Any way to make waypoints more accurate?

jubuttib

Really love the Viggen, but I've struggled with the accuracy of the waypoints for a while now. I understand that INS systems drift over time, but in testing where I've had barely 10 minutes of flight time when it comes time to attack, the target waypoint is already far enough off the target that if I was NAV bombing without visual aiming, I'd have no chances of hitting even a factory/tech combine a lot of the time.

Anything I can do to improve the situation?

Manual fixing, the ternav can be out by as much as 1/2 km when showing "0" drift. Doing a manual fix before firing weapons can bring that down to 0km drift if you get the fix done right.

Remember to try and pick a noticeable landmark or terrain feature, set as a waypoint, to make that visual or radar fix easier.

Edit: Or also the one minute version 🙂

Edited by Sideburns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Just in case to eliminate that thing in my mind: You set the target's QFE, right?

Ok, I'm out. 😄

• Like 2

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

In my experience TERNAV is extremely accurate unless you do one of the following:

1. Fly at higher altitude (forget the range for the TERNAV sensors) for an extended period

2. Fly over water for an extended period

I thought it was almost too accurate. Are you flying low enough to the ground? Or is this something new introduced very recently?

9 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

2. Fly over water for an extended period

You can improve the drift over water by flipping the Doppler mode switch on the left console from LAND to SJÖ.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

9 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

1. Fly at higher altitude (forget the range for the TERNAV sensors) for an extended period

500m AGL?

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