profile for warthog hotas

s3445217

To add to what was already said, DCS has (by far!) the best key and axis binding setup in a sim, IMHO. MS FS2020, IL2 BoX, the other IL2.....they're all MUCH less flexible and less intuitive. DCS even breaks it down to 'Stick' and 'Throttle' options, once you've bound the obvious axes, just open up those tabs and bind what would be on the stick and throttle in reality. Then you can expand on that as you learn the module. Plus, to refamiliarise yourself with a module after a break, you just open up the control setup, and start pressing buttons - it immediately shows you what that button does. And it's so much quicker to remember if you made the setup yourself, plus you can be consistant across modules.

The only disaster comes when some screw up somewhere, or more likely a change, deletes ALL your bindings, for every module. That's a pain. And I've yet to figure out how to save ALL of them at once. I've been simming since the days of the ZX Spectrum (lol, if Flight and 'Fighter pilot' could be said to be 'simming') and trying to use other peoples control bindings is just painful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ARM505 said:

To add to what was already said, DCS has (by far!) the best key and axis binding setup in a sim, IMHO.

Agree, it is the best sim in that aspect. Even so, I still prefer to do the bindings on my Hotas’ software, as it can do things that are impossible on DCS, like binding one command to a button press, and another to the button release; or place commands within a Hotas axis travel (for fingerlifts and the like); or assign two commands to a single button press (like lifting a cover and pressing the trigger below)

The only disaster comes when some screw up somewhere, or more likely a change, deletes ALL your bindings, for every module. That's a pain. And I've yet to figure out how to save ALL of them at once.

I used to backup the whole /saved games/dcs/config/input/ folder, but nowadays it’s better to place it on a cloud drive and place a symlink on its place.

… trying to use other peoples control bindings is just painful.

Agree, it’s always better to bind things yourself, as it makes them much easier to remember. 👍

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, I use the controls software to do things the sim can't as well, as you say - I thought that might be a bit much for the OP, but actually brings up a valid point, specifically that another persons control bindings also won't work properly if they have done things as you said (buttons to axes, commands to press and release etc.) and they just copy the control .lua over, as there will be bound commands that simply do not exist on his setup.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, felixx75 said:

Why don't you bind your hotas yourself (it's a serious question)? You would also learn the keybindings faster yourself.

Probably because a settled methodology may have been found to be closer to the real setup than whatever you tried, even if it benefitted you to learn to keybind through this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, exhausted said:

Probably because a settled methodology may have been found to be closer to the real setup than whatever you tried, even if it benefitted you to learn to keybind through this.

There is nothing really stopping anyone from simply looking up a diagram of a real-life aircraft's stick and throttle as a guide. One doesn't need to rely entirely on others for this process and thus waste a lot of their own time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, statrekmike said:

There is nothing really stopping anyone from simply looking up a diagram of a real-life aircraft's stick and throttle as a guide. One doesn't need to rely entirely on others for this process and thus waste a lot of their own time.

Nobody's time is being wasted. 

• Like 2