Can't use both monitors

moggel

Fakum, thanks for getting the screenshot. I think it confirms what I suspected, because BS automatically places indicators in the "virtual screen", it can end up placing indicators where there is no physical screen. Unless the indicators have their own parameters, or maybe BS is made aware of different sized monitors, then this will be a problem.

To get round this, you could place the primary screen on the left and the secondary on the right of the virtual screen, and also swap the monitors in Windows. Obviously this is now inconvenient because the Windows desktop is also swapped over, so not really a satisfactory solution in general, but would work for BS.

By coincidence, this is how I have set up my monitors. I have a spare monitor which was placed on the left of the main (centre really, because there is a monitor on the right for a 2nd PC). So I extended the Windows desktop to the right which is physically the left monitor! It's pretty confusing moving windows around, but I only use these montitors for playing games.

Offsetting the secondary monitor would give you the bottom or the top indicator but not both, so I don't think would help you.

I nearly have my MonitorWizard going, but I think you are probably no longer in need of its modest capability.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im basically hoping someone can figure out a way to set new coordinates for the trim indicator and FPS

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Sorry I couldn't be more help Fakum. I really don't think it's possible to relocate the UI elements, I believe it's compiled in.

Thinking outside the box, do you really need the trim indicator? I've never used it. If it's the only thing causing you grief, maybe you can learn to do without it? I don't think you have much of a choice with multimon anyway?

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

I appreciate the effort,,, the trim indicator is something I got accustom too, I am at a point where I have considered the same unfortunatly. I will probably just learn to live without it,,, I was being optimistic :smilewink: Thanks alot anyway,,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I nearly have my MonitorWizard going, but I think you are probably no longer in need of its modest capability.

I'd be happy to test it for you redeyes.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Panzertard, that would be a problem due to my desk configuration unfortunatly,, long story,,, just not a viable option,,but thanks

Virtually only then - tell Windows or/and DCS that the largest is to the left - and the smallest to the right.

See if that may solve the problem without too many sideeffects.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Panzertard, that would be a problem due to my desk configuration unfortunatly,, long story,,, just not a viable option,,but thanks

You don't have to physically move the monitors, just tell Windows they are in different places.

Works fine for me.

EDIT: Should say, with Phantom Monitor Fix... without PMF I have come to the conclusion it's impossible to get all the features displayed.

Edited by old_red_eyes

Ahhhh ,, I know what you mean now,, I remember the original configuration was backwards when i setup dual, and the mouse would not move over, except if I went in the opposit direction. Gotcha now,,, I might just tinker with that,, thanks

Ahhhh ,, I know what you mean now,, I remember the original configuration was backwards when i setup dual, and the mouse would not move over, except if I went in the opposit direction. Gotcha now,,, I might just tinker with that,, thanks

:thumbup: Exactly .. that's virtual tinkering :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Brilliant! Just Briliant! Wish I had a brain! Whether it works or not remains to be seen, but brilliant none the less. Thanks for elaborating on that, otherwise, I was still in the box,,,,:doh:

Hello, I have read most posts and read trough hundreds of replies, in an attempt to solve my problem.

Basicly it is this.

Running Vista 32 fully updated

GeForce 8800GT latest driver

have extended the desktop over the second monitor

Primary is 1680 x 1050

Secondary is 1024 x 768 touchscreen on the left

secondary pulled to left on monitorsettings

Have tried Full screen on and off with many different lua files.

Must have spend days at this time reading how people is setting

up their systems. copied and pasted with notepad++ what seemed

relavant.

BUT no matter what i do it's all squashed together on the primary

monitor. and that is my problem. looking like 2 or 3 tall screens

running on the primary, feks, Skval and ABRIS, cockpit, phantom

my main interest is to get DCS-DickDastardly-inflight-2mon and

touchbuddy rinning on the left side ( the touch screen )

Well the touchscreens buttons works. but the supplied files

and other attempts, all result in 2 or 3 sections on the primary,

and will not go to the secondary.

A shame as i bought the touchscreen specific for this.

and for now im reverting to the standart option and monitor files.

mrniel

@mrneil:

Have you read and followed this? It is designed to give you everything you need to get going. Look at the excel spreadsheet on that page.

You are using Vista, so you can't use fullscreen. Windowed is your only option.

As you have an asymmetric setup, you will need to either run the phantom monitor fix, or configure a phantom. I recommend the former.

I'll post your numbers tonight if you haven't got it sorted. You've got a very standard setup so it shouldn't be the slightest problem to get going.

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Thank you for replying so fast.

And yes I read the wiki page several times.

Basicly atm I'm trying to

setting total with in options to. 1680+2*1050=3728

that include the phantom monitor i suspect.

setting the aspect to total with / by higest vertical reselution

3728/1050 =3,55

Copying the setup from the wiki link as the vista user basic have the same

setup s mine, exept he have the monitor on the right.

so changing the starting loc of ABRIS and Shkval to 0. as it should be far left but at different hights.

but i still get nothing or ever have on the secondary monitor.

Perhaps i dont understand how i actually use windowed mode and how its set. perhaps thats the main problem.

tried this

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=29510&stc=1&d=1249177616

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=29511&stc=1&d=1249177616

but again no result

again thanks for you patience :)

options.txt

test.txt

I looked at the figures and entered them into a test file.

initially the Shkval and ABRIS wad half hidden on the top left screen.

But figured that if i subtracted the difference between the 2 screens

i could get them into the viewable feld. also swiched them around.

for the first time i have somthing running on both monitors.

probably due to the phantommonitorfix

But as seen on the attached pic the maim screens cockpit is

squashed on the left side, almost as the phantommonitor is using the right side. ?

If i could only figure out how to strech the main pics cockpit, everything would be solved. :)

again i can't thank you enough for you'r kind help.

attaching the files decriped.

mrniel

options.txt

test.txt

DSCN0132.thumb.JPG.158d8eb2f245317f968d2c8914b87043.JPG

["aspect"] = 2,57524,

use a decimal place separator, not a comma. 2.57524

Your ABRIS is squashed because the height value in test.lua is 384, and should be 768.

Are your windows desktop resolutions the same as your game resolutions?

Are you sure you're running the phantom monitor fix properly?

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes:

["aspect"] = 2,57524,

use a decimal place separator, not a comma. 2.57524

found and corrected it, no change to result. :(

Your ABRIS is squashed because the height value in test.lua is 384, and should be 768.

Understood, but i now know how to change that as they later on will have

to be placed under the overlay from DickDastardly, no problem.

Are your windows desktop resolutions the same as your game resolutions?

as descriped previously, i run the windows in primary 1680x1050 and

with that setting in gameoptions also, secondary is in max rez 1024x768.

Are you sure you're running the phantom monitor fix properly?

Not really. I unzipped the download wich gave me a PhantomMonitorFix folder. inside that there was another PhantomMonitorFix folder.

pulled the inner PhantomMonitorFix folder into my desktop.

inside the folder was phantomMonitorFix.exe and a subfolder called source,

wich contained monitorEnum.au3 and phantomMonitorFix.au3 + PMF.ico

So what i do is from desktop open the PhantomMonitorFix folder

and doubelclick the phantomMonitorFix.exe wich startup an trayicon

on the menubar, im supposing the program itself find the source subfolder.

hope this is correct

mrniel.

again, im amazed how helpful you have been, much appreciated.

What program did you use to edit the files?

Start again from fresh copies of the originals. And check for duplicate files, DCS may not be reading the one you think it's reading.

Go back through the wiki page right from the top and re-read it carefully. Nothing there is redundant, it's all critical.

Bed now, will check again in the morning. Good luck.

Streaming DCS sometimes:

I petty much understand the system now and how to set it up,

sadly my system seems to have a will of it own.

So after trying every combination i could think off,

I concluded this.

When setting up a primary with a secondary on left and normal phantom

on the right. only the primary displays.

This one is odd, and seen in the previously posted pic.

when setting up primary and secondary, in a 2 config and using PhantomMonitorFix. The phantom is placing itself on the right side off

the primary screen. not much of a phantom :)

and thats my problem.

Well you have been very helpfull, but i'm afraid no combination will solve this.

as it does not behave as it supposed to do programmingwise.

some hardware or other flaw is messing up any attempt i do, even though

i understand the way to set it up now.

Again i must thank you for your help and understanding.

mrniel

Having done dozens of these myself, and helped dozens more, I say this with the greatest sympathy for your frustration:

It is almost certainly something you are doing wrong. I would be very reticent to blame hardware. Go back to first principles and start again. A scattergun approach, where you try "every combination", doesn't work except by luck. Do it deliberately and precisely.

When using the phantom monitor fix exe, you do not need to configure a phantom monitor. The numbers I gave you do not use a phantom. The fact that you are still talking about phantom monitors makes me wonder if you really understand that?

Did you scan for duplicate files?

Please post a screenshot of your windows monitor setup - i.e. the settings window where you drag the screens around and set "extend my desktop onto this monitor".

Can I also confirm that you are not changing anything in the DCS options screen once you've manually edited the files? Please post a screenshot of your DCS options page showing the resolution/aspect/multimon fields.

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Having a 1680x1050 and a 1024x768

You can define your center monitor and aspect

1680x1050 and 1,6

define your total screen area and define a shadow to the right,

to set the center monitor centered. without using the PMF

it would be 3728 left.center.shadow 1024+1680+1024

in this exampel the aspect would be 3,5504

height is still 1050

---------------------------------------------

Now if using the PMF

I change the total with to 2704 left.main 1024+1680

and the aspect would be 2,5752

the secondary left screens ABRIS and TV is easy to move around

just simpel x,y in position and size, just stay within its borders.

--------------------------------------------

I offcause tried boths exampels with and without PMF just in case.

though i understand only the second exampel really need it running.

I reinstalled the program, and cleaned up. searched for dublicates,

tried other card drivers, just in case. As i can change behavior, it's

an indication that the right files is being read. I tried adjusting single

lines one at the time to do a trail and error approach.

anyway i'm re attaching the photos you asked for.

1st. show the card settings, note the new video driver switched the

id numbers, it does not affect the result, also note the window spanning

both monitors indicating that expanded desktop is active.

The danish text in the lower option says, expand desktop to this monitor,

and is checked. nothing i can do different here.

2nd show options screen ingame, i already assumed i had to leave alone after messing with files. the aspect refers to the main screen i assume.

3rd pic show the game running the attached files without PMF

not how i understand it's supposed to be done, but again, just in case.

4th pic show the game using the files again, but with PMF running.

as i understand the 2704 screen wide files is supposed to be used.

so if my screensetup in windows is correct.

and my attached files does not contain any errors. no dublicates is present.

using notepad++ ect. I must admit im a bit confused :)

Honestly i probably spend 20 hours now hunting for the cause it squash

the main screen to the left.

anyway attaching the files if you have time please look them trough,

and say if they are wrong.

obviously they in game folders are lua files

your gratefull fellow flightsimmer

mrniel

1.thumb.JPG.5844b5dd0a97394a621037ec5e4a651c.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.1675af790490f7579d4f82e3d80b6c3c.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.4c0aa448e7f1577ebc50f22ac7c659e5.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.1ebbeb154c8897c0902c3caa86df3e3a.JPG

options.txt

test.txt

I believe, though I'll need to check, that the "aspect" field in the options screen should show your wide aspect, not the aspect of the main screen. So that indicates to me that there's something wrong with your options.lua file, and DCS on load is possibly defaulting to 16:10.

Perhaps it's something to do with your Danish keyboard? Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment otherwise I'd send you some pre-configured files to use. If you can wait until wednesday night (aussie time) I'll do just that.

Could I suggest that you start again from a fresh copy of the original, and rather than use your decimal point or comma keys on your keyboard, copy and paste decimal points and commas from within the file to ensure that the text code is correct?

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes: