CP/G Seat: TDU position in DCS World 2.8.1.34667.2 (blocks vertical racks of buttons)

salsantana

I've just done a clean install of World 2.8, recovering from a hack attack. I was using Open Beta over some years but saw the "best for single players" bit and decided to try the non-Open Beta. Until last week I'd had a pretty accessible full view of TDU and MPD's, able to access innermost vertical racks of buttons, even though they were visually blocked. The ability to "see through" is great.

This version I'm now using seems to have put the TDU much farther astern, better to say "too close to face" with greater blockage of the components beyond and a lot more "feeling around". Any field-of-view corrections or, better, a way to push the TDU toward the dashboard? There's a lot of RCtrl-RShift-NUMx maneuvering to lean over to see the buttons. Gets quite tedious.

And/or would a TrackIR be a sensible means, helping the gunner lean left/right?

The head position was updated in the same update that gave us the pilot models. So I suspect that adding the model to the cockpit revealed that the default view position was too far down and aft. 

The current position certainly seems correct, anecdotally the TDU should stick way out and really be in your face, as it is in DCS now.

If you dont already have some form of headtracking, ie VR or TrackIR, then yes I very much recommend something like that. It completely changes the DCS experience IMO.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

On 1/18/2023 at 4:13 AM, Swift. said:

The head position was updated in the same update that gave us the pilot models. So I suspect that adding the model to the cockpit revealed that the default view position was too far down and aft. 

The current position certainly seems correct, anecdotally the TDU should stick way out and really be in your face, as it is in DCS now.

If you dont already have some form of headtracking, ie VR or TrackIR, then yes I very much recommend something like that. It completely changes the DCS experience IMO.

ARGH!!!! I inadvertently hit the "Mark as Solution" button on my post....... trying to backtrack to properly credit Swift. as the solution.

Thanks Swift. Interestingly, perhaps 6 weeks prior to the subject update, I'd somehow stumbled upon the perfect CP/G FOV with minimal encroachment of the TDU on forward components.

I've been convinced in other scenarios that without TrackIR I'm kinda locked in to the default field of view in any given cockpit. In lieu of growing a third hand to control NUMpad panning, which could take months, headtracking definitely needs to happen.

Edited by salsantana
trying to correct my "Mark as Solution" fumble!!!

Yes, they moved the position forward. Now it is not possible to lean forward because the camera is already in the most advanced position and e.g. the glareshield blocks the top lines of the annunciator panel. It was much better before the change

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thought I'd follow through with the cockpit visual solution I'd forgotten about, mostly out of lack of need until the Apache's updated CPG pit view, and now in lieu of funding for a TrackIR........ I've mapped the clickable mouse cockpit control to mouse button 4, then use mouse button wheel down (3) to move camera about the pit. Leaning to either side is the key and it works....... much better than RCtrl-RShift NUM 4 and 6. I'd actually wondered what the LShift + F1 is supposed to do; it's the default for the camera transpose, but what I'd missed was that you need to be in clickable mouse cockpit mode to be able to freely transpose camera about the pit with mouse wheel held down (as I've set it, anyway)

escaner and Swift. big thanks for your insights on the default camera position change.

Are you guys using Snap Views for this kind of thing?

You can setup a camera position and save it to a Snap View "slot" that can be activated for the duration of a button press, then when you release the button, it goes back to the default view.  This works well with a hat switch on your HOTAS so that you can hold LEFT on the hat to snap to a view of the left MPD and grip, then manipulate the cockpit buttons with the mouse, then release the hat.  Maybe holding the hat DOWN snaps to the KDU for keyboard input, then release.

Even with head tracking this is quite handy, as the snap view does not wander with your head, so the buttons you are aiming for with the mouse aren't drifting around while you try to click them.