Any chance of getting HDR?

imacken

The difference HDR makes to games is quite amazing if done properly - just look at a certain civilian flight sim - and I was wondering, are there any plans to make DCS HDR compatible?

• Like 5

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If they do, I would suspect it wouldn’t be until the new game engine is out, and possibly DLSS and Vulkan implementation. DCS really needs those core updates before anything changes graphics wise, however it would be a nice option to have it supported for those that can use it.

• Like 2

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

I'd say, DCS already has an incredibly high dynamic range.
What you are whishing for in the "HDR" term, is in reality a compressed, and lowered dynamic range.
If the range goes beyond what the monitor can project, one can "compress" (not the correct term) the brightest lights, and the darkest shadows to be visible.
A monitor can not show whiter than , say 127 white and 0 black.
So, if one define a point in the image as black, (0) the real image would demand a value of more than 127 in the brightest areas. Because real world does not have these limitations, and our limitations are our eyes. The can surely see more values than a monitor.
HDR= "High Dynamic Range" does not give higher dynamic range ironically.
To me, DCS' current dynamic range is one of its traits that impress me, and I feel it contributes to its realism..

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

34 minutes ago, Moxica said:

So, if one define a point in the image as black, (0) the real image would demand a value of more than 127 in the brightest areas.

I think he's asking about supporting HDR displays, and yes, these can display both more colors and brighter lights than regular, SDR monitors. 

Although I'm not sure what does it have to do with DCS Clouds and Weather System.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 hour ago, Moxica said:

I'd say, DCS already has an incredibly high dynamic range.
What you are whishing for in the "HDR" term, is in reality a compressed, and lowered dynamic range.
If the range goes beyond what the monitor can project, one can "compress" (not the correct term) the brightest lights, and the darkest shadows to be visible.
So, if one define a point in the image as black, (0) the real image would demand a value of more than 127 in the brightest areas. Because real world does not have these limitations, and our limitations are our eyes. The can surely see more values than a monitor.
HDR= "High Dynamic Range" does not give higher dynamic range ironically.
To me, DCS' current dynamic range is one of its traits that impress me, and I feel it contributes to its realism..

I am talking about HDR option being displayed on HDR monitors.

All I can say, is that the difference in other games that support that standard is quite astonishing.  It is literally chalk and cheese, and the range of DCS looks quite limited in comparison.  

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

+1

DCS is actually about the only game I have which is not supporting HDR. 

• Like 3

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

Thanks for that.

The good news is that, yes, it does work and it shows a fairly good improvement in image quality (contrast, etc.).

The bad news is that it certainly has quite an effect on fps in VeryHigh. Probably around 1-15% in my case.  Also, it has an unfortuante effect on the quality of text in the DCS UI.  It becomes a bit blocky and indistinct. 

Still, it's worth a go and thanks for the heads up!

Edited by imacken

HDR is incredible when properly utilised but even in the pancake monitor market, the hardware only recently started to mature - thanks to OLED.
My 3 year old monitor technically supports DisplayHDR600 but in reality it is little more than a gimmick since on LCD screens, HDR is next to useless.

But given the impact lighting has (both good and bad) on any image, yes HDR is a very big deal. I hope it will come one day, including in VR headsets.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

My 3 year old monitor technically supports DisplayHDR600 but in reality it is little more than a gimmick since on LCD screens, HDR is next to useless.

LCD can still give you the wider color gamut even though it technically can’t meet the contrast ratio spec. Still looked very nice if done well. OLED of course is the perfect tech for HDR. 
One thing to be wary of is that HDR requires everything to be rendered in it including the GUI etc or it can just seem pretty awful. Some games will switch to HDR only when running the game itself and leave the GUI in SDR. That’s fine. But mixing them together doesn’t work. An example in DCS would be the kneeboard images. That would have to be remastered in HDR in order not to look awful. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Almost all games I play either support HDR natively or by AutoHDR and they all look great!

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

HDR is incredible when properly utilised but even in the pancake monitor market, the hardware only recently started to mature - thanks to OLED.

But given the impact lighting has (both good and bad) on any image, yes HDR is a very big deal. I hope it will come one day, including in VR headsets.

I find the opposite with my LCD monitor a ROG PG32UQX that has HDR1400 (it can actually peak at 1800).  Find it very much not a gimmick but that may depend on the quality of the LCD monitor. Now if they would make an OLED that had a HDR above 400-600 that would be perfect.