Kneeboards

Gary
Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

Apologies if this is a silly question!

Do DCS modules come with default kneeboards or do you have to download the ones you might want from the user files?

I've seen a number of tutorials on how to import mark points or target points for the Harrier (all using the same kneeboard) but my install doesnt have any kneeboards at all by default - not for any airframe? - is this correct as is (tried a slow repair) and I need to install kneeboards myself?

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

The default kneeboards are map specific but not module specific. Do you not even have the airfield diagrams or local maps? Those are installed by default. Some modules add module-specific pages, but not all.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

6 hours ago, Gary said:

Do DCS modules come with default kneeboards

Some Modules have default KB, for example the Mirage F1, the C-101, the Viggen .. but others don't.

6 hours ago, Gary said:

or do you have to download the ones you might want from the user files?

You could do that ... a more personal alternative is to create your own KB using tools like Kneeboard Builder.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you to all that have replied. I appreciate your time in doing so.

Ok - so I guess my starting point is to confirm my Beta install is as it should be and go from there.

Is there listed anywhere the default kneeboards by map and airframe?

I have the F16 - F18 and Harrier plus all the maps so these will be my starting checks.

If there is a list of the defaults somewhere as I would like to check I have these first and foremost and go from there.

Hope that makes sense?

(I've completed a full repair and no mods at all)

Regards,

Gary

• Solution
1 hour ago, Gary said:

I have the F16 - F18 and Harrier plus all the maps so these will be my starting checks.

If there is a list of the defaults somewhere as I would like to check I have these first and foremost and go from there.

I don't have such a list, but you can check if a Module has a default Kneeboard by inspecting on /Program files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/aircraft/<aircraft-ID>/Cockpit/Scripts/KNEEBOARD/   ... if it exists, then that aircraft has a default KB, for example:

nHhFAu4.jpg

Some aircrafts have dynamic kneeboards, those have LUA files instead of image files on their kneeboard folder.

The Maps that have kneeboards are Caucasus, Nevada, South Atlantic and Marianas. The others do not have one by default.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Rudel,

You sir are a gentleman - thank you.

Having been around here for a while I must say I'm yet to see a post from you which was anything but helpful!

Thanks again - I'll jump on DCS tomorrow and start checking.

Kind regards,

Gary

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Having been around here for a while I must say I'm yet to see a post from you which was anything but helpful!

Thanks for the kind word .. seems you have never seen me ranting away with some entitled users 😇

Creating your own custom Kneeboard is, in my opinion, a great tool when learning a new Module .. it helps me a lot to remember procedures for aircrafts that I haven't flow in a while, I write my own in MS Word and then convert them to PDF and then to PNG:

lxuB48e.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw

I normally write mine in PowerPoint, then use Sniptool to save as a png

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I normally write mine in PowerPoint, then use Sniptool to save as a png

You can actually just make sure you select everything, right click, save as PICTURE and select png in Powerpoint.  Just make sure you give everything a white (or colour of your choice) background or those parts end up being transparent in the png.

• Like 1