Question about Nav Fix (recent Wags video)

twistking

Sorry, they can come up with a cooperative position (normal operation) or the system can elect to choose to weight one at 100% and the other 0% in the blend. I was just explaining the difference between INS/GPS and EGI as at what point in the process from raw data to system solution they are integrated.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2022 at 4:42 PM, RPY Variable said:

Just going to leave this here. Just 20 seconds... 

So, that was in May 1981 with f-16A's if my Wikipedia sleuthing is accurate. My assumption based on the way he said it and my limited knowledge of the f16 and GPS would be that the flight was done with INS only. 10 feet of drift is pretty dang good for an 8 hour flight. 

I don't know if DCS simulates this, but it is my understanding that INS systems drift worse the more maneuvering the aircraft does. For their flight, I assume they did as little as possible. Takeoff, Climb to altitude and turn on course. Then mostly straight line all the way to Hawaii. That would be ideal INS conditions. That said, My limited experience with no GPS in DCS, the planes seem to have terrible INS drift. 

I'm here because I'm diving into the INS to learn about inflight alignment in the F-16. I need to go test how accurate that can be in a GPS denied environment. And how much Fix Taking can improve an inflight align. Then how fast it drifts, with minimal maneuvering and how bad it drifts with lots of maneuvering.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread for the following question Twistking asks.  I have the same question here in 2023 as I'm trying to learn the Viper:

"With the video about A-Cal now being up, i wonder what purpose Fix has anyhow. A-Cal seems to be able to do position fixes AND altitude fixes seperately or at the same time.
Why is FIX needed in the first place when you have A-Cal. What am i missing?"

I've learned INS Fixes and have that working well.  Then I moved onto A-CAL and find that you can set it to BOTH (Altitude and Position).  Given this, why isn't the default for the Viper to just do an A-CAL/Both and be done with it? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Istari6 said:

Previous to 1994 I believe is the cutoff for GPS.  

This ☝️

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg