Object Free Camera - First Person

fagulha

Hi,

I used to walk in VR using Object Free Camera and view comands for "walking" (binded to my gamepad) so i can do my walkarounds and go the aircraft by bus (like in the pic) but with 2.8 is no longer available to get inside the vehicles due for the damage model change or something like that. Please, it is possible to have this back?

Thank you,

F.

image.png

Edited by fagulha
Spelling
  • Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Another user passed me the workaround/fix for now for this, so if someone uses this camera for first person view like i do:

"The "camera blocking" thingy has been removed for this camera now, it should pop up in a future patch.
In t
he meantime, head into your "View.lua" file (under "....Config\View") , open it with notepad or something ----> find the line "CameraToUnitModelCollision = true" <--------- and change this to "false" ---> save file. "

• Thanks 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, fagulha said:

Another user passed me the workaround/fix for now for this, so if someone uses this camera for first person view like i do:

"The "camera blocking" thingy has been removed for this camera now, it should pop up in a future patch.
In t
he meantime, head into your "View.lua" file (under "....Config\View") , open it with notepad or something ----> find the line "CameraToUnitModelCollision = true" <--------- and change this to "false" ---> save file. "

Where is this file? in Saved Games? I cant find it, only view.lua for specific modules/mod aircraft 

4 hours ago, The_Tau said:

Where is this file? in Saved Games? I cant find it, only view.lua for specific modules/mod aircraft 

It´s on DCS core folder.

config/view/view.lua

EDIT: Beware that you must do this steps after each update because this file is overwriten to default settings. I´m trying to use it with my autoexec.cfg file (in DCS savedgames folder) par with other options so i don´t need to do the steps after each update, like in the pic, but need testing because i don´t know if it works with this file.

autoexec file.png

Edited by fagulha
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/20/2022 at 5:42 AM, fagulha said:

In t

I tried this workaround today, but it's not working for me. My Object Free Camera is still unable to be moved inside the object I'm set on. Has something changed? Is there a new workaround?

22 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

I tried this workaround today, but it's not working for me. My Object Free Camera is still unable to be moved inside the object I'm set on. Has something changed? Is there a new workaround?

No issues here. The only change i´m aware of is the need to open the lua files with notepad++ with Run as administrator. Worth mention that is the View.Lua on Config Folder in your core installation folder and not in savedgames/DCS folder.

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

No issues here. The only change i´m aware of is the need to open the lua files with notepad++ with Run as administrator. Worth mention that is the View.Lua on Config Folder in your core installation folder and not in savedgames/DCS folder.

I used notepad++ and edited the lua in my core install config folder. Hmm, I wonder why it's not working. 🤔

8 hours ago, The_Tau said:

Remember you have to repeat procedure after each update

Yeah, of course, but I haven't updated. I just tried the workaround for the first time before I posted the message 17 hours ago.

It's working for you? You can maneuver the R.Ctrl F2 camera into the model of a jet without being stopped by the surface of the model?

17 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

I used notepad++ and edited the lua in my core install config folder. Hmm, I wonder why it's not working. 🤔

Could you post a printscreen of the line you edited?

Oh wait a second, I just discovered something. The work around does work if you're playing the game live, but it does not work for me if I'm viewing a track file replay. Why would they be different? 🤔

Can you guys verify if the workaround allows you to bring the camera inside a model when you're watching a track file?

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 12:22 AM, Callsign JoNay said:

@fagulha I did some more testing. It seems like your work around works for live play and client side tracks, but it does not work for server side track files. Do you have any ideas for a workaround that will allow me to falsify CameraToUnitModelCollision for server side tracks?

I´m sorry for the late reply i only read this today. No, i´m sorry i don´t know a workaround, at least for now.

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

I modified the file to "false" and I'm still not able to go through walls using the object external camera view (right CTRL + F2).  Works fine with the standard free camera view but then I have the problem of adjusting for the speed of the object (i.e. the super carrier).  I'm still using DCS 2.8 - is this a new capability with 2.9?  I've been reluctant to update due to reports of various bugs.

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

11 hours ago, 2circle said:

I modified the file to "false" and I'm still not able to go through walls using the object external camera view (right CTRL + F2).  Works fine with the standard free camera view but then I have the problem of adjusting for the speed of the object (i.e. the super carrier).  I'm still using DCS 2.8 - is this a new capability with 2.9?  I've been reluctant to update due to reports of various bugs.

This is a new feature of 2.9 I believe, so you'll need to update before you can use it.

Fully understand the preference to remain on Stable release. Just know that you can switch between the two if you want (Skatezilla's Update Utility is great for this), or if you have enough SSD space, you can have 2 installs for trying out the new features (which is what I recommend and prefer doing, but I understand not everyone has the space for this).

• Like 1

2 installs?  That would be great - I have plenty of space on my drive.  May I ask how to do this without purchasing another copy?  My big fear is always that there will be some bug that makes it such that I'd rather go back to the previous version, but not being able to...Is there a link or video that discusses this?  Thank you! 

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

12 hours ago, 2circle said:

2 installs?  That would be great - I have plenty of space on my drive.  May I ask how to do this without purchasing another copy?  My big fear is always that there will be some bug that makes it such that I'd rather go back to the previous version, but not being able to...Is there a link or video that discusses this?  Thank you! 

You can have as many installs of DCS as you like. You don't need to purchase another license or use another account. The only criteria is only one instance of DCS can be ran at a time (excludes dedicated servers, which I think the concurrent amount per account is 5 IIRC, but that's irrelevent to what you're wanting to do).

Most Open Beta testers (who use open beta for beta testing) like myself do this. Many closed beta testers could have 3 or 4 local copies installed for their various testing. ED allows for this. 

To have this:

Copy your DCS Install path to a second location.

Open up that directory and locate the file called dcs_variant.txt   (if it doesn't exist create it). 

Make the text in here something like OPENBETA. 

(What this does is tells DCS when it's launched from this location to use the "saved games\DCS.OpenBeta" folder for settings instead of the "saved games\DCS" folder. Note: This is optional, however I find it good practice not to share the same saved games configuration folders between builds and to keep them seperate. You can however copy all the folders and files from one to another to save you resetting up all your bindings on the second install).

Open up a command line parameter and navigate to the second install that you've created, into the BIN directory.

execute the command "dcs_updater update @openbeta".   This will force DCS to update this copy to the open beta. 

Alternatively, if you want that copy to be the stable version, I believe the command is "dcs_updater update @release" 

Or alternatively, just use 

It's a GUI way of handling multiple DCS installs.

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1