Offset Aimpoint OA1/2 incorrect logic - opposite logic applied.

AvroLanc

The recently 'fixed' Offset aimpoint logic is still not working correctly I'm afraid.

The OA logic was recently fixed to now always provide CCRP steering (and TD box SPI) to the target Steerpoint rather than the Offset location. Which is correct...thankyou...

....however any slews you make to the OA1 point now don't behave right. The expected behaviour is that any radar slews you make in OA1 will have a matching and corresponding slew movement to the Steerpoint (i.e TD box/target) location. This is the very essence of offset bombing and the very reason for the OA1/2 feature.

What happens instead is that the selected Steerpoint remains fixed in location and the slew you make now defines NEW offset location data in the DEST page. This is obviously completely opposite of what should be happening - the OFFSET data should be fixed and the slew should move/define the new target location.

In my test the offset is at the tip of the island, the target is SP1. From measuring in the ME, the offset is at a distance of 20142ft and 222M from the planned target. You can see that when I slew over the desired island tip, those OA figures are updated when they shouldn't be - but the Steerpoint refuses to move.... (I've purposely set the Steerpoint away from the true target in the ME, to simulate INS drift and the actual need for radar correction).

(Also, I believe the OA data should be in degrees TRUE, but the system is working in MAGNETIC, but that doesn't affect the above behaviour is just an observation.)  

Thanks.

F16 OA Bug.trk

Edited by AvroLanc
  • Like 1

Yeah, not how this works at all. OAP and TGT are a fixed relationship. Slewing one slews them all by the same amount. CZ is collapsing OAP-TGT distance to zero which shouldn't happen. CZ disappears from FCR/TGP page when OAP is sighting point which shouldn't happen. OA2 is in rotary when it's RNG is 0 FT which shouldn't happen. Only RNG > 0 should be in sighting rotary.

• Like 1