Unrecoverable Spin

docehrenhoefer
Go to solution Solved by JesseJames38,

• Solution

If you used rudder trim,  the most likely reason is coming into a hover your rudder peddles center is set to the trim position.  And this will cause you a loss of axis movement in the other direction with the peddles.     You can try re trimming often when coming in for a hover.  Or what I have done is select the trim down button to trim reset key that to reset the center of your rudder peddles to the center of the axis for the anti torque rotor

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, docehrenhoefer said:

Just a NOOB-question… sometimes, during transition to a hover while landing, the Apache starts to Spin and I do not manage to recover to stable flight. What am I doing wrong, and is there a possibility to recover? THX for your help…

Do you have physical rudder? If yes what kind? You normally use correction just rudder in this situation, firmly but with a gentle movement.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

27 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Do you have physical rudder? If yes what kind? You normally use correction just rudder in this situation, firmly but with a gentle movement.

Yes, I have a MFS Crosswind with Dampeners. These should not be the problem as they are normally working flawless. More something I am doing wrong.

42 minutes ago, docehrenhoefer said:

Yes, I have a MFS Crosswind with Dampeners. These should not be the problem as they are normally working flawless. More something I am doing wrong.

MFS? MFG I think :). Its a good rudder, you can safely act on them. 🙂 Practice makes perfect. For me AH-64D is very stable, certainly easier than that Hind or Hip in DCS.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Is the ‘unrecoverable spin’ to the right? If so it means you saturated the SAS .  Basically you increased the collective too rapidly. This created so much torque that the rudder cannot compensate.

The stability augmentation system provides some limited amount of anti torque.

the pedals can only produce a certain amount of acceleration to the left. When you add collective you can easily exceed what the SAS and manual left boot can provide.

gradual inputs allow the systems to keep up. It is analogous to trying to trim big changes vs little changes. If I want to trim for 90 knots, I can push the cyclic waaay forward and hit the trim button once. Or I can hit the trim button multiple times,each time pushing the cyclic forward a little bit, trimmming and resetting the cyclic. With little changes I can trim for high speeds even if the cyclic has a small range.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal