Can't use both monitors

moggel

I hope that I am not hijacking this thread, but since I am encountering a problem with a dual monitor configuration I thought it best to post here.

I have what I believe to be a straight forward monitor setup within XP, a primary monitor (1680 x 1050) and a second monitor (1280 x 1024), they work fine in XP as an extended desktop (horizontal).

However after reading through this thread I appear to have some difficulty configuring BlackShark's cockpit to display on my main monitor and the Shkval and Abris to display on the secondary monitor.

After much trial and error, I can almost get it to work, however any time that I try and create a resolution of 4100 or higher (my aim was 4240 ie 1680 + 1280 + 1280) when I attempt to launch a quick start the binary crashes.

An example of a working configuration : upto 4096 ie. 1680 + 1208 + 1208 is as follows:

options.lua
["graphics"] = 
...snip...
["multiMonitorSetup"] = "camera+shkval+abris1280",
["aspect"] = 3.9,  -- 4096 / 1050
["resolution"] = "4096x1050", 
["width"] = 4096, -- 1208 + 1680 + 1208

camera+shkval+abris1280.lua
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 1208; -- offset of 4096-1680  / 2 
         y = 0;
         width = 1680;
         height = 1050;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1.6;
    }

}

Shkval =
{
    x = 0;
    y = 0;
    width = 1208/2;
    height = 1024/2;
}
ABRIS =
{
    x = 1208/2;
    y = 0;
    width = 1208/2;
    height = 1024;
}

As I've explained the above example works correctly for my current setup, although I am unable to fully utilise the width of the second monitor (1208 pixels max and not 1280).

It does strike me as an unusual coincidence that BlackShark should crash anytime that I attempt to make the total screen(s) width more than 4096 (4K) is this perhaps a limitation, or are other folks running successfully with a larger value?

Any assistance of course would be greatly appeciated.

Kind regards,

Bravo020.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a working config Zorlac posted

Description = 'Camera on Left Monitor, Shkval and ABRIS on the right'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = screen.width / 2;

y = screen.height / 4;

width = screen.width / 4;

height = screen.height /2;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = screen.width *(3 / 4);

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 4;

height = screen.height;

}

I have a 20.1" @ 1600 x 1200 and a 17" @ 1280 x 1024. When they are in horizontal stretch mode my res is 2560 x 1024 (or 2x my lowest res). I tried adding the 2 resolutions together (in the config) manually and tried manually placing the abris and shkval on the second screen but it was nothing but scrunched, warped views and crashes. I do wish I could figure out how to get the monitors to each run at their native res but I would rather be flying. So why not try this: Stretch your desktop (horizontally), use the above lua script and make sure your in game res is set to 2x the res of your monitor with the lowest res. Go flying!!

-op4

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

I am still confused

So can you run duel mode in xp for different screen res?

I have a 15 inch (screen 2) on the left hand side of my main 22 inch LCD (screen 1) and another 15 inch on the right hand side (screen 3)

How do I set it up to display on the 3rd screen on the right, the reason why I dont want it on the left is that is my TocuBuddy screen and I dont want to take my hand of the joystick to flick a switch, much better to take it of the throttle/collective

Any ideas?

Hi Manta,

The answer is yes, I have 2 screens, each at different resolutions, my primary is 1680x1050 with a refresh rate of 60hz, my second monitor has a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with a refresh rate of 75hz.

However I am unable to utilise the full width of the smaller monitor, each time that I try to configure BlackShark with a value greater than 4096 (which is required from what I am lead to believe on the basis of the calculations discussed earlier in this thread). Therefore I am limited to running my main screen at it's normal resolution of 1680x1050, my second screen also remains configured at a resolution of 1280x1024, but only 1208 pixels across are used to display the Shkval and Abris.

As for running 3 screens, I would assume that this is possible, however with each screen running in their own resolution I think that you might exceed the 4096 limitation that I have been experiencing.

Regards,

Bravo020.

Edited by Bravo020
Khz to hz.

Possibly, although I don't know for sure since I only have a single graphics card that provides support for 2 monitors, as my motherboard only has support for a single AGP graphics card. Although perhaps it is possible with 2 graphics card and a motherboard that supports 2 cards.

From within XP, when I select the second monitor within the display control panel I checked the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor", and was then able to configure the screen resolution of each monitor independently.

However, the downside to all of this is that when I launch BlackShark in multiplayer mode the screen is garbled across both monitors and not all the buttons are visible, as a result it didn't appear to be possible to connect to an Internet game....I haven't tried further to investigate this issue.

Hi Manta,

The answer is yes, I have 2 screens, each at different resolutions, my primary is 1680x1050 with a refresh rate of 60Khz, my second monitor has a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with a refresh rate of 75Khz.

holy shit, you got some badass monitors ;)

However I am unable to utilise the full width of the smaller monitor, each time that I try to configure BlackShark with a value greater than 4096 (which is required from what I am lead to believe on the basis of the calculations discussed earlier in this thread). Therefore I am limited to running my main screen at it's normal resolution of 1680x1050, my second screen also remains configured at a resolution of 1280x1024, but only 1208 pixels across are used to display the Shkval and Abris.

As for running 3 screens, I would assume that this is possible, however with each screen running in their own resolution I think that you might exceed the 4096 limitation that I have been experiencing.

Regards,

Bravo020.

old graphic cards support only up to 4096x4096 pixel rendertargets

Ooops....you know what I mean....damn Hz.....,

Aahhh..! Ulukay, many thanks for the pointer with regards to pixel render targets, that would certainly make sense since I am running on a rather ancient nvidia 7800GS as I'm still stuck in the dark ages with a prescott 3.4Ghz, and I have to admit that the frame rate suffers considerably with a dual monitor configuration.

Thanks again for the information much appreciated and makes sense of why I was encountering a 4096 limitation.

Take care.

Hmmm no idea where I am going wrong but can not set this up for a 1680 x 1050 screen and a 1028 x 768 screen.

Any ideas?

["

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1208; -- offset of 4096-1680 / 2

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1208/2;

height = 1024/2;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 1208/2;

y = 0;

width = 1208/2;

height = 1024;

["graphics"] =

{

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 3,

["fullScreen"] = true,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.7777777777778,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 2,

["display_mode"] =

Edited by KG66Manta

Hi Manta,

Best start again, since there are a number of possible issues with the information you have provided.

If you are trying to run on a 1680x1050 and a 1024x768 monitor setup then I believe that the following is required, for the Shkval and Abris to reside on a 1024x768 monitor on the left, and the cockpit to reside on a 1680x1050 monitor on the right.

Let me know if you still have problems and I'll see what happens, also if you need any additional information on what the values represent and why I have chosen them.

Regards.

options.lua

["graphics"] = 
   {
  ["color"] = "32",
  ["heatBlr"] = 0,
  ["scenes"] = "medium",
  ["water"] = 2,
  ["fullScreen"] = false,
  ["visibRange"] = "Medium",
  ["aspect"] = 3.55, -- 3728 / 1050
  ["textures"] = 1,
  ["shadows"] = 1,
  ["display_mode"] = 
  {
     ["avi"] = 
     {
        ["bpp"] = 32,
        ["resolution"] = "640x480",
        ["full_screen"] = false,
        ["aspect"] = 1.333333333,
        ["height"] = 480,
        ["width"] = 640,
     }, -- end of ["avi"]
  }, -- end of ["display_mode"]
  ["effects"] = 3,
  ["lights"] = 2,
  ["haze"] = 1,
  ["terrPrld"] = "20",
  ["height"] = 1050,
  ["resolution"] = "3728x1050", -- 1024 + 1680 + 1024
  ["civTraffic"] = 0,
  ["width"] = 3728,
}, -- end of ["graphics"]

Description = 'Shkval on the left monitor, camera on the right'
Viewports =
{
  Center =
  {
     x = 1024;
     y = 0;
     width = 1680;
     height = 1050;
     viewDx = 0;
     viewDy = 0;
     aspect = 1.6;
  }

}
Shkval =
{
  x = 0;
  y = 0;
  width = 1024/2;
  height = 768/2;

}
ABRIS =
{
  x = 1024/2;
  y = 0;
  width = 1024/2;
  height = 768;
}

Edited by Bravo020
Made a lot of adjustments.

Great, I will give them a go and let you know how they go. Thanks for taking the time to assit me with it.

What would be the coordinates I would need to enter to have the ABRIS and SHKVAL to display on my right mointor instread of the left mointor?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

So I tried to follow the wiki link posted above, and I can't seem to get it to work. When I get into the game (Actually in the game, not the launcher), the game screen is stretched over to the secondary monitor. No ABRIS or anything, just more of the cockpit and such. It's as though it's running at an extremely high resolution (everything is zoomed in).

