RAF Mount Pleasant - WSAs

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

I've noticed 2 issues with the weapon storage areas at RAF Mount Pleasant - one is more minor and cosmetic, the other is more major and does have an impact on actual gameplay.

Starting with the latter, very few structures are actually configured as ammunition warehouses for the airbase, compared to the number of shelters/warehouses/bunkers actually present. The much smaller eastern site fairs better, which has 4 out of the 6 bunkers configured as ammunition warehouses (there should be a seventh, but it's not present on the map).

However, the much larger western site has none of its storage shelters/warehouses configured as ammunition warehouses - instead only 3 small houses are configured:

NssDttc.png

This means that a single aircraft (say an F/A-18C with 4 JSOWS - half the number it can carry in DCS), can destroy 43% of the ammunition supplies, without taking out any of the hardened shelters, or indeed any of the RL storage shelters.

Secondly (and while this is more minor it would have more of an impact if the WSAs were correctly configured), the western site features no revetments, whereas the eastern site does (and having the right layout):

R61fJgy.png

Camera position: -camera 74.314641 0.330789 44.788055 -cameradir 0.349447 -0.249392 0.903156

Here's a picture of the real place in Google Earth, revetments are clearly visible:

qemWOoA.jpg

Both sites are otherwise pretty much bang on with object placement, object types and layout, with only a few minor errors (eastern site is missing a bunker, textures are a bit off, there are some objects where there shouldn't be any).

Spoiler

And before anyone says anything about sensitive, classified or whatever information - RAZBAM have already modelled both sites fairly accurately, including an accurate perimeter fence which is largely in the right place. RAZBAM have also already marked both as ammunition storage areas. Besides, you only have to visit this publicly available website to see what everything is - Google Earth (and indeed the South Atlantic map itself) does the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

We have no access to information on what each building function is so it was a best guess.  the mounded buildings made sense to maybe be munitions.  unless you have any other information we can use that is publicly available 

• Like 1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

9 hours ago, Raz_Specter said:

We have no access to information on what each building function is so it was a best guess.  the mounded buildings made sense to maybe be munitions.  unless you have any other information we can use that is publicly available 

Fairly confident the white buildings which are reveted are ammunition shelters.

It's a little more tricky as it's not as obvious compared to more common NATO WSAs, which are more clearly bunkers. The smaller buildings? Not so sure. However, the current buildings configured as ammunition warehouses are small houses.

According to wikimapia (which isn't cited, but is public) the area is a weapon storage area.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

Just knowing how RAF bases are laid out generally, these are munition stores. The buildings are seperated by distance so if one building goes boom, it doesn't take the rest of them with it.

There may be other stuff there too, but for DCS purposes, treat it as munitions.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 2

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 months later...

So all the buildings in that area are ammo stores?

• Like 1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

1 hour ago, Raz_Specter said:

So all the buildings in that area are ammo stores?

I'm fairly confident that at least the revetted buildings are ammunition storage, if not all of the white warehouse-like buildings, as well as all the bunkers on the adjacent eastern site.

Unfortunately, the only source I can provide is open source mapping, which lists both areas as "ordnance magazines".

System: