Maybe a bit of an odd question, but here goes...

I own all modules in DCS including both A-10C's and of course the A-10 from Flaming Cliffs. I wanted to purchase the A-10 C/ CII campaign, as I've seen good reviews of it, including the Syrian campaign also with the F-18, but I'm not sure my system can handle that Syria map without hiccups.

However I have a little question. Given the fact that the F-16 Viper is a multi-role aircraft which can pretty much do everything the A-10 does except the 'gun-work', I was wondering if I could substitute the A-10C with the Viper and re-save your missions as tracks, edit them for personal use in the mission editor and swap the A-10C with the Viper to create a personal campaign.

I have done the same for example for Operation Dixmuide, which is a campaign that comes with the Gazelle and switched it out for the Hind, since it is more aptly suited for those missions.

Could you shed some light on that please?

I will get into the 'hog in the future, but I'm really hooked to the viper.

48 minutes ago, dertien said:

... I was wondering if I could substitute the A-10C with the Viper and re-save your missions as tracks, edit them for personal use in the mission editor and swap the A-10C with the Viper to create a personal campaign.

No, you can't do that as the payware Campaigns have most of their inner workings encrypted for copu protection, so they can't really be modified by the user.

48 minutes ago, dertien said:

I have done the same for example for Operation Dixmuide, which is a campaign that comes with the Gazelle and switched it out for the Hind

campaigns included with official Modules are not encrypted, so you can modify them as you need.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No I'm afraid it won't work, like the others said the files are encrypted so there's very little you can alter in the editor.  That said you are still able to change the player aircraft I think, you just can't save the file.  But even then the missions won't work, a lot of the triggers are specific to each aircraft so the missions will break very quickly.

Hello all of you,

Thank you for pointing that out. Indeed I was able to set a few parameters in the missions in Operation Dixmuide like:

- Time of day (from night to early morning)
- player aircraft (Gazelle to Hind)  - Love the Gazelle, but waiting for update in flight model, and will play this campaign again in the Bo-105 when that chopper enters early access)
- Decrease number of enemy ground units (mainly for FPS reasons)
- Changing weather: More challenging weather envelope.

And resaving those missions to make a custom campaign.

I was not aware that the same method would not work with the stand alone campaigns.

- MAD did this by giving the player the choice between flying either the Gazelle or the Huey.

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, you can't do that as the payware Campaigns have most of their inner workings encrypted for copu protection, so they can't really be modified by the user.

campaigns included with official Modules are not encrypted, so you can modify them as you need.

16 hours ago, ChillNG said:

No I'm afraid it won't work, like the others said the files are encrypted so there's very little you can alter in the editor.  That said you are still able to change the player aircraft I think, you just can't save the file.  But even then the missions won't work, a lot of the triggers are specific to each aircraft so the missions will break very quickly.

I was indeed able to play one of the MAD missions with the Hind, but you need to do this directly in the editor. It's fine for me, since I can have my cake and eat it. However in a dynamic sort of campaign like yours, this would indeed not work.

If you would tinker and release this campaign for the F-16, I would buy it. Simply because there doesn't seem to be that much love for this bird in comparison to the F-18.

Anyways, thank you for your response and have a good weekend.

Edited by dertien

55 minutes ago, dertien said:

Simply because there doesn't seem to be that much love for this bird in comparison to the F-18.

I don’t think  its a matter of love, rather the F-16 reached maturity only about a year ago and creating campaigns takes time, there should be mor campaigns for it soon, probably the one for the Kola map will be first.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, dertien said:

I own all modules in DCS including both A-10C's and of course the A-10 from Flaming Cliffs. I wanted to purchase the A-10 C/ CII campaign, as I've seen good reviews of it, including the Syrian campaign also with the F-18, but I'm not sure my system can handle that Syria map without hiccups.

However I have a little question. Given the fact that the F-16 Viper is a multi-role aircraft which can pretty much do everything the A-10 does except the 'gun-work', I was wondering if I could substitute the A-10C with the Viper and re-save your missions as tracks, edit them for personal use in the mission editor and swap the A-10C with the Viper to create a personal campaign.

I have done the same for example for Operation Dixmuide, which is a campaign that comes with the Gazelle and switched it out for the Hind, since it is more aptly suited for those missions.

Could you shed some light on that please?

I will get into the 'hog in the future, but I'm really hooked to the viper. Drift Boss

While the F-16 Viper is indeed a multi-role aircraft and can perform many of the same tasks as the A-10C, there are some significant differences between the two aircraft in terms of capabilities and mission profiles.