DCS not responding

Ged33

after the update today I can no longer load into VR it gets as far as the menu page and freezes. task bar reports dcs not responding?

I have an older version on the same drive which loads fine. any ideas anyone?

I have tried openxr and steam vr but no luck :(

same here, will probably have to wait until tomorrow to hear anything on it.

2023-01-25 16:15:50 -0800: PimaxXR - v0.2.8
2023-01-25 16:15:50 -0800: PVR: 1.23.1
2023-01-25 16:15:50 -0800: Application: OpenComposite_Steam; Engine: 
2023-01-25 16:15:50 -0800: xrGetSystem: pvrResult failure [6]
    Origin: pvr_createSession(m_pvr, &m_pvrSession)
    Source: D:\a\Pimax-OpenXR\Pimax-OpenXR\pimax-openxr\system.cpp:55
2023-01-25 16:15:50 -0800: xrGetSystem failed with XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

No sirs!

Today's patch swapped DCS's standard runtime from SteamVR to OpenXR natively.  So, you need to make the following changes, which I just did one hour ago:

Run OpenComposite and set it to SteamVR mode.

Make sure that PimaxXR is also set to SteamVR.

Replace the Openvr_api.dll in DCSWorld/bin with the original one (is 585kb) if you did the 'per game' install of the 64bit DLL from OpenComposite.

Run DCS from Steam in SteamVR mode.

Once you reach the main menu, you can exit out again.

Don't bother touching OpenComposite again.

Go into "OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Media" and set the active runtime as WMR OpenVR runtime as default.

Go into PimaxXR Control Center (it'll throw up an error) and click "SteamVR" and then "PimaxXR" as the active runtime.

Go into DCSWorld/bin and create a shortcut for dcs.exe.   In the shortcut make sure that you add [yourdrive]*\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin\DCS.exe --force_enable_VR as the target.  You can then add this shortcut to start/taskbar etc.
(Note: "[yourdrive]*" refers to the drive you installed SteamLibrary on.  For me that's F: but for you, that could be C:)

Get PiTool started up and the HMD turned on and tracking working.

Click on your new shortcut

Enjoy!

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

Try starting DCS with a parameter DCS.exe --force_steam_VR. The game still starts in openxr (I use custom openvr_api.dll) but it does not crash anymore.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

after several checks with only WMR then WMR +open XR +native 585k VR dll with unbearable stutter, I finally found a stable and very effective FPS value (45 for my G2 on every kind of maps) using:

WMR+OpenXR with MR off and Open XR toolkit in CAS with turbo mode off and MR off (for now waiting a patch from ED)

so it works quite like the 2.8.1 version (open beta) where I was using MR auto in open XR and MR on in open XR toolkit

of course you also need to replace the openVR dll in the bin folder from the 585K native to the 1818k found through the open composite download page to make open XR toolkit active

I am so very satisfied with this 2.8.2 version which bring many fixes and improvements

Having open XR native in place running through SteamVR is a real plus for DCS  I've notice that from months using open XR toolkit and open composite that were strapping the steam VR use

No stutter, no lag and a high FPS value now with a very reasonable aspect of the terrain including using good MSAA and shadow settings in graphics parameters