Better Off-Loading (when ending sessions/disconnecting from servers)

SomethingAncient

I don't know exactly where to put this, but for some reason my HDD is used just as much when quitting as when I load in. Why does my HDD need to (seemingly) receive that much information upon quitting? Can this please be addressed to make quitting to the menu or desktop faster? I'd be concerned about the life of an SSD if this game needed to write several GB of data every time I quit a session or exit a server.

I’ve been running DCS on the same SSD for 10 years with no trouble. So probably that’s not worth worrying about. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 11/14/2022 at 9:27 AM, SharpeXB said:

I’ve been running DCS on the same SSD for 10 years with no trouble. So probably that’s not worth worrying about. 

It literally prevents me from loading much else for 5 minutes after quitting a session. My point about the SSD is secondary to the issue of "I can't load up another game several minutes after I quit DCS."

18 minutes ago, SomethingAncient said:

It literally prevents me from loading much else for 5 minutes after quitting a session. My point about the SSD is secondary to the issue of "I can't load up another game several minutes after I quit DCS."

Well the time delay might be a pain but I don’t think it’s going to damage an SSD. Although I don’t experience a five minute wait like that. Not sure why that’s happening to you. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

14 hours ago, SomethingAncient said:

It literally prevents me from loading much else for 5 minutes after quitting a session.

Sounds more like a bug thread than a wish. It takes seconds to close the DCS normally but we already had threads where someone had problems with that. Make a new thread, upload dcs.log and share your PC specs.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 11/17/2022 at 12:14 AM, twistking said:

you are probably just experiencing windows file swapping. i guess you have 16gb of ram or less?

Yeah, 16GB. It's usually good for up to 14 players without any hitching. I do plan to upgrade, but that won't be until January at the earliest. What I didn't realize, thanks to draconus answering in the bug thread I created, was that DCS was successfully quitting after only 15 seconds and that the rest was just page file doing... something. Which makes it a Windows issue until I fill in the other RAM 2 slots, alas.