What curves are you using for winwing

KoN

Hi all new stick and throttle, very happy with the feel and designs. 

A question what are your curve setting with in DCS or simappp. 

Not found away to set curves in simapp found deadzones . 

Coming from Virpil you can set curves and deadzones . 

Any thoughts from winwing Orion 2 . Vets . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I personally don't use curves or deadzones on my Orion HOTAS. When I do (or would set them), I would just do so right in DCS. Part of the reason I got the WW (coming from TM160000) was to not have to apply curves, etc.

So, sorry can't be more help in that regard, but having high fidelity gear for me was about being able to get away from using curves and having to set a deadzone.

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

Ok thank you for your reply. 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

To hopefully be a bit more helpful, I have found that the curves and deadzone settings right in the sim have worked just fine in some basic testing I did over the weekend.

Regarding SimAppPro: it is notoriously tricky to get to work right and ppl are seeing that a bit with the new MFD panels. SimAppPro tends to be a resource hog due to how it injects info to DCS while it's running (this may have been patched, don't know). Something to do with writing a lua file with every input, I think, but exactly how it does this is beyond my competency. There are lots of smart ppl on these forums that have been discussing this for some time though, so a quick search for posts about SimAppPro should find helpful suggestions and folks to contact.

Basically, the recommendation seems to be against running SimAppPro while DCS is running if you can avoid it. I never run it unless I want to recalibrate or change one of the nobs from rotary function to switch or some such). Unless you are running one of those MFDs or the new FFB stick base, I don't think you need it. You can open SimAppPro, calibrate and adjust the settings you want and then close the program. It writes those changes right to the hardware, so you don't need to run it for the hardware to work.

Edited by Brother_Leb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro

Thank you,yes I close it down and now using DCS curve's. 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2022 at 12:47 AM, Brother_Leb said:

Basically, the recommendation seems to be against running SimAppPro while DCS is running if you can avoid it. I never run it unless I want to recalibrate or change one of the nobs from rotary function to switch or some such). Unless you are running one of those MFDs or the new FFB stick base, I don't think you need it. You can open SimAppPro, calibrate and adjust the settings you want and then close the program. It writes those changes right to the hardware, so you don't need to run it for the hardware to work.

Hi Brother_Leb, when you say the changes you make in the SimAppPro write to the hardware, does that mean direct to the Orion2 base itself? 

I've been reading several threads about the Orion2 base and F/A18 stick and throttle, which I'll be receiving in the coming days and was really hoping to avoid using the SimAppPro and just programme everything directly to DCS key and Axis bindings. Is this possible, what I've been reading suggests so? Cheers.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

4 hours ago, Aussie Pilot said:

Hi Brother_Leb, when you say the changes you make in the SimAppPro write to the hardware, does that mean direct to the Orion2 base itself? 

I've been reading several threads about the Orion2 base and F/A18 stick and throttle, which I'll be receiving in the coming days and was really hoping to avoid using the SimAppPro and just programme everything directly to DCS key and Axis bindings. Is this possible, what I've been reading suggests so? Cheers.

Simappro is only needed for firmware updates and calibration (do not use Windows calibration!!).

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

5 hours ago, Aussie Pilot said:

Yes, as MustangSally says you can do it all in DCS (except firmware updates/calibration).  HOWEVER, and it's a minor thing, you won't get syncing of the lights on your throttle with in game (i.e. A-G and A-A mode lights) without having SimAppPro running in the background.  I ran mine for a long time that way back when SimAppPro caused a significant framerate hit, but that's mostly gone (and having the MIP now so needing it) I like having light syncing.  If you're using VR then obviously you won't care about it so no need to run it in the background.

@Aussie Pilot MustangSally and rob10 covered everything I would have said. Just for clarification though, you will have to run SimAppPro initially to calibrate your gear when you first get it and plug it in (as MustangSally says, DON'T use Windows calibration). You will not get a good result if you just plug in and go straight to DCS. After initial calibration in SimAppPro, however, you can close it and just run DCS and do everything else there. I haven't opened SimAppPro myself in over a month.

Important caveat: Things like rotary nobs and sliders have different options for operation (as axis, buttons, or a hybrid). Also, setting up the AB detent needs to be done in SimAppPro as well. If you want to change these you will need to open SimAppPro to do so. And I've sometimes switched them myself, depending on a setup or airframe, and it works fine. Open the program, make the change, close it and go back to whatever you were doing.

Happy flying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was under the impression sim app pro was needed for getting the DCS UFC information to display in the MP1 as well?  

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

I was under the impression sim app pro was needed for getting the DCS UFC information to display in the MP1 as well?  

Yes, needs to be running for the UFC info to sync along with the A-A and A-G lights and if you're using the WinWing MFCD screens for them too.  The original thread was basically talking stick/base/throttle.

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, MustangSally said:

Simappro is only needed for firmware updates and calibration (do not use Windows calibration!!).

What might one do if they….used windows calibration.  I saw the AB detent post and swear it said to calibrate in both.  Now it looks like I need to undo that.  I could uninstall it obviously and suppose that I could save the .Lua bindings.

10 hours ago, Apone said:

What might one do if they….used windows calibration.  I saw the AB detent post and swear it said to calibrate in both.  Now it looks like I need to undo that.  I could uninstall it obviously and suppose that I could save the .Lua bindings.

You calibrate in Simappro...nothing to do with Windows! I wrote the post and it has nothing to do with Windows calibration.

Edited by MustangSally

I am aware that you wrote the post.  I've made an effort to read your posts and simply made a mistake.  I'm not sure why every post now ends in an exclamation point as though somehow - magically - everyone knows precisely what to do with this complicated sim and this undocumented hardware.  Maybe I am misinterpreting your tone.  If Winwing only wants brilliant, previously experienced people to buy the stuff - they can just put that on the site and watch the sales slow down.  There is no reason that a company that has been operating as long as they have (I've been watching since they charged on the scene) can't hire SOMEONE on this continent to help support and document.  Literally, pay them to do it.  Even the email I got to say the order was on the way would take me 3 minutes to re-write and then they could use it forever with every customer, I almost did it.

I would say that my question still holds of how to undo the mistake I've made.  I did go in and hit reset controller in windows but not sure that worked.  Besides, simapp pro does not even see the installation of DCS on my machine.  I browse it to the folder and It says the exe is not there.  I wanted to ask but the answer around here seems to be don't use simapp... even though some features are dependent on it.  Like I can't calibrate the AB because it does not see the plane because it does not see the install.  Why do they put out the software if it does not work for its purpose?  I'm coming from the TM Warthog and this Orion 2 is better in almost every way for playing DCS.   WW could go so much further.

Sorry for the rant, I just see people asking questions and getting exasperation.  I get it, you made some of the original and very helpful posts (which have helped me), and you also seem to have access to their discord.  This is great but it seems like you are tired of questions, which is fine I assume you are not paid to be here or anything.  I just want my silly flight sim to work without being a hardware or software engineer.  If we want community, we have to bring people in and along.  To grow the sim.  Dumb questions and all.

Carry on, Captain.

Edited by Apone

I just get sick and tired of spoon feeding.

Edited by MustangSally

19 hours ago, Apone said:

I believe you can just clear it in the Windows game controller/calibration screen (haven't used it in a long time).  I assume from your post you're having issues.  If you're not having issues, just carry on.

• Thanks 1