Setup for VIRPIL Interceptors

galthepal

Hi All,

Got my VIRPIL Interceptors in today and got them up and ready. I noticed after the actual physical install of putting them together, there's nothing guiding on how to use the software or really how to set them up with DCS. Is there anyone who'd mind sharing there settings for their Interceptors (including DCS bindings if possible)?

So far I binded Rudder to axis and did wheel brake left to left toe and vice versa. Not sure if this is all it's supposed to be but it doesn't feel very impactful.

Edited by galthepal

Need to calibrate in Virpil software I would think.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wasn't experiencing a problem per se, I just wasn't sure initially how to set them up since there weren't directions included. While I did setup using the bindings I mentioned in my post, I didn't know how to measure or test since I'm new to DCS/Flight Sims and I've never used rudders. If I'm being honest, I thought they'd be a bit more impactful in maneuvering in air.

16 minutes ago, galthepal said:

I wasn't experiencing a problem per se, I just wasn't sure initially how to set them up since there weren't directions included. While I did setup using the bindings I mentioned in my post, I didn't know how to measure or test since I'm new to DCS/Flight Sims and I've never used rudders. If I'm being honest, I thought they'd be a bit more impactful in maneuvering in air.

If you do nothing else , use the Virpil software to calibrate them once.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, galthepal said:

So, two things to check.

Firstly, on the inputs page where you bind the controls in DCS go to the axis adjust dialogue and verify that you get the full range of motion. If you don't (or if you're hitting the full range before the pedal gets to full range) then you need to calibrate in the virpil software.

Secondly, look at the pedals in cockpit and check that none of the axises need to be inverted. 

If both of those are good then you are good to go 

As to seeing little effect in flight, which modules are you flying? 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, Scott-S6 said:

So, two things to check.

Firstly, on the inputs page where you bind the controls in DCS go to the axis adjust dialogue and verify that you get the full range of motion. If you don't (or if you're hitting the full range before the pedal gets to full range) then you need to calibrate in the virpil software.

Secondly, look at the pedals in cockpit and check that none of the axises need to be inverted. 

If both of those are good then you are good to go 

As to seeing little effect in flight, which modules are you flying? 

Thanks for this post, apologies I didn't see it sooner. I'll be getting in the cockpit today so I'll go through the checks you write here. Also I'm flying the F/A 18

15 hours ago, galthepal said:

Thanks for this post, apologies I didn't see it sooner. I'll be getting in the cockpit today so I'll go through the checks you write here. Also I'm flying the F/A 18

Okay, so the Hornet is a little odd (as most modern fighters are) with the rudder because of all the stuff that the flight control systems do behind the scenes to modulate your inputs. These schemes are designed on the assumption that you're really not supposed to be doing much with the rudder.

You shouldn't need rudder to make a controlled turn. If your roll angle is too steep for your rate of turn you might need just a little bit of rudder to hold the ball on the horizon.

If you're in level flight and you input max rudder you'll see a minimal deflection of the nose, ~5 degrees at 300 knots, and if you immediately release after reaching that you'll yaw about 4 degrees back. If you hold max rudder you'll see the compass very, very slowly creep across and then you'll swing back ~3-4 degrees when you release. During sustained max rudder input the aircraft will very slowly roll in the direction of the yaw and nose down (if you're hand off stick - it takes very little to counter it and I find myself doing that automatically). 

I know that seems a bit underwhelming for a big control input but it's working as intended. Have a try with the Christen Eagle or one of the smaller WW2 planes and you'll see much more dramatic response to rudder input.

ETA - you might have picked the most underwhelming aircraft to try out pedals with. On other aircraft, pedals are huge help with taxiing and with stability on the runway during takeoff and landing, even if they aren't that useful in the air. If you're only flying to/from carriers you don't get to see that benefit. Try some runway takeoffs and landings and you'll see the difference.

Edited by Scott-S6

I am wondering. Does the Design of the Pedals when placing one foot at a time on them make them tip to that 1st foot side till the other foot is placed on them? I keep seeing the wide pedal width but the base is designed with a smaller width that will cause tipping side to side Only when one foot is placed on or removed first. The back legs look wider then the front but still not as wide as the center point to the pedals. Congratulations on your new Gear. I love Virpil. But I went with MFG Crosswinds they will tip unless mounted.