DCS VR perfomance on lower spec PC.

Go to solution Solved by edmuss,

35 minutes ago, lev-kusanagi said:

oh not at all. i added some context to my previous post

I’m just pointing out that the huge company that’s dumping billions into VR isn’t doing it for gaming. But some may all trickle down to that. 
The trouble with VR gaming will always be that it’s easier to run anything in 2D vs 3D, Moore’s Law or not. If the performance target of any game is focused on 2D then 3D isn’t going to keep up no matter how powerful any system gets. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I’m just pointing out that the huge company that’s dumping billions into VR isn’t doing it for gaming. But some may all trickle down to that. 
The trouble with VR gaming will always be that it’s easier to run anything in 2D vs 3D, Moore’s Law or not. If the performance target of any game is focused on 2D then 3D isn’t going to keep up no matter how powerful any system gets. 

pong is optimized for 2D. Do you think it's an issue to run it in VR? now look at that graph again and extrapolate double exponentially. also why are you telling this guy who is trying to get his VR to work that the solution is to not use VR and that it is hopeless? bit weird, dont you think?

Edited by lev-kusanagi

5 minutes ago, lev-kusanagi said:

pong is optimized for 2D. Do you think it's an issue to run it in VR? now look at that graph again and extrapolate double exponentially. also why are you telling this guy who is trying to get his VR to work that the solution is to not use VR and that it is hopeless? bit weird, dont you think?

Again, for the foreseeable reality it’s going to be less costly performance wise to run a game in 2D rather than 3D it doesn’t matter how powerful chips get because games will continue to become more demanding as well. Unless you like pong VR. Yeah my advice for DCS would be to not run it in VR. It’s currently a boondoggle and will be for many years to come if it ever works at all. The strongest machines money can buy are crippled trying to run it let alone a “low spec” the OP is posting about. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

39 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Again, for the foreseeable reality it’s going to be less costly performance wise to run a game in 2D rather than 3D it doesn’t matter how powerful chips get because games will continue to become more demanding as well. Unless you like pong VR. Yeah my advice for DCS would be to not run it in VR. It’s currently a boondoggle and will be for many years to come if it ever works at all. The strongest machines money can buy are crippled trying to run it let alone a “low spec” the OP is posting about. 

i think it's very weird to talk about things you don't understand

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lev-kusanagi said:

i think it's very weird to talk about things you don't understand

Yeah I guess that’s the response when you don’t have an answer… 

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Yeah I guess that’s the response when you don’t have an answer… 

No, it's a very polite way of telling you that you're lost in a subforum for hardware you don't use.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

29 minutes ago, draconus said:

No, it's a very polite way of telling you that you're lost in a subforum for hardware you don't use.

I have used VR. Just not for gaming, because it doesn’t work very well here…

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I have used VR. Just not for gaming, because it doesn’t work very well here…

It works great in DCS. That's why most users stay with it despite its limitations.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

22 minutes ago, draconus said:

It works great in DCS. That's why most users stay with it despite its limitations.

That’s not the impression I get here. Just look at the OP

Edited by SharpeXB

15 hours ago, draconus said:

thank you, this was indeed my intention. additionally i think this person is making really ignorant comments in very absolute terms and being totally unhelpful to the OP trying to solve his VR issue. VR gaming is no magically insurmountable computational problem. The hardware is here, many titles work beautifully in VR already (I recommend iRacing) and we just need algorithmic improvements on badly implemented titles like DCS. Making such categorical uninformed claims (especially laughable when going so far as to questioning  "if it ever works at all") is just trolling and should not be engaged with.

Eagle Dynamics: Fix single thread bottlenecks, refactor inefficient code, it will grow your market not only because of the coming VR wave but also because the highest expression of DCS's potential, a multi-modal combat with dozens of players in air, ground, CAP, strike roles in a game with interplay between strategy, tactics and combat skill, cannot work as currently implemented with a single thread process, as we all know from the massive warping and desync observed in big servers.

Trolls: Save some money and buy a fast computer an a reverb G2

Edited by lev-kusanagi
  • Like 1

I have a reverb G2, all parameters are set the max except MSAA at 2X2 and the only issue I have in 2.8 are some black flickers in the Reverb G2 if I use the back mirrors.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1