Pimax 8K user feedback please

markturner1960

Hi, thinking of changing my headset, what’s the thoughts on the 8K - only really interested in performance, clarity and FOV as opposed to value for money……..

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

34 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi, thinking of changing my headset, what’s the thoughts on the 8K - only really interested in performance, clarity and FOV as opposed to value for money……..

Not speaking from direct experience but...

For clarity I would suggest the aero but FOV is similar to the G2 I think.

For FOV I believe the pimax is technically highest but stretching the pixels over all that FOV results in a reduction of clarity.

Performance wise, I don't think they're really going to be any better than the G2. It's the computer itself that gives the performance, if you want it faster you have to downgrade the number of pixels you're pushing.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Interesting...thanks....

As usuual then, GPU / CPU hardware still playing catch up to the VR hardware as its released.....

Essentially, the GPU / CPU hardware is still not up to getting the best out of the VR hardware we currently have let alone the yet to be released stuff.....

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Interesting...thanks....

As usuual then, GPU / CPU hardware still playing catch up to the VR hardware as its released.....

Essentially, the GPU / CPU hardware is still not up to getting the best out of the VR hardware we currently have let alone the yet to be released stuff.....

I wouldn't say that's necessarily the case, for 99% of titles current hardware is more than enough. Using DCS as a benchmark isn't an accurate indicator because the software simply isn't written from the ground up for VR.

As and when the new engine is implemented, I would expect a step change in VR performance (some of which might get swallowed up by new bells and whistles) that will likely make a significant difference.

That said current top end hardware is quite capable of running DCS VR at high settings when properly tuned.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I like mine very much but I have had zero experience with any other VR headset.  What sold me son the PiMax this spring (over the Varjo Aero) was the availability and trade in program.  About the time I had my system built was the same week the OpenXr Pimax tool came out so I have ran it from day one.  I have had no complaints and up until late last week the only issues were minor and just time fine tuning settings to my eyes.  

In regards to the issues last week I installed several mods and caused massive FPS drop and horrible stuttering.  I was extremely busy this weekend and couldn't address it but this morning before heading to work I ran "REPAIR" in the Skatezilla DCS Updater Utility (an absolute must) so I'm interested if that resolves the issues I created with the mods.

I am running a top line system with a 3090 24GB BTW.

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Hello.8kx user here.I love mine,FOV is a Game Changer IMHO.I find Performance and Clarity very good as well.I do need to zoom in on some of the smaller steam gauges but I believe that's the case with most Headsets,

Looking at your system specs...I would say you'd be able to have a great experience with a 8kx.

Also...depending where you buy from you'd be eligible for full price credit towards a 12kx when it comes out using The Pimax trade in Program ,

13 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

er IMHO

Patrick

mini.gif

42 minutes ago, Ben Diss said:

I fought hard and eventually was issued a refund. I had three different tech issues. Support is very poor and ultimately couldn't solve my problem. I ponied up for a Varjo Aero and couldn't be happier.

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Performance is outstanding with my 8k+.  As far as clarity I can read pretty much everything in the modules I own.  The 8k+ has a refresh rate of 72hz making it very easy to achieve higher than 72 FPS to have the smoothest experience.  I can even supersample to 150% and avoid using MSAA.  The 8kX also has the option to use upscale or not in order to provide more performance, I only have the upscale option on the 8k+.   The 8kX has also better panels with virtually no SDE.  Achieving higher FPS than your HMD's refresh rate coupled with a wide field of view while avoiding motion re-projection makes all the difference in immersion level.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Thanks for the feedback......

I can share my thoughts on the video.

-I never had a problem with the"eye offset" issue he was speaking of.I did have a issue with Win 11 HAGS.

-The standard headphones in the headset Are infact Terrible

-I don't have any of the controllers so can't comment on that

• Thanks 1

Patrick

mini.gif

On 9/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, Phantom88 said:

-I never had a problem with the"eye offset" issue he was speaking of.

Same here, I never experience nausea or eye strain like what they mentioned.  I did get dizzy in the first few times but that went away quickly.

I found the KDMAS not so bad.  Maybe it's because I use it only for comms, my main sound comes from a 5.1 speakers setup.

As far as controllers, I use refurbished htc vive which are much cheaper... and work fine.

The review is pretty harsh on setup, I did not face that kind of issues.  I was pretty much plug and play.  Maybe it all depends on what you play.

One thing absolutely right : Going back to tunnel vision is not an option once you experience the level of immersion from wide FOV!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I had the 5K XR - OLED version, and whereas it was excellent with wide FoV and great colours, the SDE and resolution did bother me.

I upgraded to the 8K X and honestly all the boxes were ticked. Obviously the higher resolution means it does impact FPS at the same settings, and it's colours aren't as rich as the OLED screens in the XR (I now use Open XR which improves FPS and use the filters to get colour depth pretty much the same - saturation & contrast up, Exposure down a bit) but with even wider FoV, no SDE, resolution pretty much perfect, I can honestly say it is ideal. I was planning on buying the 12K but when I get my 4090, and when multi-core and vulkan come along if I can turn pixel density / anti-aliasing up more (pixel density currently 1.0, MFAA & SSAA both at half), and turn the last couple of settings to max (I'm almost there now, only really missing ambient occlusion and I have forest details down low, grass off) then I'm actually thinking how much better does it need to be? 

OK the 12K will have even wider FoV but out of a pilot's helmet they can't even see that wide IRL, and ok resolution will be even higher - but it is spot on as it is.....I wonder if it is worth putting that extra pressure on performance for gains I don't feel the need for.

I get between 35 (MP on supercarrier, Syria low down etc) & 75 FPS (pretty much any time I am up any altitude and is the max on the version of headset I have) with full FoV and no foveated rendering and I can honestly say it is an amazing experience. As long as you have the system to power it, IMHO you won't be disappointed in the 8K X. Make sure and get the fibre optical cable to maximise throughput.

Edited by Simultaneous
  • Thanks 1

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.