External radio calls in Tomcat are extremely quiet, not sure if user error or bug?

Istari6

Been flying the Tomcat many hours at this point, and I'm continuing to struggle with hearing external radio calls (e.g. ATC, AWACS).  My pilot or RIO sound fine making outbound calls, but the responses are so quiet as to be almost unusable. 

I've checked Audio settings in DCS, and all sliders are at 100% (except for Music).  I've also tried turning up the Vol knob on the ARC-182 radio inside the cockpit (which I use for these communications), and while they are a little louder, still very hard to hear the details.  

I haven't had this problem in other DCS aircraft, is there anything else to adjust in the Tomcat to hear incoming messages better?

Would be nice to have separate audio options for modules, or have the cockpit sounds toned down. I need cockpit sounds high for other modules to sound decent, so constantly adjusting audio settings when bouncing between the Tomcat and other modules is a pain in the butt.

I'm using Hear Like in Helmet, but other radio calls are really quiet.  It's strange, since Jester is super loud, and my own "outgoing" radio voice is normal.  I've turned on Subtitles to make out what they're saying, but would prefer the immersion without subtitles.  

As a pilot you can regulate -159 radio volume and ICS (ground/Jester). -182 is RIO's radio.

edit: ...but since the pilot can also use -182 radio he controls volume with the knob #3: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#volume-tacan-command-panel

Also check to have headphones source device the same as main audio in the options.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thanks.  I tried checking the headphones source device same as the main audio, but still no fix.  I'm using the subtitles for now, but it's strange.  Don't have this problem with Harrier or Sabre, the other two modules I've flown recently.  

Solution that worked for me is turning down In Cockpit Noise.  I've never had to adjust that before, but it does seem that F-14 baseline is super loud, even when "Hear in Helmet" selected.  With In Cockpit Noise turned down to ~60-70%, I can more easily make out the radio calls.  

4 hours ago, Istari6 said:

Solution that worked for me is turning down In Cockpit Noise.  I've never had to adjust that before, but it does seem that F-14 baseline is super loud, even when "Hear in Helmet" selected.  With In Cockpit Noise turned down to ~60-70%, I can more easily make out the radio calls.  

I don't have the problem you mention, but I have to check my "cockpit sounds" setting. I always use "hear like in helmet" option and all sound goes through my headphones.

Forgot to mention that the pilot also controls volume from -182 radio with the knob #3:

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#volume-tacan-command-panel

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Ground crew comms seem to be the lowest. "Hear like in helmet" on/off while in-mission doesn't change anything. I have "in-cockpit" as low as 40% with "helmet" at 100% and can still barely hear radio with pilot UHF volume knob max.