I have 2 monitors running at 1680x1050. From what I understand, my phantom monitor needs to be the same resolution (so the width would be 5040, right?) Aspect is 4.8.

["graphics"] = 
   {
       ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "multi2",
       ["color"] = "32",
       ["heatBlr"] = 1,
       ["scenes"] = "medium",
       ["water"] = 2,
       ["fullScreen"] = false,
       ["visibRange"] = "High",
       ["aspect"] = 4.8,
       ["textures"] = 2,
       ["shadows"] = 3,
       ["display_mode"] = 
       {
           ["avi"] = 
           {
               ["bpp"] = 32,
               ["resolution"] = "640x480",
               ["full_screen"] = false,
               ["aspect"] = 1.333333333,
               ["height"] = 480,
               ["width"] = 640,
           }, -- end of ["avi"]
       }, -- end of ["display_mode"]
       ["effects"] = 3,
       ["lights"] = 2,
       ["haze"] = 1,
       ["terrPrld"] = "20",
       ["height"] = 1050,
       ["resolution"] = "1680x1050",
       ["civTraffic"] = 0,
       ["width"] = 5040,

My multi monitor stuff:

Description = 'ABRIS and Shkval on the right and camera on the center'
Viewports = 
{
   Center =
   {
       x = 1680
       y = 0;
       width = 1680;
       height = 1050;
       viewDx = 0;
       aspect = 1.6;
   }
}
Shkval = 
{    
   x = 4200;
   y = 0;
   width = 840;
   height = 525;
}
ABRIS
{
   x = 3360;
   y = 0
   width = 840
   height = 1050
}

By the way, my primary monitor is on the left, secondary is on the right. I can't figure out why it is stretching the actual cockpit/gameplay screen, and not placing the ABRIS and Shkval over on the right monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
We have summarised this thread on our wiki here http://vaaf.net/wiki2/index.php5?title=Black_Shark_MultiMonitors with some examples. Hope this helps.

I have a 46" LCD HDTV I use to fly on. It connects to my ATI Radeon 2900 Pro video card. I use HDMI cable from t he video card to TV, and it looks great. No problems at al with anything. I use WinXP. My computer monitor is set at: 1152x864. I have no special settings for my TV, as the Radeon video card is only set to 2 monitors with no other additonal settings as there is no need.

I used the info from the Wiki for this using my TV and my 20" Computer monitor (CRT). The picture is just wrong, it shows the same image on both the TV and computer monitor and is divided into 2 or 3 sections. :huh: depending on which script I try.

additional snapshot is of my ATI Radeon Catalyst Video monitor setup.

See the snapshot attached..

I am looking to see what script I need to use my Computer Monitor for the cockpit instruments and the LCD TV for the outside views. (normal views).

04-19-09_Dual_Monitors_Snap1.thumb.jpg.dc636caadddaa7b14c27d7b107eb1d3e.jpg

04-19-09_Dual_Monitors_Snap2.thumb.jpg.7e3a43b0825408b280a6a54b15198bbf.jpg

04-19-09_Dual_Monitors_Snap3.jpg.8f1d6d7adf18204b9e6e725359c0b8bd.jpg

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

maybe setting the Radeon video card Catalyst software, set in in monitor clone mode, it cannot show two different screenshots... ?one of the external views and the other monitor of the cockpit instruments?

I was hoping on the LCD TV I could have a regular view and on the CRT monitor, I could display the Abris...

:joystick:

maybe I can use this method:

part 1

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3651583/10054304

part 2

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3651245/10053379

=====

nope, doesn't look like I can do that method.. guess it must be done somehow by script..

update, well:

I tried the scripting posted on this website for 2 monitors. It looks like since one is actually a 46" LCD TV and the other is a regular computer monitr, so the 2 monitor solution did not work for my setup. I fly on the 46" LCD TV with no problems. I run HDMI cable from the ATI Radeon video card using ATI Catalyst software.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Hey all If you would help me, I would be very thankkfull. I havent donesomething like this before so I'm noobed on this. I'm running Vista 64 in 32 bit. I'm running BS in full screen mode. I have a Son Bravia 46, scrn. res.= 1680x1050 this is my main monitor in the center. 2nd monitor is a Dell 17 scrn. res.= 1280x1024. I've d/l Phantom Monitor but have not installed yet. I don't have DCS Multi Mon. I hope any questions needed have be listed. I don't have NotePad ++, I looked at it and didn't know even remotely how to install. Tks. in advance for ay help you could offer.....

• 2 weeks later...