Ka-50 and Fly by Wire systems

Esac_mirmidon

Hi to all.

I have a question about flight control systems in the Ka-50. I suppose that the 50´s don´t have a FBW system but i need some clarification about that. Is the Ka-50 a FBW helicopter?

This is because i barely cant find the difference between a FBW and the "dampers" in the Ka-50. A FBW, roughly explained, flies the aircraft instead of the direct control by the pilot. The pilot makes inputs or control demands with the flight controls and the FBW system read this inputs and electronically translate it over the flying surfaces.

In the Ka-50, with the three channel stabilization system on, is very similar. The pilot made his inputs in the cyclic and the autopilot system translate this inputs into a more soft, dampered movements using the computers complex to do so.

Could someone extends about that? If the Ka-50 is not a FBW one ( i think so ) what is the main difference between FBW and the auto flight control system of the Kamov?

Thanks.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

In a FBW system, the controls in the cockpit are not mechanically linked to the control surfaces. All inputs to the controls go to a controlling computer, which interprets and translates and send signals to the control surfaces.

The Ka-50's flight controls are directly (mechanically) linked to the servos that control the rotors, so it it absolutely not FBW. The autopilot is ALSO connected to the servos, but only has 20% authority. In an FBW system, the computer has 100% authority, as there is no mechanical connection from the flight controls to the servos/control surfaces.

• Like 1

In FBW system you have a "negotiating" computer between the flight controls in the cockpit and the control surfaces/rods. This cimputer has full authority over the aircraft. In Ka-50 there is mechanical linkage from the controls to the servo actuators with full (manual) authority. The AP input works together with the pilot's input but it's given 20% authority (read operation range of the actuator).

Again, 1 min slower :D

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Thanks mates. Maybe both of you could link together into the "Dobble A Team " A-irtito and A-lphaoneSix. Masters in mastering. XDDD

Now is very clear.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

And I can say from experience that I really, really don't like ever flying with the 64's FBW system engaged. She'll fly, don't get me wrong, but now you're not so much flying as you're manhandling 18,000 lbs of freaking metal. Good times, good times.

Brad

Brad,

Is it optional for you guys operationally? The only FBW experience I have is with the A320 and it was completely verboten to turn any FCCs off unless things go awry--really awry.

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

I'll keep my mouth shut when it comes to the Apache. I only know in what direction it's rotor is spinning :)

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=