.

license was about 30-50€ per server and 50€ for a 200-User CAL. Lol

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

1 hour ago, BitMaster said:

Took about two or three years and suddenly my Srv 2016 got deactivated. Got them on eBay years ago and they worked at first, one is still activated but I don’t trust it for the future.

license was about 30-50€ per server and 50€ for a 200-User CAL. Lol

Ah ok, ebay , that explains it then. I bought a server 2022 standard license ... 50 euro for 200 user-CAL is indeed lol time

I have been using companies that have been in business for years selling software, would never use ebay for stuff like this

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently running a wine-based DCS server on Linode but it's mainly for me and whoever wants to fly with me so nothing heavy 🙂 I'm using Ubuntu 22.04.3 and wine-8.0.2. I'm using following overrides: WINEDLLOVERRIDES='wbemprox=n;riched20=n' and everything seems to be working fine (apart from the usual - I think - dcs crashes).

19 hours ago, Blazkovitch said:

I'm currently running a wine-based DCS server on Linode but it's mainly for me and whoever wants to fly with me so nothing heavy 🙂 I'm using Ubuntu 22.04.3 and wine-8.0.2. I'm using following overrides: WINEDLLOVERRIDES='wbemprox=n;riched20=n' and everything seems to be working fine (apart from the usual - I think - dcs crashes).

We have 4 different server instances running 24/7 on the same Windows server 2019 machine, none of them has crashed since months.

• Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Well then..  maybe Wine is not perfect for a 24/7 server... although I've seen too many DCS restart scripts to be 100% sure 😛 But seriously: my VM is rather small - 8GB of RAM - and the server is only restarted when DCS or Linux must be patched. The crashes are not often (haven't seen them recently) but I'm not monitoring the process in any meaningful way.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 23.8.2023 um 12:54 schrieb Maverick87Shaka:

We have 4 different server instances running 24/7 on the same Windows server 2019 machine, none of them has crashed since months.

That's a good reference to start with and actually the way it should be.

Keep it simple, keep it sleek and only change 1 thing at a time.

I can't complain about Windows Server stability as well, never could tbh, just the price tag is hard to swallow for hobby use.

Maybe in the distant future we will see a native Linux based DCS core...it's hard to imagine not to go that route some point in time.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 9:14 PM, Good Ol 73 said:

How about a Docker container for a DCS sever?

Edit: Someone already made one… https://github.com/Aterfax/DCS-World-Dedicated-Server-Docker

Greetings, I have developed this container (and related ones). If people have requests please let me know on the GitHub pages as an issue or in a discussion.

At present the DCS Dedicated server docker seems to work well and I should shortly be releasing an update that allows people to use it with DCSServerbot - https://github.com/Special-K-s-Flightsim-Bots/DCSServerBot

The server docker is probably also well complimented by the Sneaker webGCI docker - https://github.com/Aterfax/sneaker and/or the Sneaklardooon docker (which wraps Sneaker with Lardoon and Jambon to provide a web accessible Tacview recording repository.) https://github.com/Aterfax/docker-Sneaklardooon

Edit: If a mod / ED Staff member wanted to pin a post with the above dockers in the "Multiplayer Server Administration" forum section I'd be much obliged.

Edited by aterfax
  • Like 2